Tennessee - National Park Carry - No Federal Buildings - What about restrooms?

This is a discussion on Tennessee - National Park Carry - No Federal Buildings - What about restrooms? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been studying up on the National Park CCW laws lately and everything seems fairly consistent. You can carry in the park but not in ...

Thread: Tennessee - National Park Carry - No Federal Buildings - What about restrooms?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Tennessee - National Park Carry - No Federal Buildings - What about restrooms?

I've been studying up on the National Park CCW laws lately and everything seems fairly consistent. You can carry in the park but not in the Federal buildings, Visitor's Centers, and such.

But what about restrooms? Most of these seem to be outside the actual offices in a little hallway, like at Frozen Head State Park, for example.

Has anyone encountered or looked into this before?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    National park buildings must be posted to be included in the carry ban.

That said, I was at the Ft Matanzas national monument, and the restrooms are posted. In face, every door into every structure was posted.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I've been studying up on the National Park CCW laws lately and everything seems fairly consistent. You can carry in the park but not in the Federal buildings, Visitor's Centers, and such.

But what about restrooms? Most of these seem to be outside the actual offices in a little hallway, like at Frozen Head State Park, for example.

Has anyone encountered or looked into this before?
    If the restrooms are not posted you should be fine but don't quote me on it. For what it's worth, Frozen Head is a State Park and does not fall under the same category as a National Park. It is perfectly legal to carry in a state parks in TN but do not go in a building that is posted.

I was at Frozen Head this past summer and I openly carried while there. Before my hike I had a nice talk with a park ranger who was complimenting my Husky. He did not mention my firearm or seem to mind at all.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    National park buildings must be posted to be included in the carry ban.

That said, I was at the Ft Matanzas national monument, and the restrooms are posted. In face, every door into every structure was posted.
    I was recently at the fort in downtown St. Augustine when I noticed the gun-buster sign. I struck up a conversation with the female park ranger about the irony of not being able to carry a gun IN A FORT!!. She agreed!

Here is some of the text of the code that covers National Park, and all, Federal buildings. I'll post the link to the entire text.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
    possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
    weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
    or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
    not more than 1 year, or both.

.....snip.....

(1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part
    thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
    employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing
    their official duties.

18 U.S.C. 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

It would not seem that stand alone bathrooms would fall under this. YMMV. I know one of the visitors center bathrooms on the Blue Ridge Parkway are separate from the center and not posted. If it is signed, it's in your best interest to follow the sign though. And the sign will likely be huge, around 18" x 18". Here is one I found locally.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

So this means if you "bear" arms you have to poop in the woods?

Links