Utah CCW application question

This is a discussion on Utah CCW application question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good Morning Folks, Yesterday I was told that non-Utah residents must have a CCW permit from their own state before applying for a Utah CCW ...

Thread: Utah CCW application question

Utah CCW application question

Good Morning Folks,

Yesterday I was told that non-Utah residents must have a CCW permit from their own state before applying for a Utah CCW permit? Can anyone tell me if this is true?

Secondly, if you have a permit from your own state (in this case Colorado) and a Utah non-resident permit ...... THEN let your own state's permit expire .... can you still get a non-resident Utah renewal? (hope this makes sense)

Thanks for your help.....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have PA and Utah permits.

You need a permit from your state of residence to get the Utah permit if your state issues permits.

Do not let your residence permit expire and you don't have a problem. Concealed carry is all about responsibility and paying attention. If you are too absent minded or sloppy to keep your resident permit current you shouldn't be out in public with a loaded gun.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

+1 to what Fitch said.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

I believe Utah just changed its requirements in early May of 2011 that does in fact now require you to have your own state's ccw before receiving Utah's. According to my instructor at the time this was due to states getting tired of losing the income because everyone was going straight to Utah's ccw.

I only have my Utah even though I am an Idaho resident (I beat that deadline by 13 days if i remember correctly). But i know that i am required to obtain Idaho's ccw before i request a renewal for Utah.

Hope that helps

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I just received my Wisconsin permit. I was looking at getting either the Utah or Florida permit. I was looking at the Utah application and noticed one of the questions dealing with behavior involving moral turpitude. That could be a lot things that could involve a lot of interpretation. You could otherwise be allowed to own and possess firearms under state and federal law but they could not let you carry it because you wrote a bad check or something minor like that. I am not bashing anyone that is Mormon, but is that just part of the culture in Utah with much of the state being Mormon that they expect you to be a upstanding moral person and if you are not they will not give you a permit?

OP, here is a Permit Reminder from OpenCarry.com: USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community

SoleShtr, you might want to take a look at the AZ permit also. Less training requirement and, for me, a slightly better reciprocity number than UT (which I already have). If I had known about the AZ permit last year, I would have gotten that one instead of the UT (and it's required $65 class)...

Good luck.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    OP, here is a Permit Reminder from OpenCarry.com: USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community

SoleShtr, you might want to take a look at the AZ permit also. Less training requirement and, for me, a slightly better reciprocity number than UT (which I already have). If I had known about the AZ permit last year, I would have gotten that one instead of the UT (and it's required $65 class)...

Good luck.
    Yeah I thought of Arizona too but that wouldn't give me Florida. As of right now, Florida is not honoring Wisconsin permits. I would like to get Utah because that would make me legal to carry in Minnesota at which time I can't because they don't honor a Wisconsin permit. I do travel into Minnesota a number of times every year. But like you said the Utah permit requires a class. Instead of paying money for the class I could spend less than that to get the Florida permit and be done with it but in that case I wouldn't be legal in Minnesota. Not sure what to do yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfire View Post
    I believe Utah just changed its requirements in early May of 2011 that does in fact now require you to have your own state's ccw before receiving Utah's. According to my instructor at the time this was due to states getting tired of losing the income because everyone was going straight to Utah's ccw.

I only have my Utah even though I am an Idaho resident (I beat that deadline by 13 days if i remember correctly). But i know that i am required to obtain Idaho's ccw before i request a renewal for Utah.

Hope that helps
    Thanks for your reply, Sfire..... You are correct about the change. (I called the state of Utah ccw folks today.) Fortunately I renewed my Utah permit early last year and don't have to worry about another renewal for several years. At that time I just may be a Utah resident.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

This is odd. I rec'd my Utah CCL at the end of November 2011. I thought that was it. Today I rec'd a request for a new set of finger prints because the last set did not fit FBI standards. Soooooo does Utah issue a license before the backround check is complete? Seems like it.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post

You need a permit from your state of residence to get the Utah permit if your state issues permits.

IF your home state honors the UT permit. If not, then a home state permit is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Yeah I thought of Arizona too but that wouldn't give me Florida. As of right now, Florida is not honoring Wisconsin permits. I would like to get Utah because that would make me legal to carry in Minnesota at which time I can't because they don't honor a Wisconsin permit. I do travel into Minnesota a number of times every year. But like you said the Utah permit requires a class. Instead of paying money for the class I could spend less than that to get the Florida permit and be done with it but in that case I wouldn't be legal in Minnesota. Not sure what to do yet.
    Since you live in WI, you either need FL to honor the WI permit or get the FL permit to carry in FL. FL doesn't honor ANY non-resident permits.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    This is odd. I rec'd my Utah CCL at the end of November 2011. I thought that was it. Today I rec'd a request for a new set of finger prints because the last set did not fit FBI standards. Soooooo does Utah issue a license before the backround check is complete? Seems like it.
    You should have received a letter with the UT permit stating the issuance was conditional on the FBI check coming back positive.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; January 12th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    IF your home state honors the UT permit. If not, then a home state permit is not needed.

Since you live in WI, you either need FL to honor the WI permit or get the FL permit to carry in FL. FL doesn't honor ANY non-resident permits.

You should have received a letter with the UT permit stating the issuance was conditional on the FBI check coming back positive.
    So Utah sends a CCL subject to FBI check. If not clear they want the CCL back. Makes no sense to me. Oh well.
    BA

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    This guy is the first to state it correctly. Only if your state recognizes the Utah permit. For example, If you live in Maryland, you don't need a MD permit to get a Utah non resident.

Links