Left my Gun at home today

This is a discussion on Left my Gun at home today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stopped carrying for a while, and recently started back up again (no particular reason to both... i think). Today however is the first time ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MadMac

Thread: Left my Gun at home today

I stopped carrying for a while, and recently started back up again (no particular reason to both... i think).

Today however is the first time in a while I left my gun at home. I got up, got dressed (tightish sweater my wife bought me for xmas). My only 2 holsters are a 5.11 carry shirts (love it) and a don hume OWB (also love it).

Now, perhaps the gun is simply too big. I carry a sig p229, and I work in a small but professional office. I am conisdering a couple of options (especially in summer). Perhaps i need to investigate more carry options. Supertuck I hear does well with the 229. My other option is of course to get a smaller gun to rotate with (thinking 239).

Does anyone here frequently carry a 229? If so what are your methods of carry or do you rotate to smaller guns depending on dress and occasion.

Thanks in advance!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    3 holsters come to mind:
    Smartcarry
    Silent Thunder
    Galco Ankle Holster

Smartcarry - I may try this sometime so far i havnt bee interested dont know why.

Silent thunder - First I've heard of this, does anyone have any experience with these in a 229? might look into one soon.

Galco ankle would probably be a pain for the 229.

Not trying to be a smartass i just didnt understand that part of your response.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    my main carry has been a p239/40 gen 1 for many years. in the group are also a S&W 642, 332 and a K-T p380 in a holdster.

the S&W usually rides in my vest or coat pocket, left side and i think of it as my secondary rather than a back-up.
    it may sound like just terminology, but if one thinks of their other gun as a back up they may waste time trying to configure
    themselves to act with the main gun when actually the other on, the second one, is already in the right place to do the job.

as for the thiner p239....it is only thinner in the grips. not enough when carrying to make a big enough difference to warrant getting it IMO

or do you rotate to smaller guns depending on dress and occasion.
    YES
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post
    Galco ankle would probably be a pain for the 229.

Not trying to be a smartass i just didnt understand that part of your response.
    Sorry, was thinking of the smaller Sig... the others could still apply however, especially the Smart Carry, guys carry full size 1911's in them.

sgb
    Milt sparks vm ii
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    CrossBread Super Tuck

One of the biggest reasons for me leaving my gun at home over the years has been because I only had one carry gun, a Glock 19. It wasn't until I realized I needed to invest in a smaller gun for those situations where attire or simply laziness comes in. With the smaller gun, there is really no excuse not to be armed with something. And something is better than nothing. Even if it is a tiny little .22 or .25 caliber, it is better than being lazy and bringing nothing at all.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

A 229 isn't a gun I would consider for deep carry,I have shot and handled a 239 which is much easier to conceal,and Sig just came out with a 290 9mm,a friend just bought a pair of 290's so next week I'll get to test drive it and see how shakes out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post
    Now, perhaps the gun is simply too big. I carry a sig p229, and I work in a small but professional office.
    A little on the big side

I am conisdering a couple of options (especially in summer). Perhaps i need to investigate more carry options. Supertuck I hear does well with the 229. My other option is of course to get a smaller gun to rotate with (thinking 239).
    Hybrid IWB's are awesome, I have a Kholster (G26 and M&P40fs) but there all pretty much the same, Smart Carry is my hot weather holster (G26). Don't let them freak you out, they are MUCH more comfortable then you think they'd be. (After about 15 min at least).

I own a P226 and have never considered the P229 a "smaller" gun. I don't feel like looking up the dimensions, but I've held both and bought the 226 which is my HD gun in the bedroom safe. I can concealed carry a Glock 19 much more easily than either Sig and still have 15 rounds at my disposal. I traveled by car today and checked into a hotel tonight all the while carrying my G19 in a CrossBreed SuperTuck. It was very comfortable and concealed nicely.

I have a SmartCarry as well, but rarely use it. It is sooooo deep concealed, it's uncomfortable and nearly impossible to get at if I would need it.

The only time I busted a fellow concealed carrier was a guy in my office who tried to ankle carry a G26. In dress pants, your pant legs hike up when you sit down. When he sat across from me at a meeting, his entire rig was completely visible. We nicknamed him Glock in the Sock after that incident, and he never tried ankle carry at work again.
    adric22 likes this.

Sounds like short term I may look into a super tuck and a carry belt, or a smart carry system. I can get away with the 5.11 shirt is most work attire now. Either way ill probbaly look into a 239 or 232 for those times when i feel the 229 is too big.

What!.........,I can't........,dont do it again!

Links