Defensive Carry banner

State Line Gun Storage?

8K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Teeshot 
#1 ·
Is there any option to securely store your gun before entering a part of the country in which you would prefer not to travel with your gun (Specifically PA/NY line)? I would like to travel with my gun on my cross country roadtrip, but do not see FOPA protecting me since my destination is MA, and NY, essentially, does not recognize this federal law. I can recall seeing something to this effect many years ago in Canada, but my research has not turned anything up.

#2 ·
Welcome to Defensive Carry. Unfortunately, when it comes to NY, I am hesitant to offer you advice, but since your destination is not NY, you should be covered under federal transport laws. If your destination were in NY, your situation would be different. The important key is to research and understand the law in each state you will be traveling through. While a forum such as this one will have some excellent advice, it is no substitute for you to know the law.

#3 ·
Agree completely. Through my research i've come to the conclusion that I have no desire to bring my gun into NY or MA, but I would like to have it for the rest of the trip. I just wonder if there's anyplace to safely and securely store it before entering that part of the country.

#7 ·
Find a reputable gun store near the border and ask them to clean and lube it for you and you be back to get it in about a week or so. Gun gets a good cleaning and the storage only costs you what they charge you for the cleaning.

Reactions: WHEC724 and BkCo1
#14 ·
Chances are that throughout the States that you are traveling you will not meet reciprocity for all putting you in a bad situation putting you in the situation of open carry in the vehicle. I used to travel frequently across southern State lines with reciprocity (and some not) I now live in Maine and all of the surrounding States will crucify you if you end up with a pistol in your possession. I would have to say at the risk of serious persecution just leave it behind and write to your representatives in support of HR 822. I believe that MA has out of state permits (not 100%) but you wont get one. The cleaning thing may work in a near state but don't lock it up in a bank or public station....asking for trouble. (frequently dogs are brought in to sniff lockers and will hit on guns). It seems like in NY and MA is where you need it the most but there is no good solution. Write the State police for advice (although they are not required to elaborate on interpretation of law). You may be SOL

#15 ·
Ok people here is what you do. Call the hotel the you will be staying at in the last state that you are covered and ask if they have safes in the room or safety deposit boxes behind the front desk. As long as they are behind the front desk.

Ask to speak to the manager and explain that you will be staying in the hotel and need the use of the safety deposit box for an extra few days. You are leaving on a cruise out of PA and you do not want to bring your jewerly and extra money on the trip. Place any items you want in the box slide back into vault.

Your stuff is locked up in a safe deposit box that need two keys to open, Somebody is at the front desk basically 24/7 and there are camera(s) facing the front desk for their protection.

At the end of your cruise some back empty the box turn in the key and you are done. I will bet that there will be no problems or question asked.

There was a post about somebody who could not carry at the VA hospital and the banks would be closed after their visit to pick back up their firearm so I suggested the above case. Hotels are open 24/7. Yes, it would seem strange once a week stopping into the hotel but I am sure something can be arranged with the manager.

#17 ·
I belong to a biker board...several clubs post there. Anyway, they have set up a system where-by if someone from the board has the bad luck to crash or break down, he/she may call on another member for assistance.
If you volunteer to help, you put your phone number and location on that particular thread along with what services you have to offer. (Tools available, hospitals nearby, if you can put a brother up for the night, nearest motorcycle shop, etc.
Now IF one wanted to put up handgun for a few days, and they trusted fellow board members, someoneshould be able to start such a system here.
I, personally, would like to have a place near military bases that would take care of my stuff while on base.

#18 ·
I drove from AZ to Puerto Penasco MEX and found that the gas/general store, (on the US side), had lockers just for fire arm storage! Could there be the same services offered on the gun friendy side of the state border?

#19 ·
They weren't stupid enough to walk in with it and I didn't say they did. Anyone with any sense will leave the firearm in the vehicle, go in and let them know what you would like. An
officer will then come back out with you. They were very pleased to help out visitors that knew what the law was and wanted to abide by it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.