State Line Gun Storage?

This is a discussion on State Line Gun Storage? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any option to securely store your gun before entering a part of the country in which you would prefer not to travel with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: State Line Gun Storage?

State Line Gun Storage?

Is there any option to securely store your gun before entering a part of the country in which you would prefer not to travel with your gun (Specifically PA/NY line)? I would like to travel with my gun on my cross country roadtrip, but do not see FOPA protecting me since my destination is MA, and NY, essentially, does not recognize this federal law. I can recall seeing something to this effect many years ago in Canada, but my research has not turned anything up.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Welcome to Defensive Carry. Unfortunately, when it comes to NY, I am hesitant to offer you advice, but since your destination is not NY, you should be covered under federal transport laws. If your destination were in NY, your situation would be different. The important key is to research and understand the law in each state you will be traveling through. While a forum such as this one will have some excellent advice, it is no substitute for you to know the law.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Welcome to Defensive Carry. Unfortunately, when it comes to NY, I am hesitant to offer you advice, but since your destination is not NY, you should be covered under federal transport laws. If your destination were in NY, your situation would be different. The important key is to research and understand the law in each state you will be traveling through. While a forum such as this one will have some excellent advice, it is no substitute for you to know the law.
    Agree completely. Through my research i've come to the conclusion that I have no desire to bring my gun into NY or MA, but I would like to have it for the rest of the trip. I just wonder if there's anyplace to safely and securely store it before entering that part of the country.

Heard a suggestion somewhere to pawn it - obviously the viability of this depends on the value and number of guns, but for short stays it may be an inexpensive option.
    CaptSmith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WfatebB View Post
    Heard a suggestion somewhere to pawn it - obviously the viability of this depends on the value and number of guns, but for short stays it may be an inexpensive option.
    That's not a bad idea at all. I was thinking about some sort of lock-up for a rental fee, glad someone is thinking outside the box.

Administrator
    Just keep track of that pawn ticket.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Find a reputable gun store near the border and ask them to clean and lube it for you and you be back to get it in about a week or so. Gun gets a good cleaning and the storage only costs you what they charge you for the cleaning.
    BkCo1 and WHEC724 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Find a reputable gun store near the border and ask them to clean and lube it for you and you be back to get it in about a week or so. Gun gets a good cleaning and the storage only costs you what they charge you for the cleaning.
    Yes, this will work just fine!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JimAR - didn't realize I was answering a locals question - glad we don't have those worries around here.

Quote Originally Posted by WfatebB View Post
    JimAR - didn't realize I was answering a locals question - glad we don't have those worries around here.
    Hey, yeah! I'm in Fayetteville too. Thanks for the replies!

I've read where someone said he rented a locker at a bus station and left his gun there. I don't know how much the rental is but that might be an option.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Relative of mine, stopped at a municipal police station in Virginia and left it there for the day while sightseeing in Washington DC. The locals were happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    There was a recent thread by Gary Slider in which it seems to have been decided that a gun store can only take the gun for "cleaning" etc. if you are resident of that state.
    Another option is to rent a safety deposit box at a local bank near the border.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Chances are that throughout the States that you are traveling you will not meet reciprocity for all putting you in a bad situation putting you in the situation of open carry in the vehicle. I used to travel frequently across southern State lines with reciprocity (and some not) I now live in Maine and all of the surrounding States will crucify you if you end up with a pistol in your possession. I would have to say at the risk of serious persecution just leave it behind and write to your representatives in support of HR 822. I believe that MA has out of state permits (not 100%) but you wont get one. The cleaning thing may work in a near state but don't lock it up in a bank or public station....asking for trouble. (frequently dogs are brought in to sniff lockers and will hit on guns). It seems like in NY and MA is where you need it the most but there is no good solution. Write the State police for advice (although they are not required to elaborate on interpretation of law). You may be SOL

Ok people here is what you do. Call the hotel the you will be staying at in the last state that you are covered and ask if they have safes in the room or safety deposit boxes behind the front desk. As long as they are behind the front desk.

Ask to speak to the manager and explain that you will be staying in the hotel and need the use of the safety deposit box for an extra few days. You are leaving on a cruise out of PA and you do not want to bring your jewerly and extra money on the trip. Place any items you want in the box slide back into vault.

Your stuff is locked up in a safe deposit box that need two keys to open, Somebody is at the front desk basically 24/7 and there are camera(s) facing the front desk for their protection.

At the end of your cruise some back empty the box turn in the key and you are done. I will bet that there will be no problems or question asked.

There was a post about somebody who could not carry at the VA hospital and the banks would be closed after their visit to pick back up their firearm so I suggested the above case. Hotels are open 24/7. Yes, it would seem strange once a week stopping into the hotel but I am sure something can be arranged with the manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links