Defensive Carry banner

What would YOU DO? (No firearms allowed in premisses)

3K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  medmunds21 
#1 ·
I carry in my state of Florida & I find myself in a delima during the work week. My place of employment as within their policy, "No Firearms Allowed!!!" I keep my weapon in the glove compartment on private property. I'm uneasy when I'm in my office, hoping no one steals me vehicle with weapon locked in glove compartment. What is your opinion of the matter? What would you do? :aargh4:

#3 ·
What kind of work you do, and if you worry about someone stealing your car, you might want to park somewhere else. A gun safe for autos is available, if your office is closed off, carry concealed and then put in desk drawer. Not sure of whole situation. I know where I work , on a boat, they have a no firearms allowed, but I am not leaving my weapon in my truck for 30 days while I am gone. I bring it with me, and no one is the wiser, I do not show it off, I put it in a safe place, and it is there when my days are up and time to go home, cause you never know what time or where your gettting off the boat....

#6 ·
Center of Mass (COM) makes a good safe, I have one for each of my three vehicles, all keyed the same.

#30 ·
If it is so unsafe, then perhaps he should find a new job? Wouldn't you agree? For him to carry against their wishes knowingly violating the employment agreement he has with them is wrong. I would argue it is fraud as he is knowingly taking a paycheck even while violating the agreement. Not to mention this wouldn't help any future employment opportunities if he loses his job for carrying a gun.

Best thing to do would be quit and find a gun friendly job. Second best don't carry and hope for the best.

#8 ·
I would go with a gun safe mounted somewhere out of sight, since most of the times people break into cars at least 2 times in my life it happened to me the armrest and the glovebox are the only places they looked. Never checked the trunk or they would have got some expesive tools, subs, 6 disc cd changer, and a amp. Instead they got a couple ones, some change, and a old Ipod that was worth about $30

#12 ·
What I have done

Most of the replies do not really help the problem, a safe is at least a preventative method for a break in, but pointless if stolen (no better than the glove box). it seems like you have a few option, 1 continue what you are doing and pray, 2 hide your gun in a briefcase or bag and don't tell a sole 3 stop bringing it to work. I don't think there is a good solution to this one. I had this problem and I had a lunch cooler with a zip out bottom. I would slide it in there and then it would get locked in my desk..never an issue (although against policy). Someone mentioned there pistol is insured..irrelevant. We lose our rights when we become irresponsible and allow criminals to access our weapons (like glove box, or even a safe if vehicle is stolen).

#13 ·
Most of the replies do not really help the problem, a safe is at least a preventative method for a break in, but pointless if stolen (no better than the glove box). it seems like you have a few option, 1 continue what you are doing and pray, 2 hide your gun in a briefcase or bag and don't tell a sole 3 stop bringing it to work. I don't think there is a good solution to this one. I had this problem and I had a lunch cooler with a zip out bottom. I would slide it in there and then it would get locked in my desk..never an issue (although against policy). Someone mentioned there pistol is insured..irrelevant. We lose our rights when we become irresponsible and allow criminals to access our weapons (like glove box, or even a safe if vehicle is stolen).
I agree with you that there really is no perfect solution. But disagree about how you define "irresponsible". Keeping a firearm in a locked vehicle in a locked compartment or safe is responsible IMHO. I believe it is more irresponsible to bring a firearm into a workplace where it is prohibited than it is to keep it behind lock and key in a car.

Just my viewpoint,
Doc

#14 ·
I feel you should bring it in with you, or move down here to NC!

Here in NC, as of DEC. 1st state law trumps company policies by allowing people with a CHP to bring their pistols with them on private property as long as they store it in their vehicles in a locked compartment when they are working. The revised castle law changed a lot of things for the better, this us just one of the smaller changes that occurred.

Good luck to you with your issue.

#15 ·
To Meds. Since you do not state what type of job you do I will assume typical office job. Sitting at a desk vs replacing roofing shingles. I would carry at work vs leaving the firearm in the vehicle. I would rather risk ( A small risk) of losing my job vs losing my life. I own my own business so no chance of getting fired.

I install trailer hitches and I lay on both sides and on my back. So carrying in IWB or OWB or SOB (small of back) is out.I have been carrying in a smart carry for the last 2 months and my brothers who work with me everyday, they have seen me change my shirt and still have no idea that I am carrying a Glock 26. If they have no idea nobody else in your office will. Unless you get frisky with the copy girl, no problems.

Your personal safety is your personal choice. Yes, getting a new job may be hard to get but you will be alive to try. Also here in NY you may not leave a firearm in a vehicle to prevent it from getting stolen. If I had no choice I would install a real guardal safe in the vehicle. com boxes are great for a quick trip in and out of the post office but I would not leave a firearm in a unattended vehicle all day every day. Just my .02 cents

#16 ·
I agree, I should have been more careful in my definition. I saw a post that says get the Club and a safe and I guess that is the closest to a good solution. The poster being from a higher crime area known for break ins makes it that much more difficult. When guns from law abiding citizens get into criminals hands and are used for evil it puts us in a much more difficult situation. No easy solution.

#17 ·
My place of employment has within their policy, "No Firearms Allowed!!!" I keep my weapon in the glove compartment on private property. I'm uneasy when I'm in my office, hoping no one steals my vehicle with weapon locked in glove compartment. What is your opinion of the matter? What would you do? :aargh4:
First, get a good, inexpensive car gun safe.

Carrying against your companies policy will most likely end your employment with them at some time.

That said.....it might save your life.
Tryin' not to confuse what you do with what you do to survive? One day something has to give as the conflict is unnatural. Personally, I would comply with company policy as you seem to do but mark a tally in the "con" column of working for that company. And I agree that a gun in a car not at hand is good for nothing but a thief. A gun safe is just a layer of security.

#18 ·
First you have to find out if posting a sign in your state is backed by a statute or is just the owners wishes.

In some states, (such as VA) a no guns sign posted on private property has no legal backing. So it comes down to do I want to honor the owner's wishes by not carrying on his/her property. Now if they ask me to leave and I refuse, I can be charged with trespassing.

Or Some states if somebody posts a sign and you ignore the sign you may be facing a penalty on this alone.

Either way you need to learn your states laws and find out what you can and can't do.

#19 ·
OP, you didn't state what type place you worked for or if they have "company parking." Except for a few places where it can be banned (Aerospace industry, defense industry, etc.), it is not illegal for a CCer to store a firearm inside their vehicle, but it is illegal for the comapny to search the vehicle. For instance, if Walmart prohibited employees from carrying firearms at work, Walmart cannot prohibit them from securing the firearms in their vehicles nor can WM conduct a search of the vehicles for weapons while parked.

At an aerospace company I worked at, I could drop off my firearm at teh guard shack and pick it up on the way out.

#20 ·
Carrying against your companies policy will most likely end your employment with them at some time.

That said.....it might save your life.
what do you think will happen first? ..... I will take door number one...... lose your job first

#24 ·
That's exactly the way I feel about it. But all I had to do was think about how I would explain losing my job to my young kids, and telling them that they had to do without because of my selfish desire to carry my gun at work.

The counter argument, of course, is that it would be a lot worse if I got killed as a result of being unarmed. But I think that the odds of that happening are so remote, it just isn't worth taking the risk of losing a job in this economy.

Definitely a tough choice. Thus the two running threads on the subject.

It's seems easy to just say "screw them", but there are potential consequences that are not minor.

#26 ·
There is no good answer for this one that I can think of. Leaving the gun in the car, even with a safe has risk. As does leaving it at home of course, someone could break into your house. Carrying it in violation of company policy can get you fired. Not a good option at all. I think the gun safe in the car, along with the club and a car alarm is how I would go.

#28 ·
If you work in a small privately owned company, have you tried asking for the policy to be changed to 'no illegal firearms allowed', and 'no legal firearms visible'? Just ask because chances are that the policy came from a general employee handbook that their insurance company gave them about 20 years ago when CCW wasn't available or an issue for most people. The owners may ask why, and you just inform them that there may be people who would choose to carry a firearm for protection, legally, and this change might save one of their employee's lives one day. Don't mention mass office shooting or anything like that - mention that some people get stalked to work and shot in the parking lot or inside and a gun in the car or at home is of no use.

Unless someone brings up the discussion, it will never change in most places of business. The worst thing they can do is say no, and then you drop it.

#31 ·
Job Interview:
"Sir, can you tell us why you left your last job? We called them for a recommendation but they refused."

"I willingly and purposely violated company policy, so they fired me."

"Thank you, sir. We'll be in touch if anything comes up."

Yeah, right. The mortgage suddenly looks much bigger now, doesn't it?

#32 ·
My opinion: You have three options:
  1. Leave the gun at home, or
  2. Leave the gun in a safe in the car, or
  3. Find another job where you are allowed to carry (this may take several years).
Take your pick.

Carrying in the work place against the employers orders is not an option that makes sense for a law abiding concealed carry citizen.

Fitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.