People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

This is a discussion on People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very interesting story. On the part about people not stopping. I'm not surprised. I've been in a few similar accidents myself and I've never been ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

Very interesting story. On the part about people not stopping. I'm not surprised. I've been in a few similar accidents myself and I've never been injured before. The worst that has happened is that the airbag bent my glasses up. So if I saw a similar accident I probably wouldn't expect a person to be injured and I'd rather just go on about my daily business. Even if a person were to be injured, I'm not an EMT. I don't really know what I could do to help somebody. In fact, I'd be afraid of making their injuries worse if I tried to move them and maybe getting sued or something. That is how our society is now.

Don't get me wrong. If I saw some kind of accident and knew people needed help and it was obvious there was something constructive I could do, I would certainly stop. Unfortunately, I can't think of an example of such a situation off of the top of my head. I did stop once, actually, just so I could be a witness to police since I saw an accident actually happen.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Very glad you're on the mend... I'm sure you may be stiff and sore for a few days. Hope you get your sidearm back without a hitch. (LEO's evidence locker is the safest place for it when it's out of your control). And thank you for an excellent write up.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Very interesting story. On the part about people not stopping. I'm not surprised. I've been in a few similar accidents myself and I've never been injured before. The worst that has happened is that the airbag bent my glasses up. So if I saw a similar accident I probably wouldn't expect a person to be injured and I'd rather just go on about my daily business. Even if a person were to be injured, I'm not an EMT. I don't really know what I could do to help somebody. In fact, I'd be afraid of making their injuries worse if I tried to move them and maybe getting sued or something. That is how our society is now.

Don't get me wrong. If I saw some kind of accident and knew people needed help and it was obvious there was something constructive I could do, I would certainly stop. Unfortunately, I can't think of an example of such a situation off of the top of my head. I did stop once, actually, just so I could be a witness to police since I saw an accident actually happen.
    There is training available so you will know what to do.

As far as I can recall, no Good Samaritan here in Washington State has been successfully sued if they had been acting within the bounds of their experience and training. Professional responders, on the other hand, have been.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

RM597

"As far as I can recall, no Good Samaritan here in Washington State has been successfully sued"

Being sued is a pain and can be very expensive, successfully or not.

VIP Member
    Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery for you both.

I'd like to see a campaign for good citizens to train as First Responders, and laws to indemnify them against lawsuits. Maybe we could cut down on the court docket if lawyers were made to settle matters between themselves on the field of honor with a set of dueling pieces. Any seconds?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Happy you are ok and on the mend, you can replace things!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hey 9mm, I'm very glad you're okay. Trust me, I know exactly what you went through in that accident. Lots of different things going through your mind and somewhat chaotic to boot. Plus the added stress of having to keep track of a weapon. Making sure it remains secured and doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Like your state, Missouri is not a state you must inform LEO's unless they ask you. Therefore, you really had no choice. I'm confident you'll be able to get your weapon back as easily as the officer said it would be. Your friend just lucked out that the officer didn't ask her about her firearms.

Which brings us to the question... What do you do if for whatever reason, you lose your EDC weapon for perfectly legitimate reasons? In this case, a police officer took custody of it because your destination was going to a place where guns were prohibited. It could have just as easily been a situation where you had to send your weapon to a gunsmith for repairs.

Solution? You should have at least one other handgun at home which you can use while your primary EDC weapon is not in your possession.

You never know for whatever reason you may either temporarily, or permanently lose your primary weapon. Always a good idea to have a spare at home which you are just as competent with so you don't have to borrow one from a friend, or go out and buy a new one you haven't had any experience with. Even if you buy the exact same model, you are still getting something you haven't personally worked out with to learn it's particular quirks.

If for some reason, you were the victim of a stalker or just the dumb luck of having the one time you really needed it, was during the time it was in police lock-up. I'd want the comfort of knowing as soon as I got home, I have the means to re-arm myself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's great to hear that your health seems unaffected.

It gets away from your original post, but I'm from WA also and wonder what makes you think CC in a hospital is illegal?

D
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

Get better soon. As for what to do if you see an accident, simply pull over, call 911 and let the people know you called 911. They will feel much better knowing not everyone is just driving by. In this instance you could have helped her get out, or recommend she stay in the car (depending on circumstances).

Thanks all for the good wishes. I am, as expected, very sore and bruised today but pretty sure it's all just soft tissue stuff that will take time to heal up. Not the first time....

Several people brought up the identification of my 5.11 bag....it's a PushPak that I often use for purse carry. And I discussed it here before I bought it and we discussed if this would be an issue....figured it wouldnt be. But it has been ID'd on me a few times...like people said, mostly by other carriers. But I'm not happy about it and will be reconsidering carrying it...darn shame too cuz it wasnt cheap (but not real expensive either). And I dont think just removing the 5.11 label (if I can do so without damage) will be enough.

As for another weapon, yeah Bark, I know :-P I just cant afford one right now. (At least not the quality that I consider appropriate). I chose to buy my mounted shooting guns last yr...that's 2 guns. However I did buy real .45 LC ammo for them, I just never tested it. I didnt load those up last nite, but I can.

At the gun range, my friend (also a mounted shooter) and I looked at guns in the shop...we LOVED the look and feel of the LC9. And it's not super expensive, so I think I'll save for that and then retire my blocky but reliable M&P to the nightstand.

Yup...last nite it was just 2 ladies, out on the town, shootin' it up! Just didnt have the ending we planned
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Now that everyone has a cell phone, they figure you have already called. If it's a "bad" wreck the 911 center gets flooded with calls. That's actually how they determine how "bad" of a wreck it is! Even I as a Paramedic don't usually stop at a wreck if it just looks like a fender bender. Absolutely nothing I can do to make things better. Crash scenes that are clogged with bystanders and their cars can really complicate traffic.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Update: No gun so far, and probably not until Monday.

I knew this was going to happen, but feel/felt powerless to stop it

Accident: Mon nite

Tues: too sore to drive

Wed: police property room closed to public

Thurs (today): call, only get machine, go to Everett property room. No gun there.

Get phone # to call, several back and forths but the jist is: the gun has not yet been moved from the local precinct to evidence/property facility...that only happens on a particular schedule. Also, in a message they left for me....great news! I'm not on any "wanted lists!" Really?

Gun will be moved today, property facility has limited hrs tomorrow (Fri). If I cant get there tomorrow, no gun until Mon. A week.

I asked specifically when I handed over my gun. He said 'it will be there waiting for you, just bring ID." Well, I'm waiting for it.

I am not surprised....it's police procedure, lots of wasted time. But I am disappointed and frustrated that even with my eyes open, I was unable to avoid this. And was treated like a potential criminal because I own a gun (ran me thru Wanted)....bet they wouldnt have if they'd had my laptop for 'safekeeping.' Yes, I am annoyed...at myself and the system.

Note: I will no longer be using my 5.11 Pushpak for carry. It didnt help in this situation, BUT I do remember now...at some point while we were standing around (no one offered me a seat anywhere...no cop, no fireman...and I could barely stand and the 2 door car only had one operating door and my also injured friend was sitting there.)...We stood around for some time and someone did ask to see my CPL, which I did show. I dont remember any more details about that.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Now that everyone has a cell phone, they figure you have already called. If it's a "bad" wreck the 911 center gets flooded with calls. That's actually how they determine how "bad" of a wreck it is! Even I as a Paramedic don't usually stop at a wreck if it just looks like a fender bender. Absolutely nothing I can do to make things better. Crash scenes that are clogged with bystanders and their cars can really complicate traffic.
    NO one stopped. There were car parts and glass all over. It was not a fender bender and neither car could be driven. People just continued to drive around us and more than one nearly hit us while outside the vehicles.

BS...I guess I come from a different generation or different background. I have never driven past an accident of any kind that I didnt stop and offer aid (I do have some training) unless there was already a number of people assisting.
    Fortune favors the bold.

I've been in the system too somewhat like that. Huge hassle to get your stuff back when it was "stored". Seized property is easier (don't ask me how I know).

Hang in there 9mmare.

In hindsight, you should have got the name and contact info of the officer that took the weapon. If anything you could have contacted him to maybe help get the ball rolling a little faster, or at least regained possession while it was at the local precinct.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I've been in the system too somewhat like that. Huge hassle to get your stuff back when it was "stored". Seized property is easier (don't ask me how I know).

Hang in there 9mmare.

In hindsight, you should have got the name and contact info of the officer that took the weapon. If anything you could have contacted him to maybe help get the ball rolling a little faster, or at least regained possession while it was at the local precinct.
    Thanks Sticks.

I do have that info, he gave me his card and the case number. He was very helpful, or trying to be. However I went to the Everett property building where he told me my gun would be waiting. After all the phone calls, I had to leave and go to a doctor's appt so couldnt go directly to his precinct. And according to the sargeant I did speak with, the gun will be moved today.

According to the doctor, I'm going to live
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links