People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-( - Page 3

People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

This is a discussion on People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry this happened to you, and glad you are doing better. Just remember that it is bureaucracy, not malice that is making things so painful. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

Sorry this happened to you, and glad you are doing better.

Just remember that it is bureaucracy, not malice that is making things so painful.

As ConcealedXDm implied, I know of no law that you can't CCW in a hospital in WA state. If I'm wrong about that, I'd like to know. :-)

You shouldn't beat yourself up about the details between when you were hit and getting to the hospital. The reality you were going to get separated from your bag in the hospital and so you had to secure it somehow. The officer is as good of a person to help you with this than anyone.

Remember, unless they had actual police officers at the hospital security, they are just some random guys. Personally, I'd rather have the officer secure the firearm as he hopefully understands basic firearms safety.

Also, keep in mind you had no way of knowing your friend's experience was going to be so smooth. It easily could have not.

When you are sitting in the ambulance it is difficult to know exactly what is going to happen when you get to the hospital and in the end, your firearm was secured, you have the officer's business card and most importantly, you walked away (so to speak).

While I'm sure it isn't any comfort right now, esp. with financial limitations, but Bark'n is right. You need a spare. Consider how less stressed you'd be right now if you went home and simply strapped on the spare. And, more importantly as he pointed out, if you ever need to use it to defend yourself, you will lose it to evidence for some long time if not forever. This will not be the time to not have a firearm if the perpetrator has buddies looking for you.

And I'm sorry nobody stopped. It is a sad commentary on our society, but keep the faith that not everyone is callous and disconnected.

Best wishes,

-john

Thanks BZDog...yes you and BarkN are right...I do need something else, altho the SA revolvers are both loaded with real .45 LC ammo right now...but I have never shot real ammo out of them. I kept meaning to take them to the range and shoot with it, just for chuckles and to see the difference in kick. But never did.

And it's even harder knowing I have my eye on the next one, when I can afford it! Now I want it! LOL, but must wait unfortunately. I deal in cashola only.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Glad you are on the road to recovery, be patient it will work out I have faith. Thank you for sharing your trials best wishes and godspeed.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

FWIW, since you already have and apparently like the M&P9 full size, you might consider the M&P9c for your next firearm. AFAIK, you'll be able to share mags with your full size, you'll already be familiar with it, and it would be conducive to on-body carry, which is better in many ways than any sort of in-bag carry.

-john

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Hope you get your gun back and you heal quickly. I have been reading this thread thanks for the updates. My son is an EMT currently in Paramedic school, I'm going to talk to him about their procedures for circumstances like this.

Got my gun back yesterday!

I called Everett Police Property twice and left a message asking if it had been logged in yet....this was the request of the machine, said someone would call back.

No one ever called. With limited hrs that they were open and Monday a holiday, I took the risk and drove in.

It was there. It took 20 minutes for the 2 people on duty to get it for me. I understand there is paperwork involved but there were no other people there, period, either day I was there. Place was deader than a doornail.

I got my gun, zip tied. Magazine in an envelope with all 17 bullets ejected???

No holster. That is still missing (& so is my plus 1 that they ejected...not an issue, just an observation) and I need to follow up but I wanted to get out of there with my gun first.

I slept better last nite

Thanks again for all the well wishes and advice.
    mel5051 and atctimmy like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Glad to see that you're feeling better....that was a well written blow by blow of what occured. I've never considered how I'd proceed in such a situation....food for thought.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I'm sorry you had to go through the hassle of it all. I know from experience that is the EMS, ER, and discharge process are all pains to deal with.. On top of that you had to deal with your pistol being "stored"

Anyway,
    RCW 9.41.300 states where you can not carry.. Hospitals are not on the list. They may have signs posted there.. How you handle that is up to you. You're also not required to follow signs. (RCW 9.41.290)

Just thought I'd share.

Glad you're on the mend and got your M&P back.

+1 to the poster that suggested you consider a M&P9C as your second gun. Great gun, shoots pretty much the same as the full M&P. The full sized 17 round mags fit the C, but not the other way around. The c mag holds 12+1.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

No holster. That is still missing (& so is my plus 1 that they ejected...not an issue, just an observation) and I need to follow up but I wanted to get out of there with my gun first.
    Did you fill out a claim or whatever is necessary regarding the property they lost?

Michael

[hug] I'm glad you're alright, and I share your outrage that nobody stopped to check on you. I witnessed a rollover out by Quincy once, and I stopped immediately and had Dispatch on the phone before I got to the car... a good half dozen other people stopped... maybe it's an Everett thing?

Glad you got your pistol back... shame that it took so much legwork on your part, but it could have been worse. Add me to the chorus though of 'what makes you think you couldn't have it at the hospital?' AFAIK, there is no such restriction, and they most likely would have just dropped your purse in with your personal effects without even looking at it. I've carried in hospitals before (but never been an armed patient) and didn't even see any signs up.

Again... real glad you're okay. Take it easy till you're up to speed again.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Glad you're okay. Good write up on the incident. Hope things continue to go well.
    SCGunLover1

Hope you recover fully and have no trouble getting you gun back. I am surprised so many people took notice of your ccw purse. Are you sure they knew it was a ccw purse before they knew you were carrying. I would assume if they knew your were carrying that they would assume you had it loose in the purse, obviously not a good idea.

Glad you're not injured worse. This is a good reason to have several guns!!! A good excuse to buy several more.

I know how you feel regarding people and accidents. I hit a deer one time going 65 mph on a dark lonely stretch of country road. I was sitting there in a small car with all of the lights out on the car, hood and door crushed in. A car approached from the opposite direction and stopped. Two guys jumped out, grabbed the deer, and put it in the trunk of their car and took off. Never once even glanced in my direction. I couldn't get out of the car because the fender was jammed into the door. So much for people giving a hoot anymore. It's a shame really.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Glad you're not injured worse. This is a good reason to have several guns!!! A good excuse to buy several more.

I know how you feel regarding people and accidents. I hit a deer one time going 65 mph on a dark lonely stretch of country road. I was sitting there in a small car with all of the lights out on the car, hood and door crushed in. A car approached from the opposite direction and stopped. Two guys jumped out, grabbed the deer, and put it in the trunk of their car and took off. Never once even glanced in my direction. I couldn't get out of the car because the fender was jammed into the door. So much for people giving a hoot anymore. It's a shame really.
    that's just... wow
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links