People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

This is a discussion on People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read this as well. Very glad you are all ok. Been T-boned by someone running a red light once upon a time. Your story ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

Just read this as well. Very glad you are all ok. Been T-boned by someone running a red light once upon a time. Your story helps me think ahead in case for this sort of scenario. I am going to call the local clinic and hospitals to find out their process for someone who carries.

Get well fast,
    Kurt

2. Remove Ads

Thanks to those who pointed this out for the future (no law against hospital carry). I have seen a local hospital posted but never checked out the legality of that posting. I know more about when businesses post signs here in the state.

To answer a few more questions:

--the purse was legitimately called out by at least one person...Xray tech....who didnt know about my gun. We started chatting about guns. (Nice conversation too).

--I was happy that when they wheeled me into other rooms for tests, they always gave me my purse (I guess they dont want to be responsible for thefts in the ER rooms) and it went with me. My question (and I would have asked Xray tech)....if I had my gun, would there be any issues with it in the testing rooms? Too much metal near Xrays, etc?

--As for getting a M&P compact...I love my fullsize, very reliable, nice to shoot. But the compact has the same problem...both are bricks. Very wide. And heavy. So I am looking at single stacks for cc in the future. Will still be lugging FS around for now

--I didnt yet log a report for the missing holster. I called many times Saturday and kept getting msg that all lines were busy, call back (not 911, # on card cop gave me). We are in the middle of a series of snow storms here...cops are busy and I'm not going out unnecessarily. Will call again tomorrow, after the holiday.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Glad you're not injured worse. This is a good reason to have several guns!!! A good excuse to buy several more.

I know how you feel regarding people and accidents. I hit a deer one time going 65 mph on a dark lonely stretch of country road. I was sitting there in a small car with all of the lights out on the car, hood and door crushed in. A car approached from the opposite direction and stopped. Two guys jumped out, grabbed the deer, and put it in the trunk of their car and took off. Never once even glanced in my direction. I couldn't get out of the car because the fender was jammed into the door. So much for people giving a hoot anymore. It's a shame really.
    Wow. I hope you werent seriously hurt.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    [hug] I'm glad you're alright, and I share your outrage that nobody stopped to check on you.
    Again... real glad you're okay. Take it easy till you're up to speed again.
    Thanks.

Unfortunately, with 9 inches on the ground and more coming, not alot of taking it easy possible. Have gates to keep clear and need to knock snow off roof eaves. More than a few inches of snow rips ALL the gutters off of my house. Metal roof...snow slides off fast. Love watching the horses and dogs in the snow tho....they just love it!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Thanks.

Unfortunately, with 9 inches on the ground and more coming, not alot of taking it easy possible. Have gates to keep clear and need to knock snow off roof eaves. More than a few inches of snow rips ALL the gutters off of my house. Metal roof...snow slides off fast. Love watching the horses and dogs in the snow tho....they just love it!
    Yeah, I'm over on your side tonight (Bellevue, then Seattle tomorrow), and I'm amused that there's more snow here than the Yakima I just left... the passes are gonna be scary for the return trip.

Just take it easy as much as possible.

As far as gun choices, I have XDs in full size and compact, and the dimensions are almost identical to my Uncle's M&P FS and Compact. I find that having one of each is really handy. The weight doesn't feel that much different, but the shorter grip and slide make a big difference. I just picked up a Kahr (thanks Santa) for pocket carry, once I get some defense loads through it for a reliability check, but I consider it a dress-up compromise pistol, and maybe a backup. I really recommend owning all three... starting with the FS you have, a Compact smaller brother that takes the same mags, and only then a 'baby' gun for practicality.

But... it like so many people on this forum seem to forget, everyone's needs are different :)

And I'm with you... my dog doesn't have much experience in the snow, and he cracks me up...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

As far as gun choices, I have XDs in full size and compact, and the dimensions are almost identical to my Uncle's M&P FS and Compact. I find that having one of each is really handy. The weight doesn't feel that much different, but the shorter grip and slide make a big difference. I just picked up a Kahr (thanks Santa) for pocket carry, once I get some defense loads through it for a reliability check, but I consider it a dress-up compromise pistol, and maybe a backup. I really recommend owning all three... starting with the FS you have, a Compact smaller brother that takes the same mags, and only then a 'baby' gun for practicality.

But... it like so many people on this forum seem to forget, everyone's needs are different :)

And I'm with you... my dog doesn't have much experience in the snow, and he cracks me up...
    Nice Santa! The Kahrs are also high on my list, with the Ruger LC9. What caliber is your Kahr?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Nice Santa! The Kahrs are also high on my list, with the Ruger LC9. What caliber is your Kahr?
    9mm... I got the CM9, which came after months of comparing dimensions and weight, reading reviews, and fondling everything in the cabinet at the LGS.

It's sweet :)
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

9mm... I got the CM9, which came after months of comparing dimensions and weight, reading reviews, and fondling everything in the cabinet at the LGS.

It's sweet :)
    The only difference so far, from reading, that makes much difference to me is the trigger. Kahr is definitely supposed to be better but I've only dry fired both the Rugers and the Kahrs. I'm pretty sure I could adapt to most DA triggers, so price may make the difference.

(Back after 3 days with no power....but it'll probably go out again)
    Fortune favors the bold.

The only difference so far, from reading, that makes much difference to me is the trigger. Kahr is definitely supposed to be better but I've only dry fired both the Rugers and the Kahrs. I'm pretty sure I could adapt to most DA triggers, so price may make the difference.

(Back after 3 days with no power....but it'll probably go out again)
    I really like the trigger on my Kahr... and I've never fired the LC9, but I have fired the LCP, and I hated it...

-- John F. Kennedy

Just want to add my get well wish.

Also wanted to add that a posted hospital, even here where signs carry weight of law, usually does not apply if you are arriving by ambulance or to the ER in general as a patient. The posting is for visitors and non emergency situations. Because this was an emergency the hospital staff would follow what ever procedure they have in place, and you would have gotten the gun back upon discharge.

Springfield just came out with the XDS single stack 45 at about 1" thick and 29oz that may fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by cbhSUX View Post
    Springfield just came out with the XDS single stack 45 at about 1" thick and 29oz that may fit your needs.
    Link? I don't see it on either the XD site or the XDm site...

-- John F. Kennedy

Wrap up: So I finally got my holster back last week. After I called and left a message, the officer called me and we both agreed to check vehicles (my friend's from the accident & his patrol car) again. Before I could do that, the next day he called and said he found it in the trunk. He was going to put it in the mail to me but a few nites later another officer called and said that he was on patrol and had the holster and wanted to drop it off.

Done! And graciously handled by the officer I thought.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Link? I don't see it on either the XD site or the XDm site...
    I'm curious about this single stack .45 too.
    Fortune favors the bold.

I'm curious about this single stack .45 too.
    I did notice that there is a new .45 on the XDm site... and the stainless steel mags are abbreviated "SS", maybe that's the source of the confusion...

How are you doing after everything?

-- John F. Kennedy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links