People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

This is a discussion on People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, we had a great time at the range today...the ride home however stunk. People often ask how things are handled when you get injured ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: People ask so...accident - gun - ER :-(

Well, we had a great time at the range today...the ride home however stunk.

People often ask how things are handled when you get injured and are transported to the ER when you are carrying and guns arent allowed in hospitals. Unfortunately, I can now tell you my experience. Fortunately, it seems to have turned out...OK. Prognosis and getting gun back...both unknown at this time. *sigh*

Basically, someone ran a red light and we hit them. I was passenger. Driver had airbag, passenger, no.

Driver had 3 guns (one loaded), I had my EDC that I had been shooting, loaded. Both have current WA St CPLs.

Firemen were first on scene. EMTs took a long time, cops even longer. Friend tells firemen that we have guns in the car. Nobody cared.

Friend is transported first. I have already given statement to police, still waiting for transport. I do not mention the gun in my purse.

In ambulance I was waiting to leave for hospital to tell EMTs that I have gun. Unfortunately, cop sees 5.11 purse/bag and asks me directly. (I'm strapped head to toe on backboard, C-collar, the works). I was hoping it wasnt the cop but I couldnt actually see him. To obey the law (respond if asked), I said yes, my loaded firearm is in there. No one seemed to care much in the ambulance, including cop, and no one even asked if I had a CPL except an EMT later, in conversation.

Cop was nice and said...mostly to reassure me that gun would be safe in his care....that he would be happy to take it to the police station and put it in evidence (?) and I could pick it up any time. I specifically asked what I needed to get it back...he just said show up and show ID, no hassles. I said thank you. I do not know if he would have insisted on taking it if I said no. He liked the bag and the holster and asked if it (holster) came out. I said yeah, velcro. He said great and took the whole thing out.---Oh yes, somewhere in all this, someone asked me if the safety was on (l guess they think all guns have safeties)---I said yes as my gun does and it was----I made sure that he had my name correct and that was it.

Friend's experience: told EMTs in ambulance, she's not on gurney. Told security as she entered hospital (or EMTs did)...she and I had already reminded each other that we could not take them into the hospital legally). Security logged her 3 guns and took them.

Later while we were waiting for her to be discharged, security guard stopped by and chatted. Guns were fine, no big deal, just come and sign for them on way out. And that's what they did. Quick and easy, altho 2 younger security guards present didnt handle it as casually as the older one who initially secured them.

Overall:

Guns were non-issue with everyone we encountered (that was aware).

My Xray tech also commented on my 5.11 purse and asked about guns...had nice conversation about our weapons.

This was their first experience with knowingly transporting someone with a gun as far as my EMTs knew (except gunshot cases). They really didnt know the laws pertaining to carry in hospitals. They also were not concerned and a little curious about my friend and I. Firemen also didnt care.

Seemed to be pretty uncommon for the cop too but he was very nonchalant. I was very relieved by the fact that no one really attempted to handle my weapon, safety on or not. It seemed obvious the EMTs had little experience with a loaded weapon. I was glad that the cop took it in it's holster for the same reason. (S&W fullsize 9mm M&P)

Here is the most upsetting part: during rush hour, (we were in the slow lane, accident occurred in intersection) in Everett, WA, not one single person stopped to see if we were ok (and cars were steaming and I had to fight my way out of the vehicle when the door wouldnt open more than about 8 inches....glass & car parts everywhere...) Not one car stopped, not one person came to see if we were ok. They all just continued to drive around us.

No one from the other vehicle came to see if we were injured. Apparently they were not...when I finally exited our vehicle, I called 911 and I went over to see if they were ok. (2 occupants had already left the scene to call 911) According to them, they were all ok.

I'm glad this didnt occur to me until much later, after the initial trauma. I find it appalling even now.

Anyway: my lesson:....if I could redo it...or do it the way I tried to...I would do it the way my friend did. I would tell the staff *at the hospital* that I had my gun, not the cop. If I had been able to do so, I would have my (one and only) EDC gun back now. Like my friend does.

But I didnt have the option since directly asked (and boy, I tried to avoid it!), I am currently unarmed. (Friend offered me one of hers but as I am pretty unfamiliar with a .38 special, I didnt think it was a great idea). Hopefully I'll be able to go down and pick it up tomorrow.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Ouch...hope you get your goods back..rest easy, Im sure it'll work out

Glad the gun was a non issue, on a much more important note, I'm glad you're ok. Prayers for a swift healing coming your way.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Best of luck to you. Sorry about the accident.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Been there, done that (accident part). I feel you pain. Backboards suck. I hope that there are no lasting injuries from the event.

Glad the EDC was a non issue, although I'd find it a bit worrisome that, that many people ID'd the 5.11 purse. If your friend was present at the scene, I wonder if you could have asked that it be remanded to her possession, or at least have the officer hang on to it until she arrived.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Glad your OK, hope you don't have any issues getting your gun back.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glad to hear you're OK. Thanks for the clear and detailed report - you're an excellent writer.

Sounds like there's nothing very subtle about the 5.11 brand. Then again, it's probably only members of the armed community who will notice it.

Best of luck with all the downstream issues - like retrieving your weapon, physical recovery and so forth. Just getting along day to day is tough enough without all this on top of it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Glad you are OK and hope you will suffer no ill effects later from the wreck. Don't worry too much about the gun, time will sort that out, just take care of yourself.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Glad your going to be ok. I hope EDC back ASAP.

Best wishes on a swift recovery. And on getting your gun back without any hassles.
    Question Everything!

Glad you and your friend weren't seriously hurt.... Yeah, it's a shame how most folks react to accidents nowadays. Some consider it an inconvenience and others just like to look and stare. Every once and a while you'll find a diamond in the rough and they come to give aid without question...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Hope you are injury-free and back in business soon. It sounds as though the officer took possession of your firearm in the spirit of genuine helpfulness. Thanks for sharing a tough experience.

Glad to hear that no one was seriously injured and your being armed was handled maturely by the responders. Thanks for sharing your experience and best of luck in your recovery. Keep us posted.

VIP Member
    'Glad you're okay, 9MMare. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for a very informative and educational post. My son is an EMT, and has his CCW license, so he is one of the few first responders who knows exactly how to handle situations like this.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links