Defensive Carry banner

Another accident and how my gun was handled

3K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  Freedom Doc 
#1 ·
I did a real dumb thing trying to get home Sunday night. I was tired and a bit irritable and just was
just trying to get home (I was 2 miles away when it happened). At a major intersection in Edmond,
there was an ambulance with it lights running at the west entrance to the intersection; he was
waiting for the intersection to clear (it was busy). I was approaching from the south probably going
about 50 mph. I was trying to clear the intersection before the ambulance started. I guess I was paying too much attention to the ambulance, because when I looked in front of me there was an SUV right there (he had stopped suddenly due to the car in front of him doing so, to let the ambulance
clear). So I slammed on the brakes and hit the SUV probably going 35-40. I had a seat belt on and the air bag deployed.

The fellow I hit was extremely nice and hung around until I left in the ambulance. My chest felt really bad, but my worst injury was in my right foot. Two days later I still cannot walk, or just barely. I had dislocated a toe bone in my right foot, and the whole foot was swollen up. My vital signs
were not good so the EMT people wanted to transport me to the hospital. They found my gun (IWB in appendix position, G26). They took it out and gave it to the cop. I had called my daughter
(who is 21) to come and see. The police unloaded the gun and gave it to my daughter to take
home (that was really great, I thought). The cop needed to see my license and gun license and
was really cool about it.

I know I was at fault for not stopping and letting the ambulance go. I was glad to see how the EMT and police would handle a concealed weapon.

See less See more
#31 ·
Hope you get better soon, keep in mind people do ride bikes, harleys, no ones perfect but with some patience and flat out paying attention this wouldn't have happened...had a couple buddys nearly killed in similar situations, and I've been halfway under a car...not fun

#35 ·
I have seen more than enough "special" driving like this from the front seat of emergency vehicles.

Please tell us why you thought going through an intersection that you were not yet in was going to help the ambulance clear the intersection. Grrr...

On another note, I was on my way to work one day, had just changed lanes when the car in front of me, that had been zipping past, suddenly slammed brakes and stopped at an intersection from 45 mph. I banged it, the truck behind me, banged me in to her again. It was only after I stopped rolling into a driveway that I heard the distant sound of a siren. The lady in front of me must have had her window down and been in possession of superhuman hearing, the ambulance was almost a half mile away when the crash happened.

Note to all drivers: When you hear a siren, take your foot off the accelerator and look around. Slowly apply the brake and pull off to the right side of the road until the emergency vehicle passes. Sometimes you may have to pull to the left depending on the type of road, traffic conditions, and position of the emergency vehicle. Beware of what other cars are doing. Watch your rear for speedy followers. Some will leapfrog around you or not see you stopping. NEVER stop on the top of a hill or in a blind curve. If you cannot pull over or otherwise let the emergency vehicle pass, keep going the speed limit until you can. Stopping and blocking the emergency vehicle is counterproductive. If you are the lead car at a red light, once all other traffic has stopped, pull forward and move over to let them through. If an intersection has an open lane of travel, do not pull over and block it. If you are following an ambulance that is carrying your friend or family member to the hospital, DON'T! You will most likely be involved in a crash. If I am driving, I will turn off the red lights or pull over to tell you to back off, which doesn't get anybody to the hospital quickly.

Reactions: varob
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.