Another accident and how my gun was handled

Another accident and how my gun was handled

This is a discussion on Another accident and how my gun was handled within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a real dumb thing trying to get home Sunday night. I was tired and a bit irritable and just was just trying to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Another accident and how my gun was handled

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

Cool Another accident and how my gun was handled

I did a real dumb thing trying to get home Sunday night. I was tired and a bit irritable and just was
    just trying to get home (I was 2 miles away when it happened). At a major intersection in Edmond,
    there was an ambulance with it lights running at the west entrance to the intersection; he was
    waiting for the intersection to clear (it was busy). I was approaching from the south probably going
    about 50 mph. I was trying to clear the intersection before the ambulance started. I guess I was paying too much attention to the ambulance, because when I looked in front of me there was an SUV right there (he had stopped suddenly due to the car in front of him doing so, to let the ambulance
    clear). So I slammed on the brakes and hit the SUV probably going 35-40. I had a seat belt on and the air bag deployed.

The fellow I hit was extremely nice and hung around until I left in the ambulance. My chest felt really bad, but my worst injury was in my right foot. Two days later I still cannot walk, or just barely. I had dislocated a toe bone in my right foot, and the whole foot was swollen up. My vital signs
    were not good so the EMT people wanted to transport me to the hospital. They found my gun (IWB in appendix position, G26). They took it out and gave it to the cop. I had called my daughter
    (who is 21) to come and see. The police unloaded the gun and gave it to my daughter to take
    home (that was really great, I thought). The cop needed to see my license and gun license and
    was really cool about it.

I know I was at fault for not stopping and letting the ambulance go. I was glad to see how the EMT and police would handle a concealed weapon.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Glad that wasnt me sitting at that light on my bike. Hope you recover quickly and glad no one else was injured.

They handled it in a professional manner as they should.........speedy recovery.

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting for the sake of documentation. Get well soon.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Tough break, and hoping for your speedy recovery. Thanks for posting it.

VIP Member
    Get well soon.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    when pressed for time; is the time to take it slow--deliberate and easy.

that old adage...haste makes waste, i learned also cause it would take longer to correct the troubles caused by trying to
    take shortcuts than if i just accepted that its going to take a little longer than expected and suck it up.

hope you heal quickly and with no lasting complications.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about that. Claude Clay of course is correct. Haste makes waste. Every time. It is a law of nature.

On a side note, years back I read of some "invention" which was supposed to revolutionize emergency vehicle sirens to give
    drivers a better sense of the direction of the siren and the distance. If such exists, they sure don't use it around here. Often you can hear the emergency vehicle but can't figure out where it is coming from. It is hard to know whether you need to pull over or clear in some other manner or just keep chugging until they are really close. I know its not my ears as I've had them thoroughly checked recently and there is nothing wrong with my hearing.

Meanwhile, you have to watch for erratic driving from other drivers panicked and not sure what they are supposed to be doing.

Yesterday I had the guy in front of me pull over and stop on the right side of a 4 lane road. IT was pretty obvious the ambulance was going in the other direction toward the hospital, and there was no place for it to turn in front of us-- besides it was going too fast for such. I just didn't expect that guy in front of me to slam on the brakes. Fortunately I had distance and had slowed when I heard the siren.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hey, hope you heal quickly, let the insurance handle the accident. Glad everything worked out, don't feel too bad, there are surprises waiting for all of us along the road of life!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Also, speedy recovery. The best thing when you hear a siren is to start slowing down and safely making a lane open in case. Never slam on the brakes or what happened to you WILL happen. Many times there will be a second emergency vehicle following not far behind the first, be it LE or a firetruck or another ambulance, so don't get tunnel vision on the first one and think its all clear.
    Glad there were no issues with your Glock and like Hiram25 says, don't beat yourself up over it, we're all on that bumpy road called life.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Just out of curiosity. If your gun was being worn in the appendix position, does that mean your seatbelt was over the gun? Wouldn't that cause injury in an accident?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

hope you are feeling better! Question that popped up in my mind. Does your daughter have a cpl? I would think she would have to- to legally have your pistol in possesion. just curious..

Administrator
    All I got to say is.. play stupid games, win stupid prizes. At least it was no where near as bad as it could have been.
    "Just blame Sixto"

sgb
    Hope your feeling better soon
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Heal quickly, pay the ticket, slow down a bit...that's about it!
    JerryMac likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links