Laser or no laser that is the question?

This is a discussion on Laser or no laser that is the question? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am close to buying an LC9 (I think an LC9) whatever I buy should I get a Crimson Trace for the new gun....

View Poll Results: Laser or no laser

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have Laser love it

90 51.43%
  • Don't have laser love it

64 36.57%
  • Going to get laser ASAP

21 12.00%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Laser or no laser that is the question?

I am close to buying an LC9 (I think an LC9) whatever I buy should I get a Crimson Trace for the new gun.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I have trained and used them. They have there purpose but too many negatives in my opinion.
    TN_Mike and ironmike86 like this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Nice to have at times however never rely on them
    oakchas, TN_Mike and flintlock62 like this.

Yes they are worth it. I have trained and taught with and without and they offer advantages that cannot be overlooked. Like shooting from cover without exposing yourself. Use in low light when you may not be able to see. Just get a good light to go with it.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

I like the crimson trace I have on my LCP, because the sights are non existent and the crimson trace doesn't really add much bulk to the overall size.
    hienykins, JerryMac and NIS350ZTT like this.

VIP Member
    I appreciate the value added by a laser, but prefer to rely on proper training.

I'm actually in the process of weening myself off of my rifle scopes. I'm going old school - not for nostalgia, but for consistency and reliability.

Agree with Whec. Have no need of them.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    You might want to add a catagory to your poll. I don't have a laser, and I don't love it, and have no intention of getting one.
    suntzu, Pistology, Cyngen and 4 others like this.

Well in my personal tests. I shoot better with the sights than the laser. But to each his own. But I think lasers are absolutely useless unless they are pressure activated. Having to thumble for a switch, just makes things to complicated in a stressful situation

From watching people try to qualify with the laser pointer sites, I find that they spend way too much time trying to center the dot and not just snapping off a nice clean shot. They will stand there with the dot circling the x and not pull the trigger until they feel it is "perfect." In a real shooting, they will probably have micro seconds to think, react and get on target> If they get bogged down on that red dot, it could be over for them before they start shooting.

My best training involved an empty firearm and a 3 foot piece of dowel rod just a tad smaller in diameter than the barrel with just a little duct tape wrapped around it to get a snug fit. The dowel was inserted into the empty weapon's barrel, and I then was placed in front of a mirror three feet away. We practiced instinctively raising the weapon and pointing the dowel on center mass of our reflection, which was now a human target 6 feet away. We did this over and over and over and were told to do the same at home until our muscle memory was taught to instinctively point to center mass from 6 feet away.

Will it ensure perfect 10 ring shooting? No. Will it more than likely be center mass shot? More than likely. I can say that for me it was great. Without sites, from an instinctive draw, I can be on target and releasing rounds as I bring the sites up to bear, and have been able to keep them withing 3 inches of the x on either side.

Just an idea for those wanting to do similar training and forget the laser sites.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Quote Originally Posted by lordofwyr View Post
    From watching people try to qualify with the laser pointer sites, I find that they spend way too much time trying to center the dot and not just snapping off a nice clean shot. They will stand there with the dot circling the x and not pull the trigger until they feel it is "perfect." In a real shooting, they will probably have micro seconds to think, react and get on target> If they get bogged down on that red dot, it could be over for them before they start shooting.
    Agree 100% They add one more thing to a complicated situation. If they don't see the dot, then they might try to acquire the front sight, instead of just being trained properly and taking the shot.
    NCW Ray likes this.

The LC9 has pretty decent sights. It would not be needed per say, but can come in handy when you may not be able to use them. The LCP? with NO sights to speak of on it, it may help, indeed. Like others here, I would not get fixated on the laser though. I see it as an ADDITION to good sight shooting and for some sort of backup in the rare instance when your steel sights can't be used,( darkness or to help prevent exposing as much of yourself as possible ).
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    i vote yes get one. Here is why... I originally got one for my M&P40 because after reading and researching, it seemed that a lot of self defense shootings happen in low light. I also use mine to show students when they are jerking the gun or anticipating recoil. So it is used in two aspects for me.

However if I could do it all again I don't think I'd get the laser for carrying purposes, I would have got Night sights on my gun. Seeing how night sights are not an option on a LC9 (that I know of) I would get the laser because if you can't use the already low profile sights a laser can be mighty helpful. example: while being carjacked and seated in your car/truck, trying to aim using iron sights might not be an option. And as responsible armed citizens we are responsible for every round that leaves the chamber. I will know mine is going where the little red dot is.

I'm assuming you don't use this gun as a teaching aid, so that takes it out of that situation. I could have saved $240 and spent it on ammo/nightsights
    flintlock62 likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    one last thing if anyone says you shouldn't get one because it will "give your position away at night" then I ask yourself this question. So won't your muzzle flash in the dark also give your position away? It is a none issue if you use it properly.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    one last thing if anyone says you shouldn't get one because it will "give your position away at night" then I ask yourself this question. So won't your muzzle flash in the dark also give your position away? It is a none issue if you use it properly.
    That wouldn't be my reasoning, but to give my answer to your question, after my muzzle flashes, you won't know anything anyway.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links