Interesting quote

This is a discussion on Interesting quote within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, dor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is ...

Thread: Interesting quote

Interesting quote

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, dor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller

I thought it was interesting and wanted to post it up and see what you guys think.

2. Remove Ads

I think it is an awesome (are we saying awesome any more?) quote! and so very true...........

I'd put it on your signiture line!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    I like it for most part but maybe take issue with -
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure
    It is IMO possible to take quite extreme measures to avoid danger and that is what we as carry folks call situational awareness. Danger can and will find us at times - but no need to tempt things by outright exposure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I like it for most part but maybe take issue with -

It is IMO possible to take quite extreme measures to avoid danger and that is what we as carry folks call situational awareness. Danger can and will find us at times - but no need to tempt things by outright exposure.
    I don't think that she intended you never leave a dangerous situation, or be prepaired for one but that if you cower in your house, always afraid of what might happen and never enjoy life you might as well be dead.

BTW, I really do like the quote

Chris

I believe that is exactly right ChrisM!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

This from a lady who could neither see nor hear. That is a very humbling quotation when you consider her physical limitations and the courage and adventure she exhibited.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Assistant Administrator
    that if you cower in your house, always afraid of what might happen and never enjoy life you might as well be dead.
    ChrisM - point taken and that I agree with of course.

I put my own spin on that section - but we can probably go either way depending on interpretation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Trouble is out there, and it has found me. We can't let the evil-doers dictate our lifestyle, but we can be prepared. Helen is an inspiration to remain adventurous, but I'll have to pass on skydiving for the moment :)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

"I think that security is more of an "illusion" than it is "superstition."

i'd have to agree with security being an illusion....something we want to see and believe in but just isnt real! =O)

Lead Moderator
    Having had about 15 years to observe security from the inside, my take has always been that security is at least 50% intimidation and 25% smoke. Never did figure out the last bit.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Helen is an inspiration to remain adventurous, but I'll have to pass on skydiving for the moment :)
    C'mon, gunthorp! Falling out of the sky can be one of life's great pleasures!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumetre View Post
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, dor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller.

I make my own security, it is NO ONE else's responsibilty!

I don't go out of my to find trouble, but I don't let the threat deter my voyage thru life either.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I think that for most people there is a misunderstanding of what security is in reality. Most people never realize that security is a journey not a destination. As you are on the journey you can at times be more secure or less secure, but you can never be secure. There is no place on earth that is secure, there is no time in the past, present, nor future that is secure, there is no way to be secure. As human, finite beings we exist in an insecure environment called the human body. Because the body, the mind, and the spirit can betray you security is impossible. Disease, accident, and attack are all enemies and no matter how secure we make ourselves there is no avoiding exposure to risk. Ultimate security comes in only one form for us and that is death. When we are dead there is nothing anyone or anything can do to harm us. The question then becomes: Just how secure do you want to be?
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

First and foremost, Ms. Keller was a awesome woman who overcame many obstacles in her life, and I think you must ponder and really soak up what she is saying. First being blind she experienced life differently than we do who see, and looked at it from a very different perspective. Moreover, her position is almost somewhat superior to ours because her vision is untainted by what she see's as we are. Because, think about it are we ever really secure? Do we as men and women really live life as a vapor ? Yes, we carry weapons but when your flower is plucked there really is nothing you can do to prevent your departure and journey to be with your creator.

I think what she is really saying is "No Fear" I think Hellen Keller would have carried a pistol if possible. She stood her ground and decided not to let fear keep her hostage in a world that was much more against her economically, socially, and physically than ours is today. Why, "Because God did not give us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind." Many of us carry do to situations we have expierenced personally or have heard or seen. So is it safe to say that fear is an internal response to an outside stimulus that we feel that we have no control over that threatens our ability to exist comfortably on this level.

In my opinion yes, so my weapon provides me a level of comfort, a kind of equalizer, just as the disciples carried swords. Thus, we will always have bad guys that seek to kill and destroyus before our time is up, and in those situations, and in any situation that I may face in this journey of life, I pray that God numb my fears, and allow me to truly place my trust in him, teaching my hands to war, allowing me to use the tools that he has given me to see through the darkness and chaos of life. (Selah)
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links