What to do after accident?

This is a discussion on What to do after accident? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These stories about auto accidents have me thinking; what is the best course of action if you are traveling with a gun and have an ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nutrodoc
  • 1 Post By Divebum47

Thread: What to do after accident?

What to do after accident?

These stories about auto accidents have me thinking; what is the best course of action if you are traveling with a gun and have an accident?

The most interesting situation is 1) traveling in a no reciprocity state 2) using the Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act to travel through the State by keeping the firearm unloaded and locked away. If you have an accident in an urban or suburban area, I assume you would leave the firearm alone and notify the police when they arrive. If the accident results in the firearm being exposed (the locked container is damaged and the firearm falls out), I assume you must secure it. This may be tricky. If the accident occurs in a rural area and you must leave the vehicle to seek help, what do you do? Leave the weapon in the locked case in the car? Carry the locked case with you?

Any insight, especially cases where this has come up before?

2. Remove Ads

First thing is to make sure the firearms are the least of your concerns after an accident. Worry about your health and everything else. As long as you're legally in possession of the firearms their no different that the rest of your property.

The only concern to even remotely worry about is if you are physically able and the state your in requires notification if carrying and you are then notify. Otherwise, the LEOs and first responders will guide you through what ever procedures will be necessary. You can tell them if you are carrying the firearms in your car or luggage to make sure they get secured but only worry about this if you are physically able to without compromising your health or that of your family.

My wife was recently involved in an accident. She informed the first police officer to arrive that she was armed. He said, "No problem". She informed the paramedics - same response. Same at the hospital. In fact, an x-ray tech said, "That's good. We'll know who to call if there is a problem in the ER". You gotta love Texas.
    JerryMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    First thing is to make sure the firearms are the least of your concerns after an accident. Worry about your health and everything else. As long as you're legally in possession of the firearms their no different that the rest of your property.

The only concern to even remotely worry about is if you are physically able and the state your in requires notification if carrying and you are then notify. Otherwise, the LEOs and first responders will guide you through what ever procedures will be necessary. You can tell them if you are carrying the firearms in your car or luggage to make sure they get secured but only worry about this if you are physically able to without compromising your health or that of your family.
    Unless you are in Illinois, California, New York or New Jersey
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

First thing I would do after an accident ? Change my shorts.

All depends on the severity of the accident. If you are able to function and not hurt, you vehicle is still operable, leave it where it is.... I know i usually think in the grey areas on a lot of things, but I incorporate the dont ask dont tell attitude a lot, depending on the state laws. Yea, I carry through Illinois, but i do it in a smart way, and do not anticipate any reason to be pulled over and if I am for some reason, there is no reason for an officer to even think of searching my vehicle, or myself. It will be a normal speeding ticket at the most, and that is unlikely as I hold close to speed limit.
    If I were in an accident in Illinoins, would have to assess the situation as it comes. But any other state I travel through on a regular basis recognizes my cc liscense. So do not see a problem there.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Links