Got made....... by a 7 year old

This is a discussion on Got made....... by a 7 year old within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A couple of weeks ago, right around the holidays, i was visiting a friend who has two daughters (both of which are my "God" daughters). ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Civil_Response
  • 3 Post By OperatorJ
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Got made....... by a 7 year old

A couple of weeks ago, right around the holidays, i was visiting a friend who has two daughters (both of which are my "God" daughters). They are a rowdy pair and always insist that i wrestle, tickle, rough-house, and generally play around. As i was playing chase in the backyard my shirt drifted up and the 7 year old says, "why do you have a gun in your pants?" I quickly responded "to protect you from bad people". Their father, my best friend of nearly 20 years, knows i carry, has no problem with it, and intends to CCW one of these days.

I hate to plant the notion that there are bad people out there that have the capacity to do them harm in their little heads. im not a fan of spoiling innocence. The world can be a nasty place but i dont want the children fearing the boogie man... On the other hand i dont want to lie or skirt the issue because 1) kids know BS when they see it 2) honesty is an important trait to build and 3) who knows, one day they may be interested in carrying.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, how you handled it, and any lessons you might have learned.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    My kids know I carry, it's normal to them... and they also know why. It's no secret there are bad people out there, I'd rather have my kids be prepared and knowledgeable than live in a fantasy world thinking everyone is their friend.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0311 View Post
    i dont want to lie or skirt the issue because 1) kids know BS when they see it 2) honesty is an important trait to build and 3) who knows, one day they may be interested in carrying.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, how you handled it, and any lessons you might have learned.
    You got that right,

My son, 8 now, knows I carry and asked me several years ago why I carried, Much the same as you, I told him it was to protect him from anyone that might do him harm. I also showed him my CCW permit and explained that "Daddy" went through all the proper classes and training and got a license to carry that gun, so I was not doing anything illegal. But that the fact that I carry a gun was a secret, and we don't want the "bad guys" to know, so it wasn't something to be discussed with his friends or anyone else. He seemed to accept that, the other day he saw my gun and said "I have never told anyone you carry a gun" I thanked him and we kept on playing.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

All 5 of my kids know ages 3 through 22, as they get older they ask questions, more and different from why do you carry? to so you can kill people? and I answer honestly. Best practice IMO.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I think you did fine. My son who is 4 now has known for about a year. Just recently I changed my explanation from "because daddy might need it sometime" (which he left at that, so I did too), to "so daddy can protect mommy, you and little sister if he needs to". The conversations are a little more in-depth than that (I've instructed him that we don't talk about it in public - and man did that bring on the never ending series of "why daddy?"!!) etc. But little man understands that daddy's job is to protect and provide for mommy, him, and little sister (soon to be both little sisters!), and I am unapologetic about that. I have always intended to teach any sons I have the responsibility to provide and protect those whom you call family.

OpJ

To the OP...

I've said the same thing to my grandkids, and protecting them from bad people seems to have answered their questions for the time being.
    JerryMac likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My older chldren have know since I can remember, that I carry a gun, and they were raised up around them. It is pretty much a second nature thing for them. We have had the we do not tell talk, and as far as I know they have carried out my wishes on not telling. Honesty is the best answer, and that is what I always give. Not sure if hte kids have made me weaing my gun, as it is something they are used to, and i carry owb a lot when outside at home. The oldest has moved away, and now has a ccw permit and carries a gun of her own, and we enjoy some quality time at the range. IT is a good feeling, knowing, she is a responsible adult, and willing to protect herself in the word we live in today.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I think that is a great response. Then when the kid gets a little older, offer to take dad and kid to the range and teach him to shoot.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Great response IMO. My oldest is 2.5 right now. Hasn't come up yet, but he has never "made" me. I know that (among many other talks) will come in the future and your explanation fits for a youngster. As they grow older they will have deeper questions and we will have deeper answers.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Unfortunately, 7 yr olds know there are bg's out there. I'm sure it's just like when the little ones fall - if you don't make a big deal about it, neither will they (unless they're really hurt); if you make a big deal about a skinned knee, they will too.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    My kids have just learned recently that I now have my CHL and they asked me why I have the need to carry a gun. My reply to them was now a days are not like when I grew up. We could go out and play all day and never have to worry much about anything. I told them the world has really changed and there ar a lot of BG's out there (which they all ready know) and my goal is to try to keep us all safe. Also to the original OP, I think you handled it just fine with the kids.

my 5 yrs old nephew loves to ruff house. its all fun until he runs head first into my hip lol. he started becoming curious, but since im the uncle and not the parent I decided to leave that talk up to them atleast untill he gets alittle older. since then I always pocket carry a 380 in a desantis holster that way I can ruff house without the worry of him grabbing it or priting/falling out,..etc.

Sponsored Links