traveling with gun?

traveling with gun?

This is a discussion on traveling with gun? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, i occasionally travel from wisconsin through illinois,indiana,then into michigan. has anyone else done this and how did you handle your firearm through these states? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: traveling with gun?

traveling with gun?

Hello,
    i occasionally travel from wisconsin through illinois,indiana,then into michigan. has anyone else done this and how did you handle your firearm through these states? i'm currently checking out the state laws for each. i did complete the utah permit training class good for 30 states,but haven't sent in my application for it yet. the reason being, i heard that there's a bill that's being passed federally to honor a permit holder's right in one state in all other states? comments or advice, thanks.

You live in WI, then you need the permit for that state...without it, MI will not honor your CCW ability.
    Chalk off IL...if driving through, unload, lock in the trunk...pray during your trip.

Look at the two maps on this site...see top...http://www.usacarry.com/
    It will answer a lot of your questions.
    JerryMac likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

as long as you comply with the federal laws while in IL and pass through without stopping for any reason you should have no issues driving through IL

You can look up if your state has reciprocity deals with the states you'll be traveling through.

VIP Member
    Basically Indiana honors all state permits, Michigan will only honor a resident permit from your state, and Illinois wants only victims inside their borders.
    JerryMac and hienykins like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The federal firearm reciprocity act will most likely NOT pass the Senate.

Like others, Illinois does not issue pemits or recognize any other state's permits. Their firearms laws are very restrictive. Unload your firearm, lock it in the trunk and keep the ammunition locked up and away on another area from the firearm. You would be in a world of hurt if you are caught with a loaded firearm in Illinois. I know, my wife is originally from there and we have to do exactly what I said when we go visit her folks.

Apply for and get your Wisconsin permit, they are being honoured by many other states and you would be good to go, except for your neighbour to the South. Don't depend on a "National Reciprocity" act being enacted.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Take the ferry.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Go AROUND Illinois ,,,,, completely,,,, just like NY.
    I love NYC & Chicago,,,,,, but until they both
    change their STUPID carry laws ,,,,, I will NOT
    go and spend my MONEY in either place.
    I still THINK CWP & ALL gun owners period ,,,,
    NEED TO BOYCOTT BOTH ILLINOIS & NY.
    ep1953 and jrclen like this.

Study this well, and heed the above.

Here: NRA-ILA ::

thanks

hello, i do have my wisconsin ccw permit and have checked the reciprocity maps now and believe i'm ok to carry in indiana and michigan ? i see illinois is the nightmare but i will have gun in nano vault in back of suv and ammo in glove box. does this sound good seeing i'm only passing theough that miserable state :-) thanks again for responses Randy

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    At least not until after November of this year. Then, with any luck and smart voters, it's a whole new game.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Nor would it be signed by the president.

There is an election in November. Please encourage all your 2nd amendment friendly neighbors to VOTE.

It is not a up or down vote on the idea

National reciprocity in the Senate is in a process mode. Harry Reid is for the concept, and the approach to passage is to attach it to a bill that must pass. Chuckie Schumer led the fight back in 2009 to stop the Thune Amendment then. He stopped the amendment to an existing bill by getting 42 votes for cloture. If he had come up two votes short, there would have been 60 votes to stop debate, and then a vote on attaching the amendment. Two of the cretins that went Chuckie's way are gone. Arlen Spector got defeated by Bob Casey in Pennsylvania, and Robert (Pave Over West Virginia) Byrd died, and has been replaced by Joe Manchin, who would be expected to vote for cloture.

The proximity of the 2012 election is a factor, and given BOH's unwillingness to expend direct political capital to veto such a bill - the CCW in National Parks for example - to me means we have a good chance.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    National reciprocity in the Senate is in a process mode. Harry Reid is for the concept, and the approach to passage is to attach it to a bill that must pass. Chuckie Schumer led the fight back in 2009 to stop the Thune Amendment then. He stopped the amendment to an existing bill by getting 42 votes for cloture. If he had come up two votes short, there would have been 60 votes to stop debate, and then a vote on attaching the amendment. Two of the cretins that went Chuckie's way are gone. Arlen Spector got defeated by Bob Casey in Pennsylvania, and Robert (Pave Over West Virginia) Byrd died, and has been replaced by Joe Manchin, who would be expected to vote for cloture.

The proximity of the 2012 election is a factor, and given BOH's unwillingness to expend direct political capital to veto such a bill - the CCW in National Parks for example - to me means we have a good chance.
    I could see Harry Reid letting it come to a vote in the Senate just to give some of the Democrats in red/purple states some cover for the elections this fall. Even if it did pass he knows full well OBummer will not sign into law. OBummer can't lose any of his base if he is going to have a chance in November. They will want him tarred and feathered if he would sign this bill. It will not win over anyone sitting on the fence either. This election is not about CCW reciprocity. That is about #452 on the list for most people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links