My concealed carry dilemma

This is a discussion on My concealed carry dilemma within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I rarely go anywhere I can carry a gun. I work on a military base and cannot even have a gun in the car there. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My concealed carry dilemma

My concealed carry dilemma

I rarely go anywhere I can carry a gun.
    I work on a military base and cannot even have a gun in the car there. I go to my kids school sports, cant carry there. I go to sports bars on weekends. My carry piece would be put on my person going in gas stations and restaurants but left in car most of the time.
    What would you suggest I carry? Im thinking a snubby going in and out of my pocket quickly and easily. I shot a friends glock and love it but I dont see it being ideal for my situation.

2. Remove Ads

Any gun is going to be hard to put in and take out of your pocket while seated in a car. "If" you can pocket a snubbie, and that's what you want, go for it. If you're going to carry AIWB or AOWB a Glock is hard to beat. You may also consider slim semi-autos like Kahr CW/CM/PM 9, or Ruger LC9 or LCP. A little LCP fits very easily in a pocket. Still you have the problem with doing it while seated.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    lWelcome to the world of utter stupidity and nanny government knows best.

I dont feel like I would have to do while seated. I think it can be done discreetly getting out of car.

I suggest a slim 380 or 9mm. Kahr/LCP/PF9 etc either in a pocket or in a belly band. My LCP disappears in a pocket holster.

Carjackings and road rage don't always afford the time to get out of a car. You need to consider that you may have to access the gun while seated. There are options like a holster between the seat and console, in the console, or in glove box.

The fact that you go on a military base will make it difficult no matter what you do. It would be nice if they gave you a weapon's check in locker or something but that is another tread all together.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

I have an LCP (among others) just for situations that you are talking about. LCP .380 with Hornady Critical Defense rounds is plenty for me. Very easy in and out of leather jacket pocket in it's Blackhawk pocket holster. Sometimes I lock it in the truck (key lock safe) sometimes in center arm rest depending on location.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

An LCP, Bodyguard 380....two very small easy conceal pocket guns out of many that can make your life easier in that regard.

I feel your pain. If my day involves in anyway picking my kids up from school without first returning home, I cannot even carry with me at all since I cannot have the gun on school property even if locked in trunk. Drives me nuts.

You've already gotten some good suggestions to check out, but don't forget to look at a Bond Derringer while you're making your choice because it's small and a great "pocket stuffer". While you only have two single-action shots, they can be either a pair of 5-pellet / 000-buckshot .410 shotgun shells or a couple of 240 grain .45 long Colt rounds - both of which are extremely effective at close range from it's 3.5" barrels.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mspan90 View Post
    I work on a military base and cannot even have a gun in the car there. I go to my kids school sports, cant carry there. I go to sports bars on weekends. My carry piece would be put on my person going in gas stations and restaurants but left in car most of the time.
    What would you suggest I carry? Im thinking a snubby going in and out of my pocket quickly and easily. I shot a friends glock and love it but I dont see it being ideal for my situation.
    SIG P238 or LCP. Your situation is definitely not conducive to concealed carry. I'd suggest you read some books on self defense related to awareness and being in situations that avoid confrontations for times you are not at home. That said, you can carry full time at home. So I'd recommend you have a proper home defense weapon which will be a different gun than is suitable for your carry situation.

You can find all sorts of opinions on a good home defense gun. If your wife can't manage the one you choose, have her pick a home defense weapon for herself too.

Based on my experience, if you are new to this I'd recommend 9mm semi-auto with a front rail so it can have a laser/light on it for night time home defense. Choose one (a Glock 19 for example) that works well for IWB home carry, then you can take the light off and it's a great home carry piece. Find a mentor and have him take you and anyothers in your household that will be "authorized users" of the gun through the manual of arms, gun safety, and a suitable rapid access safe for when you aren't carrying it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by mspan90 View Post
    +1 on the snub nose.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I hate to recommend this because I think it's not an optimal way to carry, but your situation lends itself very much to some type of off body carry like a satchel - something with a strap that you can hold onto easily and that fits with your lifestyle. This way you aren't sticking a gun in your pocket all the time, etc. If that's just not an option, I think an LCP in a wallet pocket holster could also work because it just looks like a wallet to most people and you could put that in your pocket while outside your car.

With regard to all the restrictions, and even no restrictions, the most important thing to have is situational awareness. In personal situations here weapons are not allowed there are key ring options that are discreet and not considered weapons. If a shtf situation happens. seek cover and concealement.

I vote LCP and a good pocket holster... have it in the center console while driving, holster and all. Then put the setup in your pocket when you get out to get gas or go somewhere where you can ccw.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfire View Post
    I vote LCP and a good pocket holster... have it in the center console while driving, holster and all. Then put the setup in your pocket when you get out to get gas or go somewhere where you can ccw.
    Yup. That little LCP is a good little pocket pistol... Mine has always worked perfectly and IMO, it's about one of the only ultra small autos that can beat a lightweight revolver for concealment. Stoke it with the right ammo and your pretty well defended IMO. It's not +p rated like a lot of small J frames, but it's a fight stopper if you can make hits where it counts.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links