Weapons carry is not for everyone

This is a discussion on Weapons carry is not for everyone within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While most of us see the need to carry a weapon daily; some have tired it, legally, and decided it's not for them... I can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Weapons carry is not for everyone

Weapons carry is not for everyone

While most of us see the need to carry a weapon daily; some have tired it, legally, and decided it's not for them... I can respect that (though I have to admit, I don't understand it from a logical perspective).

Most of us will concur that some training in the handling of a gun in a FOF setting is a really good idea, and that some qualification at the range (while not constitutionally required) is a good thing as well. We've also all recently seen how important it is to know what the laws are in our own state and those we visit. There is some responsibility that comes with the exercise of our rights...

Here's an OP ED piece from one who decided not to carry in the Des Moines Register...

>>>This guy's not packin' heat anymore<<<
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    While most of us see the need to carry a weapon daily; some have tired it, legally, and decided it's not for them... I can respect that (though I have to admit, I don't understand it from a logical perspective).Most of us will concur that some training in the handling of a gun in a FOF setting is a really good idea, and that some qualification at the range (while not constitutionally required) is a good thing as well. We've also all recently seen how important it is to know what the laws are in our own state and those we visit. There is some responsibility that comes with the exercise of our rights...

Here's an OP ED piece from one who decided not to carry in the Des Moines Register...

>>>This guy's not packin' heat anymore<<<
    For me, the "logical perspective" is the most easy to explain. It's called statistics. What I find illogical are those who carry a gun everywhere, but are obese and smoke cigarettes, and refuse to exercise. If the goal of carrying is to preserve one's life, why would you only use a gun for that purpose, and not invest in other quality (and length) of life issues much more likely to occur?

I carry simply because I can. I have never even come close to needing a firearm in well over half a century, and I don't see that changing despite what others "feel" about the need to carry. The "need" to carry for me and my lifestyle is virtually non-existent. Yes, I know anyone can cite an anecdote or two, but statistically (for me), carrying a gun for me poses more risks than not. E.g., an ND, child gaining access to my gun(s), cost versus value, etc.

I respect others' reasons for not carrying. It's all about your personal risk management. However, saying it's not logical to NOT carry is - well - not logical.

Yeah, I know, I'm the guy with the unpopular opinions.....so what? This is a DISCUSSION board, not an echo chamber.

So he does not want to carry, but is fine if I do, I'm fine with that. It's forcing their opinion on me that I'm not fine with. And he is not doing that.
    MadMac, sgb, DocPMD and 2 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I'm a bit where Mad Mac is. I didn't start out to carry. I got the license just to be absolutely sure I wouldn't make a mistake when going between home and range by some route not deemed to be the most direct one. Having obtained the license I began to give more thought to carry. Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't. I did quickly learn that there really are lots and lots of skill sets one needs to acquire in addition to the basic ability to carry to defend, and to stay out of trouble.

I have come to actually consider the gun about the bottom of the barrel of all possible SD options EXCEPT when nothing else will do. That means I carry, as Mad Mac, because I can, and not because I see gremlins everywhere. The few places and times where I suspect gremlins might be a concern I use the better part of wisdom and don't go there.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 13th, 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: added "a mistake"
    MadMac, 9MMare, Eaglebeak and 7 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    So he does not want to carry, but is fine if I do, I'm fine with that. It's forcing their opinion on me that I'm not fine with. And he is not doing that.
    This is the difference between the pro and anti groups. I have not heard of anyone on the carry side pushing mandatory carry laws. I have a lot of respect for people who take into account all possibilities and make educated decisions regarding whether or not they should carry.

Michael
    wmhawth likes this.

Oh, I understand the logic behind the need (or lack thereof) to carry all the time.
    But,

• I've had a housefire resulting in a total loss. (odds of a reportable (not necessarily a total loss) housefire about the same as being killed in a firearms assault)
    • I've had a motorcycle accident that took two years of recovery.
    • I've been mugged (as a teenager in Chitown)
    • I've had my home burglarized
    • I've had someone enter my home uninvited.
    • I've had a close friend beaten stabbed and left for dead

And, I read the papers.

The odds of me having to use my weapon are very low... I engage in avoidance to a great degree, but will live my life as I please; without "fretting" over the safety of an activity or of a venue, should I decide to give something "a go."

Surely, I carry because I can. But I also carry because bad things happen in good parts of town, in broad daylight, to good people, who just happened to be in a certain place (good/bad/indifferent) at a bad time.

Some choose not to... I'm fine with that, as long as they don't force me not to because they choose not to.
    bandrich, ep1953, 21bubba and 2 others like this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    :SNIP: What I find illogical are those who carry a gun everywhere, but are obese and smoke cigarettes, and refuse to exercise. If the goal of carrying is to preserve one's life, why would you only use a gun for that purpose, and not invest in other quality (and length) of life issues much more likely to occur?
    :SNIP:
    Ever taken risks simply because you feel they offer a particular quality to your life? Enjoyment maybe. If a person gets enjoyment from over eating and not exercising so be it. That fact has nothing to do with a desire to die.
    I ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I also carry a 1911 on my hip when doing so. I accept the risk of riding because I enjoy the ride.
    I do not enjoy the idea of being robbed or killed by some thug so I carry a weapon to help alleviate that risk.
    I see no conflict in my behavior. It makes perfect sense to me.

Michael
    jem102 likes this.

Something has to be said about living life the way you want to..Everyone has there own take on what they will do, and how they will do it..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Some choose to carry. Others don't.

Some see gremlins that aren't there. Others are surrounded by gremlins that are.

One shoe doesn't fit every foot. It's why I'm not fond of the term 'sheep' for those who choose not to carry. It's necessarily an indicator of ignorance.

Me? I'll always carry where I can.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    when filling out the reg cards, i ask individually why they want a permit--what thoughts bring you to taking the class?

most common answers are to learn about guns cause someone in their family has them.
    that they use to shoot and would like to get back into it
    some say they want them (the guns) now before 'they' (the govt) may take them away
    most say for self-defense; and many qualify that saying--after i get more training, i will carry.

most follow up the Basic class with personal instruction while waiting on their permit. this includes finding the platform
    they are comfortable with and fitting holsters. than there is discussion re SA and live fire exercises. also dry fire
    and recommending a martial arts class. more here than i care to type but a point to make is--

some decide that, having found out what goes into becoming a person capable to carry effectively;
    being able to pro actively interact with their environment, is more than they thought it would be.

it is akin to have NASCAR driving training and skills when all you ever intend to do is passenger car driving.
    but the once in a lifetime event/accident that you avoided cause of that training makes it worth it.

you carry the gun always hoping, indeed--paying attention always, so that you may never have to use it.
    GunGeezer likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    For me, the "logical perspective" is the most easy to explain. It's called statistics. What I find illogical are those who carry a gun everywhere, but are obese and smoke cigarettes, and refuse to exercise. If the goal of carrying is to preserve one's life, why would you only use a gun for that purpose, and not invest in other quality (and length) of life issues much more likely to occur?

I carry simply because I can. I have never even come close to needing a firearm in well over half a century, and I don't see that changing despite what others "feel" about the need to carry. The "need" to carry for me and my lifestyle is virtually non-existent. Yes, I know anyone can cite an anecdote or two, but statistically (for me), carrying a gun for me poses more risks than not. E.g., an ND, child gaining access to my gun(s), cost versus value, etc.

I respect others' reasons for not carrying. It's all about your personal risk management. However, saying it's not logical to NOT carry is - well - not logical.

Yeah, I know, I'm the guy with the unpopular opinions.....so what? This is a DISCUSSION board, not an echo chamber.
    After the infamous ccwchris thread and this post, your opinions should be respected. I'd have a beer with you.

Cheers.
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is a free country,carry or don't carry. His real problem is his wife told him no. Must be a hard way to exist.
    bandrich likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I think the whole point of CC, motorcycles, food, bungee jumping, or locking yourself in a hardened bunker with tin foil on your head is the same. In this country we are able to choose how we live our lives, enjoy our liberty, and determine what pursuit brings happiness. People can do whatever they want (within the law) as long as they don't tell me I am wrong and must follow their way of living. I could not sit for hours and hours and make scrap books and discuss scrap books and look at other peoples scrap books, but there are those that feel it is not a giant waste of time great knock yourself out. I got a life to live and I will enjoy it and I hope you all do too.
    JCabranes likes this.

I pretty much 'like' every post in this thread so far.

And agree.
    RoadKill likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I agree mlr1m. Probably many, many more anti carry types pushing for no carry laws than pro carry people pushing for carry laws. Don't forget the anti carry folks are usually the guns are evil types. Like Shane said-a gun is a tool, no better or worse than the man using it. In 40 years of having guns (not counting in the military), one of mine has never gone off unless I wanted it to. And I'm not a criminal(hopefully) & I don't make wild displays of my ccw. I also fear guns(lethal instruments) but I also respect them and treat them carefully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links