Accidentally exposed my firearm

This is a discussion on Accidentally exposed my firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just normally carry my wallet opposite side of me weapon, but it just seems silly to me to have a law, that allows concealed ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Accidentally exposed my firearm

I just normally carry my wallet opposite side of me weapon, but it just seems silly to me to have a law, that allows concealed carry and condems open carry, not sure i get that one, course ya did say Texas....lol.....us hillbillys are a little difffferNt !! but would think the cc liscense if nothing else should allow open carry, but as you stated if it was not an intentional display , you should be good....glad there was no hassle there....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    Texas NEEDS to do what Governor Scott did in Fl. And, that was to support & sign a bill into law that states, “Law abiding citizens should not be subject to criminal arrest, prosecution or harassment because a firearm, that is being lawfully carried concealed, accidentally becomes briefly exposed.”
    That legislation is already in place in Texas, the OP was fine!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I knew it would happen eventually, since I've been carrying every day for a very long time. I've had a few incidents where the wind has blown my jacket for a few seconds and exposed my firearm, but nobody has ever seen it before until this incident.

So I was in Albertson's around 10:00pm picking up a few grocery items. While checking out, I reached around to grab my wallet and somehow or another the motion of my arm caused my heavy coat to not only expose my firearm, but to actually get stuck behind it. I noticed it after about 3 seconds and immediately corrected the situation. I tried to act nonchalant but inside I was quite concerned being that Texas is not an open carry state and I'm pretty darned sure the young lady behind the register got a very clear look at my Glock 19.

She never said a word. Not that I would have expected her to, since I wasn't causing a scene or anything. But I was very concerned that she'd call security or the police as soon as I walked off saying "that man had a gun!" Fortunately I was paying with cash and went straight to my car and drove off. So if the police were called, they wouldn't have gotten there until long after I was gone.

Not that anything would have probably happened other than some harassment by police. I'm licensed, Albertson's allows concealed carry, and it was an unintentional exposure - which I'm supposed to be protected from. But I certainly didn't want to put that to the test.
    This is a very good example of why laws that allow Open Carry are a good thing. With them, there is no need to worry about the accidental exposure of a gun carried concealed.

I know there is a good storng OC movement in Texas. I hope they get it passed soon for all yall's sake.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Get some tape like the ladies use to prevent "wardrobe malfunctions"
    I understand Janet Jackson has some she's willing to part with.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Look at it this way: it was honest. You didn't flash it. You handled it OK. Better than the rookie who constantly tugs on the hem of his shirt every three seconds and always looks around at everybody like a shoplifter.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    The number of people that CC in Texas is growing very fast. I am glad they have this rule as well.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I really dont see OC coming to Texas.

but another topic.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

I have been carring for 38 years and have never really been concerned if my gun is exposed. Most people don't notice or care. if they meake a bing deal I have a licence.
    Never have had an issue and I am sure it has peaked out a little sometimes.
    kinda like leaving your fly open.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Glad it turned out to be a none event....

I carry my wallet on the opposite side from my firearm so there's no chance for that to happen with me. Just a thought.
    I do the same. It works really well for me because I'm ambi. Wallet on the right, firearm on the left.

I'm right handed, carry my gun on the right side, but have always carried my wallet in my left side rear pocket. Don't know why, and never really thought about it before--just something I've done since I was a kid and first started carrying a wallet! On the few occasions when I carried my wallet in a suit jacket, I still carried it in the left inside pocket. I've never carried anything in my right side pockets that would cause me to expose my gun accidentally. It wouldn't be a big deal in Ohio anyway, since it is an open carry state. But this thread just got me thinking about which side people carry their wallet on. To me, it is natural to carry on the left and pull bills out of the wallet with my right hand. If you carry on the right, do you have to pull bills out left handed?
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

That's also happened to me in a grocery store. Florida just enacted a statute that allows for a brief and unintentional display of a firearm without penalty for concealed weapon license holders.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Didn't know about this. I'll try to look into it, or do you have a url with more details?

- Sent via Tapatalk on Android -

Its nothing big, was in a local grocery store recently and my shirt some how managed to get tucked be hind the pistol grip, completly printing the weapon. The "loss prevention"/ security guard came up and said "hey buddy your shirt is caught up on something your carrying". I fixed it, thanked him. And he explained someone told him about it, they said it wasnt a big deal just thought i should fix it. My only question is, why didnt they just say something....
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    I have been carring for 38 years and have never really been concerned if my gun is exposed. Most people don't notice or care. if they meake a bing deal I have a licence.
    Never have had an issue and I am sure it has peaked out a little sometimes.
    kinda like leaving your fly open.
    All it takes is one over zealous cop to ruin your life.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Not that anything would have probably happened other than some harassment by police.
    Police officers answering a "man with a gun" call, don't know you, don't know about the permit and for all they know, you were casing for a hold-up, especially because you paid in cash. When investigating a potentially serious incident of that sort, you may consider it "harassment," but most folks would rather the police check you out rather than ignore it. If you were to observe something suspicious and call it in, would you rather the police investigate, or simply dismiss it out of hand?

In this case the police would be responding to something you did, albiet unintentionally. Accidental exposure happens to all of us, so use this as a learning experience and move on.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links