States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits???

This is a discussion on States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is that? Because some folks will apply for non-resident permits when they can't get them in their own states. FL only honors "Resident" permits ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits???

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Why is that?
    Because some folks will apply for non-resident permits when they can't get them in their own states. FL only honors "Resident" permits of residents. Would it be any different if you lived in NY and had a ME DL?

Yuo must be a resident of the state in which you hold a permit and that state must honor reciprocy with FL for FL to honor it . . . simple as that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My Pennsylvania permit doesn't distinguish, either, but my Ohio address on it is a dead giveaway.
    All Florida permits have no address on them.
    The only way anyone can tell if you are a non-resident is by checking other form of ID (D/L)
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I beleieve UT rewrote their law for non resident permits. To get one you must

If your state recognizes the UT permit and you have a permit from your home state and if they issue permits UT will issue you one. This solved the complaint from other states that their own residents were getting non resident UT permits and threatened to stop reciprocity.

I believe the NM instructors complained that their residents wre getting UT NR permits and they were loosing revenue. UT saw what was coming and changed their law to require a license from your home state before they issued a NR permit.

I think it's more about money than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Why is that?
    Because some folks will apply for non-resident permits when they can't get them in their own states. FL only honors "Resident" permits of residents. Would it be any different if you lived in NY and had a ME DL?

Yuo must be a resident of the state in which you hold a permit and that state must honor reciprocy with FL for FL to honor it . . . simple as that.

Are you saying FL will not honor there own permit? Why would FL isuue a permit they won't honor?

Some states like Ks have enacted permit laws that state you must have a resident permit to carry in Ks if you are a resident,It's there way of making sure they get the money for permits from their residents,some states won't recognise a Tx permit,or have special language such as you must be 21 to carry in their state due to Tx issuing permits to active duty military at 18
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    All Florida permits have no address on them.
    The only way anyone can tell if you are a non-resident is by checking other form of ID (D/L)
    I hate to break this to you, but my Florida permit was issued in August 2009 and it sure has my address on it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Mine as well. I believe some time in late 2009 they stopped putting addresses on permits.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Mine as well. I believe some time in late 2009 they stopped putting addresses on permits.
    Correct,I checked mine before I posted to be sure.
    It may have been when they went to 7 years.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I have a New Hampshire non resident permit They do not recognize their own non res. I have one because Georgia and Alabama does not recognize West Virginia, but they will honour the NH non res.

It is crazy who has recognition and who does not.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    What I hate is the states that give me no way of obtaining a permit. For example, SC, OR, CA, and the non-issues.
    Uuhhmm, I'm a CA resident (in a county which does not issue) and have OR and AZ non-resident. Why can't you get OR non-resident?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldEagle View Post
    Uuhhmm, I'm a CA resident (in a county which does not issue) and have OR and AZ non-resident. Why can't you get OR non-resident?
    Oregon only issues non-resident licenses to residents of states they share borders with. Even then, it is not mandatory they issue, so you need to go to one of the Sheriffs that will do so (most will, but many won't). More and more are doing so.

By the way, Oregon does not honor any license/permit from another state.

I was hoping WI would recognize my VA resident permit but they want. However, they will honor the VA non-resident permit. Has to do with the two different ways VA does background checks. The non-resident permit is checked by the Federal NICS and the resident permit is checked by VA. Pro-gun law makers in VA are trying to move to just the NICS for both because it would be quicker for those new gun buyers plus save the State money, but the anti's are protesting this.

Anyway, Im covered in WI with my PA non-resident.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Well, in SC I blame it on too many paranoid, idiotic legislators. At the very least, we should offer SC out of state permits to any one who can meet our current standards, particularly those from states that we don't have reciprocity with. I believe that falls under "equal protection under the law."
    Last edited by phreddy; January 19th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
    jfnixon likes this.

If anyone can properly/legally carry across the entire country, ill bet you are great with tax code? LOL.
    Miracles happen, not in opposition to Nature,
    but in opposition to what we know of Nature.

St. Augustine

Well I am from Michigan and I always figured the reason that Michigan only recognizes resident permits is because they suspect that some people are getting non-resident permits to avoid legal issues with background checks in their home state. There seems to be some feeling that the non-resident permits are kind of like mail order clergy, send in your application with your money, your a minister.

I have also heard that there are certain types of warrents issued that have a limitation on the distance a person can/will be transported. In other words a city might issue a parking violation warrent that only is enforcable for 50 miles, so that they don't incure excessive transportaion/adminstration charges for long distance transport. I don't know for sure if this is true, perhaps a LEO can verify.

If that's the case, are there certain violations that are only valid in your residient state that would prevent someone from getting a resident permit, but that wouldn't stop you from getting a non-resident permit from another state. In other words, are there misdemeaner violations that would show on a federal background/non-resident background check?

Edited to add: I am glad my permit is honored in as many places as it is. I am looking forward to being able to drive armed and concealed in Wisconsin this coming summer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links