States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits???

This is a discussion on States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jpeetz If anyone can properly/legally carry across the entire country, ill bet you are great with tax code? LOL. Was this comment ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits???

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpeetz View Post
    If anyone can properly/legally carry across the entire country, ill bet you are great with tax code? LOL.
    Was this comment directed at me? If so, I don't get your point.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Was this comment directed at me? If so, I don't get your point.
    LOL, No it was not directed at you, I would just like to see constitutional carry is all, As I read through all the treads it just struck me as funny and/or sad all the hoops we have to jump through to carry from state to state. I am from wisconsin and wisconsin is new to CC and when you start to dig into the laws of other states let alone your own in some cases it is mind boggleing and not all that dissimilar to tax code. That is all. Nothing more. I am a law abiding citizen and I have a awfull lot of reasearch do do on this. No worries.
    Miracles happen, not in opposition to Nature,
    but in opposition to what we know of Nature.

St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I am all for constitutional carry also, but for now I have to work with the system in place.

It irritates the bejesus out of me that states base their policies on their own residents getting nonresident permits. Here in WA, nonresidents permits are welcome unless you have a WA ID. If you're a WA resident, then you need a WA permit to carry here.

If Texas doesn't want Texans getting Utah permits to carry in Texas, just make it illegal for Texans to carry without a Texas permit.

RCW 9.41.073: Concealed pistol license
    RCW 9.41.073
    Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

what states honer florida non resident conceal carry licences?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtrucker View Post
    what states honer florida non resident conceal carry licences?
    The ones marked in blue:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
    bigtrucker likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

See this sucks for people who live in VT as they dont and never have issued LTC . Sure you can carry no permit there but if you travel you have to get a non res permit which means in FL/SC and a few other places you can never carry . Ditto for thouse in non issues states ( NJ/HI etc etc )

This is why I like that AZ and AK still issues permits

what if i have a non resident permit from florida and live in another state?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtrucker View Post
    what if i have a non resident permit from florida and live in another state?

Dependents on the state in most it is simply as that it is a license to carry a firearm in that state purtenty to the rules of carry in said state. Some will honor them some will not .

I think the only advantge to being a residendt and having a permit is the 3 day watingin peoird is wave on handguns in FL . But of course I would think you would have to be a res on Fl for that .

For Michigan it is because Michigan will honor ALL resident permits for any state. It does not pick and choose. If your state gives you a permit, you can carry in MI.

Therefore the thinking is that there is no need to honor non-resident permits. Which is sort of logical at first glance (which is about as logical as law making usually gets, so I give it props for that at least).

Unfortunately that must cause problems for people in constitutional carry states (now 5 of them I believe) that probably can't get a permit from their state, and also for may-issue state residents that have to resort to out-of-state permits to not get rejected.

But all in all, I still think it's one of the better policies (or at least the intention is a pretty good one). They really were trying to create an all inclusive system instead of picking and choosing states to honor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by grbr View Post
    For Michigan it is because Michigan will honor ALL resident permits for any state. It does not pick and choose. If your state gives you a permit, you can carry in MI.

Therefore the thinking is that there is no need to honor non-resident permits. Which is sort of logical at first glance (which is about as logical as law making usually gets, so I give it props for that at least).

Unfortunately that must cause problems for people in constitutional carry states (now 5 of them I believe) that probably can't get a permit from their state, and also for may-issue state residents that have to resort to out-of-state permits to not get rejected.

But all in all, I still think it's one of the better policies (or at least the intention is a pretty good one). They really were trying to create an all inclusive system instead of picking and choosing states to honor or not.

Nope VT is the only Con carry stat that does not and for that matter has never issued permits . AZ/AK I know issues still I am near 100% that Montana and Arkansas still issues.

Heck I be in deep water here if there were no permits as you need one to carry in a bar and you can skip the ncic check if you have one .

But it does suck for people in HI/NJ etc states that will barring a lawsuit winning never get a permit to carry ( unless they I dont know crawled into the police station with a knife in there back and a wad of cash for the police fund in there other hand )

and yeah I think that all states should honor any other states permits non of this well we honor if your a resient or you have type 2 not type 1 permit ( see Idaho) etc it gets to be a pain trying to firguer that out esp if said sates are close ( NV sucks as they have said unless you have had live fire training you can not carry in NV so that bars most non res permits)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links