States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits???

This is a discussion on States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As most of you know some states (I believe there are five) will not honor non-resident permits even though they have receprocity with that particular ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: States NOT honoring "non-resident" permits???

As most of you know some states (I believe there are five) will not honor non-resident permits even though they have receprocity with that particular state.

For example, Florida wont honor a Texas permit if the Texas permit holder is not a resident of the great state of Texas. Why is that? I would think if a person qualifies, and has a Texas permit, then that person should be good to go in Florida if they live in Houston or live in Tulsa, OK. The Texas permit satisfies Florida enough to have a reciprocity agreement .... and yet the permit holder must reside in Texas.

Colorado, Michigan.... and a few others take the same approach as Florida does. Why is this? Is it simply a revenue generator for FL??

Just enjoying the first cup of coffee on a Saturday morning.... Have a good weekend, Gunnies....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Senior Moderator
    That's just the way the law was written in Florida. No idea why.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

FL, ME, MI, NH, and SC. It's not a revenue generatar...completely...since MI and SC don't issue non-resident permits.

I think it's pretty hypocritical of FL to be one of the largest issuers of non-resident permits to not actually honor non-resident permits.
    Nmuskier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    As most of you know some states (I believe there are five) will not honor non-resident permits even though they have receprocity with that particular state.

For example, Florida wont honor a Texas permit if the Texas permit holder is not a resident of the great state of Texas. Why is that? I would think if a person qualifies, and has a Texas permit, then that person should be good to go in Florida if they live in Houston or live in Tulsa, OK. The Texas permit satisfies Florida enough to have a reciprocity agreement .... and yet the permit holder must reside in Texas.

Colorado, Michigan.... and a few others take the same approach as Florida does. Why is this? Is it simply a revenue generator for FL??

Just enjoying the first cup of coffee on a Saturday morning.... Have a good weekend, Gunnies....
    I suppose it could be a revenue source for FL to make people buy FL non-res. permits.
    The other logic is;people should get home state permits first and then non-res permits if the home state permit is not honored in enough places.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Living in Michigan must awesome when it comes to conceal carry permits. Their permit is honored everywhere except for the gun-unfriendly states on the left-coast and the northeast. You have the Michigan permit-you have them all basically.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Living in Michigan must awesome when it comes to conceal carry permits. Their permit is honored everywhere except for the gun-unfriendly states on the left-coast and the northeast. You have the Michigan permit-you have them all basically.
    Yep....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Colorado, Michigan.... and a few others take the same approach as Florida does. Why is this?
    In the case of Colorado, the cause was loss of revenue: because nonrez permits including UT were recognized in CO, many CO residents were getting the $65 UT nonrez permit instead of the $152 CO permit. The Democrats took over the state House, Senate, and Governor's office and managed to pass the limited-recognition bill. It was actually aimed at CO residents but affects everyone else, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Anubis; January 14th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
    StormRhydr and wmhawth like this.

I heard talk of the same thing happening in Texas. Down there you have to pay$75-$100 for a class and then $140 for the permit. There's been a big ruckus because many people were going and getting Utah permits.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    FL, ME, MI, NH, and SC. It's not a revenue generatar...completely...since MI and SC don't issue non-resident permits.

I think it's pretty hypocritical of FL to be one of the largest issuers of non-resident permits to not actually honor non-resident permits.
    Well, does Florida recognize it's OWN non-resident permits , if they don't recognize non-resident permits? All would depend upon how the law is written. If it says it will not honor "any non-resident" permits, even their own would technically not work in Florida.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    does Florida recognize it's OWN non-resident permits , if they don't recognize non-resident permits?
    Florida issues the same permit (through a single application and fee process) to residents and non-residents, so there is no such separate legal entity as a Florida non-resident permit. My FL permit is recognized when I go to Florida, just like the FL permit of a Miami native.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

I have to agree with you.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    I heard talk of the same thing happening in Texas. Down there you have to pay$75-$100 for a class and then $140 for the permit. There's been a big ruckus because many people were going and getting Utah permits.
    Hope this is not true....... I certainly like Utah's approach to concealed carry AND their approach to reciprocity.

If I'm not mistaken I think New Mexico stopped their reciprocity with Utah because people were getting Utah permits instead of NM's. Who knows maybe all states will soon adopt the a stance that FL, CO and others have taken.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Florida issues the same permit (through a single application and fee process) to residents and non-residents, so there is no such separate legal entity as a Florida non-resident permit. My FL permit is recognized when I go to Florida, just like the FL permit of a Miami native.
    My Pennsylvania permit doesn't distinguish, either, but my Ohio address on it is a dead giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    In the case of Colorado, the cause was loss of revenue: because nonrez permits including UT were recognized in CO, many CO residents were getting the $65 UT nonrez permit instead of the $152 CO permit. The Democrats took over the state House, Senate, and Governor's office and managed to pass the limited-recognition bill. It was actually aimed at CO residents but affects everyone else, unfortunately.
    That's not quite how I interpret it in Colorado. I think it's simply that Colorado wants Colorado residents to have a Colorado permit. Makes sense to me. No different than requiring Colorado residents to get a Colorado drivers license. Maybe it is about the money (it usually is), who knows.

I agree that it was probably not intended to have an effect on non-residents of Colorado.

The reason they stated in Colorado was the fact that CO residents that didn't qualify (felon, DV, etc) were getting out of state non-res CCWs (UT, FL). They kept saying the CO residents were going to WY to get a permtt when they didn't qual for a CO CCW. I didn't even think WY issued non-res. I think it was a total joke. When I sent my paper work for FL they required the exact same as CO (training, fingerprints and a NAC). I also have a NV CCW, it is lie FL in that it isn't really a non-res, its just a NV permint issued by LVMPD and my address happens to be in CO. I had to shoot both revolver and semi-auto for the NV. What I hate is the states that give me no way of obtaining a permit. For example, SC, OR, CA, and the non-issues. I would get a MA permit and pay the money if I went to MA on a regular basis. CO should require CO residents to have a CO CCW first and then honor non-res for non-CO folks. This has bound to hurt the tourism in CO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links