No carry zone (WI) I feel duped!

This is a discussion on No carry zone (WI) I feel duped! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my way home from a meeting this morning I stopped to run an errand at the Forrest Mall in Fond Du Lac Wisconsin. As ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: No carry zone (WI) I feel duped!

No carry zone (WI) I feel duped!

On my way home from a meeting this morning I stopped to run an errand at the Forrest Mall in Fond Du Lac Wisconsin. As always I entered threw one of the anchor stores (Kohls) and as always I looked for signs at the entrance prohibiting concealed carry. There were none, so I continued into the store, and then into the mall itself.

I handled my business and after about 30 minutes headed back to my car. I left via one of the "mall" entrances and only then did I see a gun buster type sign attached to a wall about 20 feet from the door.

I was stunned! I have been to this mall many times while carrying and always look for signs when entering a store so I don't accidentally spend money in an unarmed victim zone if I don't have to. I did much of my Christmas shopping in this mall and now it feels like I was lied to! I doubt that any potential legal charges would have stuck because the posting does not even come close to meeting the posting requirements, but I'm still upset that I was mislead.

Am I over reacting? Should I contact mall management and tell them there signs are not sufficient or just let it be? In the future should I be checking ALL entrances into a building before entering instead of just the one I'm using?

What say you all?

2. Remove Ads

Your carrying concealed right? Then no one needs to know. All they can do is ask you to leave if your made. I like the saying a member has on his sig. CANT=Conceal Aways Never Tell.
    9MMare and ArmyCop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yupp View Post

Am I over reacting? Should I contact mall management and tell them there signs are not sufficient or just let it be? In the future should I be checking ALL entrances into a building before entering instead of just the one I'm using?

What say you all?
    I think just a tad....... Maybe the anchor stores don't put signs there because they want your business. Maybe not all of the stores in the mall agree with posting a sign. Just my 2 cents

What say you all?
    Yes, your are over reacting. Secondly, why would you want to push the management to post signs that are bigger and might make it more likely that you could get in trouble for breaking their rule. Signs posted smaller than required by law will never hold up in court if they ever did want to take action against you.

They dont' want to stop you from carrying, they just don't want to be liable if a shooting occurs. They can then say...we had signs prohibiting guns.
    SIGguy229 and MadMac like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    IMO your over reacting. As to contacting mall management about the signs being incorrect, why? As I read WI law all entrances must be posted. That means not only common entrances, but entrances from stores to the mall as well. Keep your mouth shut and carry on with your business.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would calmly email the mall management. Explain the Wisconsin concealed carry law to them. The legislature wrote a provision into the law granting immunity from law suits concerning shootings for those businesses which do not post the no guns allowed signs. That immunity does not extend to businesses which do post the gun buster signs. This is a tool they gave us to convince businesses not to post the signs.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Oakwood Mall in Eau Claire, WI does it the same way. No signs on the interior entrances, just the exterior entrances.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    IMO your over reacting. As to contacting mall management about the signs being incorrect, why? As I read WI law all entrances must be posted. That means not only common entrances, but entrances from stores to the mall as well. Keep your mouth shut and carry on with your business.
    I agree 100%. The WI "posting" law is fairly clear in this situation, it has to be at all entrances, at least 5" X 7" and in a spot that any reasonable person would see it. I would continue to carry, others might do differently, also I would not rock the boat if they are not posted properly, I'd leave it alone.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" - Adolph Hitler, German Chancellor 1933

VIP Member
    On my way home from a meeting this morning I stopped to run an errand at the Forrest Mall in Fond Du Lac Wisconsin. As always I entered threw one of the anchor stores (Kohls) and as always I looked for signs at the entrance prohibiting concealed carry. There were none, so I continued into the store, and then into the mall itself.

I handled my business and after about 30 minutes headed back to my car. I left via one of the "mall" entrances and only then did I see a gun buster type sign attached to a wall about 20 feet from the door.

I was stunned! I have been to this mall many times while carrying and always look for signs when entering a store so I don't accidentally spend money in an unarmed victim zone if I don't have to. I did much of my Christmas shopping in this mall and now it feels like I was lied to! I doubt that any potential legal charges would have stuck because the posting does not even come close to meeting the posting requirements, but I'm still upset that I was mislead.

What say you all?
    Calling and telling them their signs need to be re-located would be over-reacting.
    ep1953, SIGguy229 and MadMac like this.

Or maybe you keep yer yap shut and we can all go about our business?

DO you feel some compelling NEED to edumacate the mall management when they fail to post legal signage, limiting your rights?

Mall management probably put it up there to keep their mall cop ninja's from pestering them to allow them to carry. Also their customers that are anti's get to see the sign not realizing it doesn't carry force of law.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

If they post the signs incorrectly ,say nothing that is your defense if anything goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jwinston View Post
    Your carrying concealed right? Then no one needs to know. All they can do is ask you to leave if your made. I like the saying a member has on his sig. CANT=Conceal Aways Never Tell.
    This opinion scares the hell out of me, we have had ccw a whole 2 months and we should just start ignoring the signs? real bright move, lets all parade past the signs and see how long we keep the privilege Mr Walker has allowed us to enjoy. medical emergencies do happen while in the malls also. why even question sign size and dimentions? see how that argument holds up in court, This is a simple matter of take your business else where.. Flame away... I don't care and only want to keep my permit I waited 40 years to have.
    W9HDG likes this.

As long as you ALWAYS enter and exit the mall by one of the non-posting stores - you never saw no stinkin' sign!
    ep1953 and ofdesp like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by jwinston View Post
    so, your saying i should carry concealed into the resturaunts that serve alcohol in Nc?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links