Headline article on Yahoo this AM...

This is a discussion on Headline article on Yahoo this AM... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They just don't get it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- ROXBURY, Massachusetts (Reuters) - Analicia Perry was kneeling to light a candle at a makeshift shrine to her brother ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headline article on Yahoo this AM...

They just don't get it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROXBURY, Massachusetts (Reuters) - Analicia Perry was kneeling to light a candle at a makeshift shrine to her brother when she was shot in the face and killed -- four years to the day after her brother was gunned down on the same spot.

The slaying of the 20-year-old mother -- on a narrow street behind a police station in Boston's poor Roxbury district last month -- is one of the shocking examples of a rise in the murder rate across the United States that is raising questions about whether police are fighting terrorism at the expense of crime.

In a shift from trends of the past decade, violent crime is on the rise, fueling criticism of Bush administration policies as a wave of murders and shootings hits smaller cities and states with little experience with serious urban violence.

From Kansas City, Missouri, to Indianapolis, Indiana, places that rarely attract notice on annual FBI crime surveys are seeing significant increases in murder. Boston, once a model city in America's battle against gun violence, is poised to eclipse last year's homicide tally, which was the worst in a decade.

Explanations vary -- from softer gun laws to budget cuts, fewer police on the beat, more people in poverty and simple complacency. But many blame a national preoccupation with potential threats from abroad.

"Since September 11, much of the resources that were distributed to crime-fighting efforts in Boston and other major cities were redistributed to fight terrorism," said Jack Levin, director of the Brudnick Center on Violence and Conflict at Northeastern University.

"The feds had supported after-school programs. They had supported placing more police officers in crime hot spots in major cities. These federal efforts were reduced," he said.

VIOLENT CRIMES INCREASE

A 2005 Federal Bureau of Investigation crime report, issued last month, showed violent crime increasing for the first time in four years in 2005, up 2.5 percent from the year before, with medium-size cities and the Midwest leading the way.

While New York, Los Angeles and Miami still are enjoying drops in crime, smaller cities with populations of more than 500,000 are raising the alarm, posting an 8.3 percent rise in violent crime in 2005. Nationwide, the murder rate rose 5 percent -- the biggest rise in a single year since 1991.

After dramatic declines in murder rates in the 1990s, some cities dropped programs that emphasized prevention and controls on the spread of guns, often citing budget cuts.

"The Bush administration has scaled back funding for federal cops program," said Jens Ludwig, a criminal justice expert at Georgetown University. "From 1993 to 2000 we saw an impressive run-up in the number of law enforcement people patrolling against crime. That has really slowed down."

Of the 57 murders in Kansas City this year, 45 involved guns. "When things start getting out of control, people start shooting," said police Capt. Richard Lockhart.

Police in Indianapolis are clocking overtime after a dozen shootings in less than a week at the start of August that began with a cab driver gunned down. The city has had 71 murders this year, up from 51 a year ago.

WASHINGTON'S CRIME EMERGENCY

The police chief in Washington, D.C., declared a crime emergency in July following the murder of a British political activist in the exclusive Georgetown neighborhood and a spate of attacks on tourists on the National Mall.

Several Midwest cities are on pace for a rise in murders this year, including Cincinnati and Columbus in Ohio and Memphis, Tennessee.

"It isn't gang or drug violence, it's just people getting violent," said Mark Williams, an assistant district attorney in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. "A lot of them are minor disagreements and people using guns to settle them."

From the expiration of a federal ban on assault rifles to tougher restrictions on databases that identify gun owners, gun laws have weakened in the past five years, said Daniel Vice, an attorney with the Brady Center to Prevent Handgun Violence.

"The top five states with the highest gun death rates are five states with incredibly weak gun laws," he said, listing Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska, New Mexico and Wyoming.

In Miami, while overall crime is down, the use of semi-automatic weapons is growing.

"These things are dirt cheap," Police Chief John Timoney told Reuters, estimating the street price at $250 each. "We have seen these assault weapons being used time and time again by drug gangs."

(Additional reporting by Jane Sutton in Miami, Andrew Stern in Chicago and Andy Sullivan in Washington)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Highest murder rates. I'm assuming they mean murders per person, right?

So that means those overpopulated states like Wyoming, Alaska, and New Mexico are just awful places. Geez. Talk about bending statistics. We are talking about states that have one or two major cities. ::shakes head in disgust for Brady Bunch::

And what exactly is Miami's Police Chief talking about in reference to assualt weapons? Uzi's? Tec-9s? Pellet guns? Straws with spitballs? Toddlers with rubber bands? You can "assualt" something or someone with anything you want... the last time I looked, anyway.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

JD
    Administrator
    They fail to mention DC has the most strict gunlaws compared to New Mexico and Alaska. I wonder why that is?

Ok so what do we do about it?

I mean if these statistics are out there it is almost a guarentee that public opinion will shift towards more gun control.

These are are seeds of the next AWB.

instead of standing by and watching our hard won gun "rights" get taken away what can we do to protect what we have?

The gun rights groups need to get on top of this.

My feeling is that the lower income folks in this county are taking a beating financially. The middle and upper middle have a little more disposable income and aren't feeling the pain as much as the lower middle.

When the economy or parts of it is not doing well the crime rate goes up. Guns have always been the weapon of choice but other countries have shown us that with a lack of guns other weapons come into play.

The weapon does not cause the violence. Some social aspect does.

Quote Originally Posted by scmed View Post
    In Miami, while overall crime is down, the use of semi-automatic weapons is growing.
    Wait a minute, crime is down right? So what as to what type of weapon less crime is being committed with. With this logic if there was suddenly only one act of violence in the city for an entire year but it was commited with a hedge trimmer should we ban hedge trimmers? Maybe even the hedges that caused this miscreant to purchase a hedge trimmer? I guess I just don't understand ..........
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Saw that this morning and was too disgusted to read the whole thing.

Talk about sensationalist writing, I couldn't believe the opening.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Mark Twain once said

"There are 3 kinds of lies. Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"

Funny they don't mention the root cause of the crime. IMO crack and Meth. Just the result of black market business tactics.

I read the whole thing and I believe the major point was fewer resources for enforcement because of channeling to Homeland Security, global war on "terror", etc. Regular old crime prevention and law enforcement has taken a back seat. Of course, the Brady Bunch points to the sunsetting of the nominal assault weapons ban, but that's just about a definitive case of post hoc ergo propter hoc! Wrong cause for the effect.

Cops on the street, with strong support in resources and manpower, will have a real effect, rather than spending essential resources to promote another set of ill-advised laws and their accompanying bureaucracy. Add to that, support for responsible citizens who take it upon themselves to provide for their own security.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Hey where can i get one of those mean looking assult rifles for $250.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Hey where can i get one of those mean looking assult rifles for $250.
    No prob finding an SKS at the SAXET Gun Show for less than $150.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguns View Post
    Ok so what do we do about it?

I mean if these statistics are out there it is almost a guarentee that public opinion will shift towards more gun control.

These are are seeds of the next AWB.

instead of standing by and watching our hard won gun "rights" get taken away what can we do to protect what we have?

The gun rights groups need to get on top of this.

My feeling is that the lower income folks in this county are taking a beating financially. The middle and upper middle have a little more disposable income and aren't feeling the pain as much as the lower middle.

When the economy or parts of it is not doing well the crime rate goes up. Guns have always been the weapon of choice but other countries have shown us that with a lack of guns other weapons come into play.

The weapon does not cause the violence. Some social aspect does.
    Now I feel bad about making the smart alicky post about buying a $250 gun.

Blackgun is right, someone needs to do something about this always slanted anti gun reporting, but who is going to do it?

The sheep see this kind of reporting and you can not really blame them for being afraid, and supporting more gun laws. It is not like the truth is not available for people that want to go and find it there are dozens of pro gun blogs and magazines but you have to go and find the pro gun stuff, the anti hits you in the face with movies, TV and Radio news casts, USA Today articles and a barrage of other media outlets all over the country.

So what can we do about it?

Lets have some Ideas:

We can tell NRA and all their affiliates we want to see them do more grassroots education.

We can write letters to the editors.

We can write e-mails to Rush and O'Riely.

We can forward e-mails to everyone in our address books.

I don't think bumper stickers help they just make us look like "GUN NUTS" but the truth is on our side we just can not get it out.

You older people may remember that Beta was a much better format for recording TV than VHS but VHS marketed better. The Apple was better than a PC but IBM and Microsoft marketed better. Novell is better than Microsoft but Microsoft marketed better.

We have to market better than the Brady bunch and we are doing a really bad job of it.
    Last edited by Timmy Jimmy; August 21st, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Great idea, Timmy Jimmy!

Anyone here driven through Illinois on I-74? Lots of slogans up - I love 'em.

Stuff like "Shooting sports are safe and fun, there's no need to fear a gun."

And "Terrorists love gun control, unarmed victims is their goal."

Just signs put up in farmland along the interstate.

Perhaps donations through NRA/Guns and Ammo/whatever can be help to emulate this along Americas roadways from sea to shining sea?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by PapaScout; August 21st, 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of victims
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Remeber where this BS is coming from. Roxbury, MA, AKA Boston, MA and the somewhathonorable Mayor Menino. He's been in bed with the other evenlessomewhathonorable Mayor Bloomberg and his kronies from NYC. I don't have to tell you guys what their agenda is. As far as these guys are concerned, the biggest component of violent crimes in their respective cities comes from surrounding states' lax gun laws!! They blame the laws of their local states for the violent crime being comitted at home. Poppycock I say!

The last time I looked at the "statistics", , the violent crime rates when comparing Boston (with it's horrible reputation for not allowing law-abiding citizens to defend themselves with deadly force) to other cities in surrounding states, such as in NH, VT, and ME (with much more citizen friendly laws allowing the use of deadly force and easier access to CCW), it's very easy to see why crime is happening more often in Boston. Granted, the population figures are different, but when taken in context with the "statistics", it's no stretch to see why crime is taking place where it is.

That's a generalization of my reasons and understanding, but I feel it's certainly a valid one and a damn good reason why I choose to stay away from MA if at all possible and I'll damn sure never move back there.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

They got it exactly right: "...budget cuts, fewer police on the beat, more people in poverty and simple complacency. But many blame a national preoccupation with potential threats from abroad."

The rest is garbage, but thats a prity good explanation. Esp for Boston. They have been cuting the comunity policing projects and officers on the street.

As a side note: from talking to some ER docs in Boston there _are_ allot of hot heads w/ guns in that town (illegal of course) who like to use 'em to settle thier arguments.

AE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links