sig sauer mosquito

This is a discussion on sig sauer mosquito within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by medmunds21 I am looking for a range gun & possible carry at times based on weather. I considered the Mosquito just because ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: sig sauer mosquito

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    I am looking for a range gun & possible carry at times based on weather. I considered the Mosquito just because ammo is cheep & when I go to the range, it won't break my pocket. the M&P 9c looks nice for carry & range because I carry a XDm compact 3.5 9m.
    These are just my thoughts, so take it for what it''s worth. If you only want something for fun and economy at the range, by all means go with a .22lr of your choosing. It's a fun caliber and ther're lots of fun guns to shoot it from. If there's a remote chance that it'll be an SD carry gun from time to time, go with a DA .22 revolver, if it hiccoughs, just pull the trigger and you're on to a new chamber and a new round. I believe some .22lr revolvers can be had with 8-10 rounds capacity now days. If it will see fairly regular SD carry, go with a dependable 9mm, I hear the ammo is reasonable these days (don't own one myself, so don't know what is meant by "reasonable" in that caliber). And I believe the 9mm to be a bit more likely to be a quicker man stopper than a .22, though dead is "dead" regardless of the caliber that accomplished it. YMMV.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I own one and love it for plinking and cheaper practice with the same controls as my P220. The only difference (other than the obvious size difference, the mosquito is 90% of the 220/226) is the manual safety. I just always leave it off. With CCI minimags or stingers the gun runs great, it doesn't like the bulk pack junk though.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

A guy in Minnesota had his slide literally break in half. I'd go with any of the Rugers or a Buckmark if you're looking for a .22.

MNGunTalk.com • View topic - The Slide on my Sig Mosquito failed catastrophically today..

The Mosquitos don't hold up well in the long term. We stopped using them at the range as rentals. To be fair, the Walther P22s don't hold up well long-term either, but the customer service from S&W is far superior to what passes for service from Sig.

Our rentals get more use in a month than most private owners will ever shoot in a year. S&W warranties the guns for everything, Sig won't. The only guns that ever held up as rentals were Ruger MK I and IIs, and the 422/622/2206 series from S&W.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Appreciate the detail info. I guess I'll pass on the Mosquitos. I don't have many to burn. lol
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Three or four years ago, my wife and I blindly accepted the oft proffered logic that you needed to start with a .22 for practice if you were going to carry. We each bought a Rugger III. They are both jam-o-matics (even with CCI mini-mags).

They have sat in the safe since their first two hundred rounds, with a nice coating of dust on them.

I am a self professed Sig Snob, but I own a Walther P22. The Mosquito is just too picky on ammo. The Walther just seemed to be made a little bit better for the same price range. IF you do go with a Walther P22, I suggest the longer barrel.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I had a Sig Mosquito, for many of the above reasons: it felt great in my hand, shot .22 like a real semi-auto, and is obviously a very well made, high-quality gun.

I did get frustrated with it though. Even when it was exceptionally clean and shooting only good quality ammo like CCI, I'd run into ejection and feed issues. This was random, but I honestly don't recall ever getting completely through a magazine full of lead without having either a FTE or FTF.

It was a nice little gun, but it eventually just wasn't for me.

I now have a little Ruger MK III 22/45 and I love it. It's got the same feel as a 1911, though it doesn't cycle -- the bolt system is obviously a different 'style' - like any other semi-automatic, but it's never failed one time no matter what ammo I've put in it. I bought the cheap one, the alloy blued frame with the integrated polymer grips that are actually part of the frame molding. I really enjoy it. It's just for plinking and target practice and for throwing cheap lead downrange and I love it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Go with the Walther P22, a team member bought one for training,he carries a Sig 226,the Misquito stayed at Sig more than he had it,they eventually gave him another,same prob's,FTF,FTF(failure to fire,failure to feed) no matter the ammo,he traded for the Walther,it's been a good day ever since!

The first skeeters were horrible. FTF FTE jamming etc. They got a little better over time, but they're very fussy over the ammo.
    As a result from it, and for those who want a Sig gun, as I work a a large gun shop in the Maine/ NH area, I usually suggest the Sig 1911 22lr pistol. about 379.00 but they work a LOT BETTER. The down side is, the spare mags are hard to locate due to the popularity of the gun. The ATI 1911 22 is a great choice as well. Just a few words of advice and good luck with your purchase.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links