sig sauer mosquito

sig sauer mosquito

This is a discussion on sig sauer mosquito within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was at the gun range, I was looking at a few pistols in great consideration in purchasing. I eventually walked out with what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: sig sauer mosquito

sig sauer mosquito

When I was at the gun range, I was looking at a few pistols in great consideration in purchasing. I eventually walked out with what I came in with due to NOT KNOWING what to get due to limited funds at the time. It seems I'm purchasing a weapon every 6 weeks. Well anyway, I considered the sig sauer mosquito. I was unsure, but I do know it would be cheap to practice with because .22 cal ammo is dirt cheap.

Please advise. What do you think of the sig sauer mosquito?
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

VIP Member
    don't own one, haven't shot one....but I like the feel of it....want one myself
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have one and it's a lot of fun. No problems at all. I've heard some say it can be touchy about what .22 lr you shoot. I use CCI MiniMags and CCI AR Tactical Rimfire and have had zero issues. I do like Rugers and had I not bought the Sig already I would have been looking at the new SR22.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I've shot one...fit my hand nicely, fun to shoot.

However I'm wondering why you are interested in buying another gun? For what purspose? If you know the purpose, you can research (and ask here like you are) appropriate guns. Then maybe even find a range that rents those guns.

For me, a Mosquito would be fun to own for plinking but I would not carry it for self defense, for example.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    My father and brother in law both have one and both of them jammed up frequently when we shot them.

Here's why and what we did. They have had FTEs and FTFs often. The bro in law's was due to the mag. I hear they are expensive too. My father's was due to weak ammo and insufficient lube.

We tried the 40 grain high velocity rounds and it smoothed out some of the issues. Adding additional lube to what he thought was wet enough solved my father's issues. The other was strictly a mag issue and it will not function with the factory mag.

I'm only telling you this so you can be aware of what you may encounter with the Mosquito. Of course, these can be issues with all semi autos (except the heavy high pressure ammo). I personally will not buy one. My Bersa 22 duo tone has outshot both of them and was quite a bit cheaper as well.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Had a devil of a time with the first 500 rounds, don't try to shoot unjacketed ammo through it. Started working fine after I changed to jacketed ammunition. Very ergonomic, feels great in the hand. It's one of those pistols that I really didn't have a reason to buy it, consequently I feel no real attachment to it either...probably end up selling it one of these days and using the money on a new wheelgun of some sort...that's where my true love is.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

You won't be shooting any bulk federal winchester or remington ammo in it without it jamming,my daughters would jam about 2 to 3 rounds out of 10.If your shooting CCI minimags etc they usually run good,but premium 22 ammo I wouldn't call cheap,since I can reload most Centerfire pistol ammo for almost 1/2 what one round of premium 22 ammo costs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a Beretta Neos for the same reason - it is ugly, but I love it- it's a little lower price point and have had about 3 failure to feeds out of over 1k rounds of the cheapest stuff I can find.

I appreciate the advise. When I was at the gun shop, I didn't know what came over me. I love guns & I realized it would not be a great investment due to me loving my XDm compact 9mm for carry. The Sig Mosquito felt good in the hand, but due to the FTE's it's best for me to look at another 9mm like the M&P 9c.

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    I appreciate the advise. When I was at the gun shop, I didn't know what came over me. I love guns & I realized it would not be a great investment due to me loving my XDm compact 9mm for carry. The Sig Mosquito felt good in the hand, but due to the FTE's it's best for me to look at another 9mm like the M&P 9c.
    I may have misunderstood your original post, I thought you were looking for a range gun. I would in no way, shape, or form recommend the Mosquito for self defense carry at any time. And not because of the caliber, but because it's undependable. Mine shoots fine now, most of the time, but it's nowhere near self-defense dependable.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

sig

Could use any help in getting mine to run. Seems to "double stack" rounds. IE , The empty brass is not quite clear before the new round pins the old one against the upper left side of the slide frame. This is with the CCI ammo. Any thoughts???

My wife has one. Like the others have said, you cant shoot the cheap bulk ammo. Hers will only shoot CCI Minimags,anything else and it will FTF. Other than that its been a great little .22. Just picky about what ammo it likes. The only place I have seen where you can buy extra mags is from the factory for around $30.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbliler View Post
    Could use any help in getting mine to run. Seems to "double stack" rounds. IE , The empty brass is not quite clear before the new round pins the old one against the upper left side of the slide frame. This is with the CCI ammo. Any thoughts???
    Pics would be great if you can take some. It could possibly be an extractor issue. Hard to say without seeing it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I may have misunderstood your original post, I thought you were looking for a range gun. I would in no way, shape, or form recommend the Mosquito for self defense carry at any time. And not because of the caliber, but because it's undependable. Mine shoots fine now, most of the time, but it's nowhere near self-defense dependable.
    I am looking for a range gun & possible carry at times based on weather. I considered the Mosquito just because ammo is cheep & when I go to the range, it won't break my pocket. the M&P 9c looks nice for carry & range because I carry a XDm compact 3.5 9m.

Quote Originally Posted by jbliler View Post
    Did yours come with a change of springs? I think the ones in the box (not factory installed) are weaker if I remember. That may help your problem, may just need more breaking in also...mine just seemed to "start working" somewhere in the 500-800 round range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links