Defensive Carry banner

82 Yr Florida Resident Old Shoots Through Door And Isn't Charged

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Honk 
#1 ·
The 82-year-old homeowner woke up at 6 a.m. after hearing someone at his backdoor, the report said. He armed himself with a .45 automatic and fired a single shot through the door, the report said. The suspected burglar was hit in the abdomen and likely died minutes later.

Read more: Florida Senior Citizen Shoots, Kills Suspected Burglar | Fox News

#2 ·
I want a .45 automatic.

Maybe even with one of those illegal silencers, and assault clips. :ticking:
----------------
Way to go grampa! I do like what the chief of police said about the justice system. Wish all of them could be so honest about it.

#5 ·
Know the laws in your state,shooting through an exterior door without identifying a threat could get you in deep kimshi,In Tx I'm pretty sure it woulda been a good shoot,especially since the guy had a ski mask and burglar tools with evidence of prying on the door.
The Police Chief was right on with his comment about the homeowner doing what the criminal justice system couldn't do,putting the burglar out of commission

Reactions: ironmike86
#6 ·
How do you fire a single shot from an automatic?

#7 ·
In FL, if someone is attempting to illegally enter your house, the occupants are "presumed" to be in fear of life per state statute. Some BGs learn this the hard way.

#9 ·
He made out a lot better than that poor kid in Chesapeake VA who woke up to his door being crashed and did the exact same thing, but killed an LEO during a no-knock warrant service. He got 10 years for manslaughter. That it was a drug warrant and MJ plants were recovered didn't help his case much but I believe he thought it was a break-in. The police informant had broken into his garage two days before to get the evidence for the LEOs.

#11 ·
Glad the gent is OK that is for sure. But I am not sure I would be shooting through the door....Not sure, not sure at all. :confused: :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Glad things worked out for the old guy--this time. But it definately violates the rule "BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET"! I wouldn't EVER take a shot thru a door unless I had visual confirmation of what was on the other side. :yup:

#15 ·
Bandrich and JDE are not sure they could fire thru the door. RevolvingMag says it all. You are trying to kick MY door in at MY house--if that is not a presumption of an imminent threat what in the world are you waiting for? At least in SC, I have the Code of Law on my side. I do find it a bit suspect if the quick entry by police, as depicted on cop shows, is for real. I understand that you want to catch the BGs with the drugs etal, but the timing is such that, as far as I am concerned, the police have the ultimate responsibility to ID the correct house and, if wrong , they should be held responsible for their actions.

#17 ·
Bandrich and JDE are not sure they could fire thru the door. RevolvingMag says it all. You are trying to kick MY door in at MY house--if that is not a presumption of an imminent threat what in the world are you waiting for? At least in SC, I have the Code of Law on my side. I do find it a bit suspect if the quick entry by police, as depicted on cop shows, is for real. I understand that you want to catch the BGs with the drugs etal, but the timing is such that, as far as I am concerned, the police have the ultimate responsibility to ID the correct house and, if wrong , they should be held responsible for their actions.
I'm sure that would go a long way with the county prosecutor after you shot thru the door and killed a cop who was at the wrong house. That's if you survived and weren't shot by the other cops who were there with the first one you shot! Or if you killed a drunk who happend to be at the wrong house. I still say, you should be sure of your target before you pull the trigger! I learned that, along with the other safety rules, back when I was 12 years old. It was a good rule then, and I think it still is 58 years later!:yup:

#18 ·
Saw this on the news the day it happened. Glad the old feller is ok. Old guy 1 = BG 0 :Winner2:. Anyone know if he is a veteran? Just curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.