Defensive Carry banner

How do you carry at a dance?

4K views 38 replies 35 participants last post by  Paymeister 
#1 ·
I was invited to a dance last night. I haven't danced since college many many moons ago so I though it would be fun.

As I was dressing for the occasion, it occurred to me that carrying was going to be an issue. I was going to be dancing with a lot of women I did not know and doing moves where they undoubtedly would have their hands near or on my waist and back. I normally carry IWB at about 5 o'clock. Ankle carry was not an option (I am moving my feet too fast), smart carry is not an option (let's not even go there), belly band is not an option. I am now out of options.

I opted to NOT carry that evening and left my firearm in my vehicle. I am planning on going back as it was so much fun. Any suggestions on how to carry in this scenario?

#5 ·
Inside the waist, appendix style (1 o'clock) with a jacket as long as you don't dance groin to groin. You can make it better if you use a tuckable holster. I carry a Kahr PM9 just in front of my right hip and my wife even misses it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good choice for a small single stack 9mm like the Kahr or Ruger LC9, Kimber Solo, Springfield EMP, etc.

Or a small .380 like the Ruger LCP in front pocket carry. Anyone feels that in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, you can say it's your wallet or money clip.

The key to all this is to own a couple guns sized to fit any occasion... 'cause you never know when you might get asked to go dancing!

Reactions: tcox4freedom
#3 · (Edited)
Use an ankle holster with retention...depending on the gun....what are you carrying? It's not the most perfect solution, but it's away from the more obvious areas where hands could find it. I wore my Kahr MK9 in an ankle holster without a problem to a wedding. Wear it with a calf strap.

Reactions: Eaglebeak
#4 ·
IWB at 4-5 oclock when they ask tell them what it is, that you are trained and licensed, you always carry, and it for all of your protection. We can talk about it latter if you would like. Then smile and say can we dance now it is what I came here to do and enjoy. Just my two cents and what I would do.

#7 ·
Well I recently read a thread touting "rectum carry" which, although rather painful would probably work. I mean the thread stated that even a strip search did not find it. Oh, the things you learn at DC! :danceban:

#11 ·
When at events that pose those kinds of problems, pocket carry works very well.
The only problem is possibly not keeping the regular EDC, but rather switching to a smaller caliber...hard to pocket a Glock.

Reactions: JerryMac
#15 ·
I guess it depends on the music style and what you mean with "dressing for the occasion". AIWB carry, pocket carry and ankle carry could work, but it could also be a little difficult to carry a firearm at all if you are going to dance rock & roll or swing.

#17 ·
The Ramora can go anywhere, but remember, nothing is Tango proof.

The calf strap holding up the ankle holster can serve as a tourniquet when the gun fires a round through your foot.

#18 ·
I would use a gun small enough to fit in a good pocket/wallet type holster in a back pants pocket with a button closure on it. If she feels it there, she has other things on her mind or trying to pickpocket you, then you can use it. LOL
I don't dance, so I wear mine wherever I please.

#20 ·
I haven't found a pocket carry method that I like yet...maybe because I keep certain things in certain pockets and can't bear to change my habits. I'd elect to pack my keltec p3at with it's clip, IWB, if I felt carrying was necessary to such an event. It really disappears...even if it is a bit slower to draw than my full size carry.

#21 ·
I'm one of those guys who never learned to dance and don't want to. My wife of 36 years has just learned to live with it. The last time I was forced into a dance was at my son's wedding (2004), where I was obliged to dance with my new daughter-in-law. On that occasion it was black-tie, so at that and other social settings, I carry a 642 J-frame +P in an ankle holster and speed loaders wherever I can hide it / them.

#22 ·
Ankle carry, definitely.

#25 ·
As I sit here wondering when the world past me by.......it has been over 15 years since I was bar hopping, dancing with the ladies and looking for Miss Right. Back then I knew that the pistola was safe AIWB and would not be inadvertantly fondled by a sheila at first meet or first date (did I read something inappropriately here or not?). Anyway....I don't know who can dance with an ankle holster....I got enuff trouble keeping the beat and moving my feet in cowboy boots. Seems like the ladies were touching me on one shoulder and one hand most of the time, though. Good luck youngster on your search for a holster that allows for touching around the waist. By the way, if they are touching you where AIWB (right up front by zipper) or a smartcarry rides then pocket carry will be a "No Go" also.

#28 ·
I most often dance at formal occasions, so I am normally wearing my kilt and Prince Charlie jacket with my military medals.

The sporran makes a great holster, and of course, I always have my sgian-dubh with the family crest on the handle, and it's very sharp.

#29 ·
Carry in the 12 o clock position, and if they get that close and ask what is that, smile n say.....just me being happy to dance with you......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.