Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

This is a discussion on Breaking the rules, Carrying at work. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu Before everybody starts throwing flames my way read the whole thing. I am not judgmental of anyone doing what they need ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Before everybody starts throwing flames my way read the whole thing. I am not judgmental of anyone doing what they need to do to protect themselves. But my son was reading the forum and we started talking about the conversations in a few threads, the one about carrying in a friends house, this one, lose/lose. He is 17 and pro 2 A. And I would say very bright and astute. He asked me what anti's would think of some of the post. What he was getting at, if you are in the general population and don't carry, it looks to them that we are a bunch of people that don't give a crap about other peoples rights (including employers, home owners). A employer has an expectation of honesty from his workers and for them to follow his rules. In return, the employer promises a safe work place and safe working conditions for the employee's. If an employer has made a risk assessment to not have fire arms in his establishment that is his right and has an expectation for the workers to follow it. If they do not like the policy they should seek employment elsewhere. Like somebody told me in another thread: if you don't like the union, find a place that doesn't have a union. Not a great analogy but the best I can do without any coffee. And two sayings he says might not make us look so respectful when it comes to carrying in a posted no-gun area. CANT, and when it comes to defense:I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by six. He says that it may convey that CC'ers will shoot first and take the ramifications if they are wrong.
    These ideas are not how he or I feel. He was wondering if any others feel that anti's will think like that after reading post like that on this forum, and if so, if it hurts our cause. BTW: he goes to college next year (Wake Forest or Rice) and wants to study Law or Political Science
    Your son has some good points, but in this case I wouldn't say that the employer is capable of providing a truly safe work environment. Smart kid you've got there. I'm actually playing the law school admissions game right now. Good luck to him.

2. Remove Ads

I can tell you one thing if you get fired over the gun ( gun anything) you will not be eligible for unemployment because you went against co rules

Quote Originally Posted by jlately View Post
    Your son has some good points, but in this case I wouldn't say that the employer is capable of providing a truly safe work environment. Smart kid you've got there. I'm actually playing the law school admissions game right now. Good luck to him.
    Thanks. We are proud of him. We pick a topic for debate every night (since he was like 8) at the supper table. Keeps my brain from going to mush Anything from music,ethics, politics, whatever. Great lacrosse and hockey player also.

I fully support the "don't ask don't tell" policy with working in a connivance store for low wages. You have to do what you have to do to put food on your table and make the mortgage payment. I don't condone breaking corporate policy as a rule of thumb, but chances are the reason that policy is in place is because of some corporate attorney not remotely considering your physical well being but insurance liabilities should you or someone fire and strike a patron. Suntzu also raised a valid point as well! I guess if faced with the choice of do I or don't I, I'd quietly carry.

The problem WD is that, as you should know, in Wisconsin's Law signage and verbal notification of "No Firearms/Weapons" carries the weight of the law. So if you did work in a c store and the store policy is no Firearms/weapons and you carry anyway you are risking not only unemployment but also your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mograthi View Post
    The problem WD is that, as you should know, in Wisconsin's Law signage and verbal notification of "No Firearms/Weapons" carries the weight of the law. So if you did work in a c store and the store policy is no Firearms/weapons and you carry anyway you are risking not only unemployment but also your permit.
    That is true, but my son was just thinking nation wide overall

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    While it seems this topic is brought up in a new thread at least once per week.. I'll agree with your line of thinking.
    I know but many times, it is in the details, Life is unfortunately full of situational ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I can tell you one thing if you get fired over the gun ( gun anything) you will not be eligible for unemployment because you went against co rules
    For what I am making there a chance I am willing and financialy prepared to take.

Thanks for the feedback so far, yes concealed means concealed means concealed. Got my new smock yesterday and changed it in front of the manager and GM. Supertuck with Velcro does wonders . It is a 66% paycut but I cannot sit on my a**, I have been putting out resumes since I was laid off end of October. A few interviews first and of recent some second, they all seem to be taking their sweet time. Still looking but with school in the picture I am not as flexible as I would normally or would like be.

And I would like to add that at my old job I could not carry, we went through metal detectors and had guards. The likleyhood of a situation there was minimal with plenty of egress so I did not This job however is a different scenario.

I am up for another round of testing for a federal position, I have not quit looking and have not made a wage this low since highschool and that was quite a few years ago.
    Last edited by pfries; January 18th, 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: 66% cut 33% of what I was making ...lol
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by Mograthi View Post
    I'm very much aware of the law in W.I. and I thank you for refreshing me anyway. The OP is in TN not W.I.

I'd also like to point out that if I were in a situation similar to this in W.I., I would advise whom ever my boss was that I do have a carriers permit, and also advise my wife in writing that if I was blown away because of corporate policy and my gun was secured in my car, that she should get a lawyer and sue the convenience store for preventing me the right to defend myself. That would be well within my rights in the State of Wisconsin. But you know, I like being alive much more than the minimum wage.

Keep it to yourself,,,,, if there is never a need ,,,,
    everything will be lovely ,,,,, if there is a need ,,,
    the job want matter ANYWAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    dont ask dont tell...
    or become am Obama "SHOVEL READY PROJECT"

I'm not a lawyer or a counselor of morals so I won't make a suggestion on what you should do. But when I hear this "just give them what they want" I always think about the real possibility of the bad guy not wanting to leave any witnesses to his crime. At that point your butt is on the line while the boss is home in his warm bed.
    pfries likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Concealed means Concealed.....Do what you have to do.
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

I work on a federal installation so I cannot carry, also the state the installation is in doesn't recognize my CCW permit. So instead of facing arrest I don't carry while at work.

I worked full time (now part time) for a large pharmacy chain. I'm a shift supervisor. My current store has had a rash of robberies where 1 person or a small group of people has walked in and went straight back to the pharmacy and told the pharmacist they want "the good stuff." I haven't been present for the robberies (they've all happened right before or right after my shift). Some have hinted to having a weapon. One individual was visiting several different pharmacy chains in the area. He was finally caught at the local Wal-Mart the same day he was at my store. They found a handgun on him and several loaded AR mags. In his car were several loaded long guns with extra mags and multitudes of pill bottles. The last robbery, 2 males went back to the pharmacy and actually drew a handgun and pointed it at the pharmacist, telling him and the pharmacy techs to get on the ground. All complied and the pharmacist was ordered to open the safe containing the high dollar drugs. This is an area of town you would least expect these things to happen. I carried my G26 everyday before all this happened. I most certainly made sure it was on me after. It is against company policy to carry at work. My life is more important than my job. As is the lives of anyone else that I feel is threatened while in the store.
    pfries likes this.

I think you'd be crazy NOT to carry working in a convienence store.
    pfries likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links