Breaking the rules, Carrying at work. - Page 3

Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

This is a discussion on Breaking the rules, Carrying at work. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been though an armed robbery at my current job. I work in a retail auto parts store. Two black males, both with guns, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

I have been though an armed robbery at my current job. I work in a retail auto parts store. Two black males, both with guns, faces covered, and wearing gloves. They ran up from the side of the store bordering an open lot. I had one customer in the store at the time (one other co-worker too). One watched the door while the other came behind the counter. I gave him the cash in my drawer and they left.
    While compliance is always suggested, it still bothers me that I am expected to be submissive to these criminal pieces of $#!+. My customer, my coworker, and myself were simply lucky that these a$$#ol$ didn't choose to kill us all. In that exact moment these a--#*les I don't know and don't trust, are the ones in control and making choices.
    That event motivated me to go ahead and make my first gun purchase. I already had my permit and knew what I wanted but I was saving my money until I could make an outright purchase.
    My company policy also states employees are not allowed to have weapons of any kind and prohibits all weapons in general unless its law enforcement. Where the hell was that policy the night we were robbed? Its didn't jump out of its book and inform those armed robbers that they can't have guns here. They didn't care about the company policy and armed robbers could care less about you and your life. So, you must consider how much you value your life, and what you want to do to protect it.
    Richard58 likes this.

Sounds like a good time to get another job.......

Quote Originally Posted by Armey View Post
    Sounds like a good time to get another job.......
    It was what was available and I am not one to sit on my back side, still looking though i don't really need to work and was planing on semi-retirement and school but the manager is a friend and needed reliable help. I am not one to turn down a friend in need or work, I am almost positive as he knows me he figures I do, but I will never bring it up, I just cannot fathom doing second or third shift and feeling that vulnerable. I wonder how many of the people that do this can be content not being armed?
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

If I were in your position, and it was legal, I would be concealing.

In our city, there is a huge Conoco station on Main St. that is really a big convenience store with multiple gasoline pumps outside. The first time I visited this Conoco to get gas, I went inside to pay and pick up a few items. I was shocked to see the 2 clerks locked inside a bullet proof, plexiglass cube that measured probably 15' X 15'. To pay, I had to place my money inside a metal drawer that closed on my side before opening on the clerk's side and functioned in reverse to give me my change. The store is very large for a convenience store and if you need help finding an item you have to ask the clerks through a speaker system. We are in a lower crime area, but within 20 miles, it is a high crime area. Convenience stores are frequent targets of robbers in our area. This was the first convenience store I have ever been in that I felt the clerks were truly well protected and that the company was more interested in protecting their employees than their merchandise or profit.

I did wonder if the clerks were allowed to conceal carry. I'm sure there are times when they come out of the protective cube to stock, inventory, clean, arrive and leave work, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    I was laid off a while back, and well times are not great for finding good work that pays what I am used to. I cannot stand unenjoyment (unemployment) and picked something up to keep me occupied (convenience store Asst. Manager).
    The area has had a rash/spell of robberies and the trend seems to be getting violent, why I do not know. So the store is not posted (posting carries weight of law) but it is against company policy. So if found out I would lose my job, this job is not worth my life, for that matter none I have ever had have been.

Now the companiesí policy is let them have it and well the cash and merchandise is theirs so I would, but if I was threatened and believed the threat was real, or the perps attempted to assault me I would lose my job and take necessary measures.

Just looking for feedback, thoughts, others that do the same or do not and why.
    Pat
    Why did you take the job? You agreed to follow the policy but then try to justify your dishonestly and your lying? It is shameful to agree to follow those rules and not do so. It makes gun owners look bad when you lie, especially about firearms. It also makes us look bad when we ask for our rights to be respected but we don't respect the rights of others like the property owners and What is the name of the company where you work?

Quote Originally Posted by jlately View Post
    Your son has some good points, but in this case I wouldn't say that the employer is capable of providing a truly safe work environment. Smart kid you've got there. I'm actually playing the law school admissions game right now. Good luck to him.
    Define a safe work place? Can you guarantee that you won't have an ND or AD while working?

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    I fully support the "don't ask don't tell" policy with working in a connivance store for low wages. You have to do what you have to do to put food on your table and make the mortgage payment. I don't condone breaking corporate policy as a rule of thumb, but chances are the reason that policy is in place is because of some corporate attorney not remotely considering your physical well being but insurance liabilities should you or someone fire and strike a patron. Suntzu also raised a valid point as well! I guess if faced with the choice of do I or don't I, I'd quietly carry.
    So in what careers/jobs/corporations is the policy not put there by an attorney? And why does the job make a difference whether it is a sales clerk at a gas station or a banker or a lawyer or a plumber? What does it have to do with lying to your employer or having to put food on their table?

You are doing fine. Our hopes (I'm sure) is that you will never have to find out one way or the other. However, as has been said, NO job is worth your life. Good luck in your continuing education and search for employment.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Why did you take the job? You agreed to follow the policy but then try to justify your dishonestly and your lying? It is shameful to agree to follow those rules and not do so. It makes gun owners look bad when you lie, especially about firearms. It also makes us look bad when we ask for our rights to be respected but we don't respect the rights of others like the property owners and What is the name of the company where you work?
    Thats akin to saying you arent a murderer so you can not kill someone in self defense. Reality and theory are not the same thing...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    It was what was available and I am not one to sit on my back side, still looking though i don't really need to work and was planing on semi-retirement and school but the manager is a friend and needed reliable help. I am not one to turn down a friend in need or work, I am almost positive as he knows me he figures I do, but I will never bring it up, I just cannot fathom doing second or third shift and feeling that vulnerable. I wonder how many of the people that do this can be content not being armed?
    There are a lot of stupid people in the world!
    BigJon

Things are getting worse, most gas station /conveyance stores in south florida only let in one patron at a time after ten pm and they have bullet resistant (polycarbonate) counters.
    Banks are putting shields for tellers. The bank of america branch near me was robbed , almost walked in on that. Best choice may be Kevlar.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Quote Originally Posted by nti06 View Post
    I have been though an armed robbery at my current job. I work in a retail auto parts store. Two black males, both with guns, faces covered, and wearing gloves. They ran up from the side of the store bordering an open lot. I had one customer in the store at the time (one other co-worker too). One watched the door while the other came behind the counter. I gave him the cash in my drawer and they left.
    While compliance is always suggested, it still bothers me that I am expected to be submissive to these criminal pieces of $#!+. My customer, my coworker, and myself were simply lucky that these a$$#ol$ didn't choose to kill us all. In that exact moment these a--#*les I don't know and don't trust, are the ones in control and making choices.
    That event motivated me to go ahead and make my first gun purchase. I already had my permit and knew what I wanted but I was saving my money until I could make an outright purchase.
    My company policy also states employees are not allowed to have weapons of any kind and prohibits all weapons in general unless its law enforcement. Where the hell was that policy the night we were robbed? Its didn't jump out of its book and inform those armed robbers that they can't have guns here. They didn't care about the company policy and armed robbers could care less about you and your life. So, you must consider how much you value your life, and what you want to do to protect it.
    First off, it's armed robbers COULDN'T CARE LESS, if they could, it meant that they cared from the beginning.

Secondly, you must work at auto zone.

I've been there, closing at night, just a red shirt and a grey shirt, been robbed plenty of times, they rob us, the company hires an armed guard for a week,8 days later it happens again, but we aren't allowed to bring guns in.

Once a guy came in, NO MASK ON, held us up. he stood out being the only white customer we'd had in months, but no one thought he would rob us, but here I am with a hi point in my face. I just knew he would kill us since I saw his face and we were on camera.

One good thing came out of working there - I no longer freeze or panic when a gun is pointing at me. My manager crapped his pants...

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Once a guy came in, NO MASK ON, held us up. he stood out being the only white customer we'd had in months, but no one thought he would rob us, but here I am with a hi point in my face. I just knew he would kill us since I saw his face and we were on camera.
    That is a sad telling sign about todays economy and society. The poor guy could only afford a Hi point. I have told my son when you decide to do something, professionalize so you stand out in the crowd! He could have at least has a S&W Sigma! So sad

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    BTW: he goes to college next year (Wake Forest or Rice) and wants to study Law or Political Science
    Political Science = no real job out of college.

Law is not offered as an undergraduate field of study. If he wants to get his JD, he's MUCH better off getting an Bachelor's in some field such as engineering, finance, accounting, or computer science, getting a couple years in his field under his belt, then applying for his JD program.

N.B. My kid is a tax attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Political Science = no real job out of college.

Law is not offered as an undergraduate field of study. If he wants to get his JD, he's MUCH better off getting an Bachelor's in some field such as engineering, finance, accounting, or computer science, getting a couple years in his field under his belt, then applying for his JD program.

N.B. My kid is a tax attorney.
    Next time you want to offer unsolicited advice on a personal nature especially when it is a family member (son) please be kind enough to PM me. I think it is in bad form for a stranger to to equate my sons goals as "no real job out of college". Also, my son knows the path to becoming a lawyer if he chooses. If you noticed it said Law or Political Science. He will decide after he enters college. BTW: He decided on Wake Forest. But thanks again for the unsolicited advice. Finally, since you decided to make mention of my sons aspirations he is interested in possibly working for the government. State dept, CIA, DOD. He speaks fluent German, Russian,and Arabic. He is now working on Japanese and Chinese. If stuck in Mexico he can get by with his Spanish. He is self taught in a lot of areas and soaks up languages. He was brought up having some manners and knowing when to not give unsolicited advice in publlic. Good day sir.

Sorry all for getting off topic. Well, just slightly. The thread is "Breaking the rules.....". Sorry again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links