Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

This is a discussion on Breaking the rules, Carrying at work. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu Next time you want to offer unsolicited advice on a personal nature especially when it is a family member (son) please ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Next time you want to offer unsolicited advice on a personal nature especially when it is a family member (son) please be kind enough to PM me. I think it is in bad form for a stranger to to equate my sons goals as "no real job out of college". Also, my son knows the path to becoming a lawyer if he chooses. If you noticed it said Law or Political Science. He will decide after he enters college. BTW: He decided on Wake Forest. But thanks again for the unsolicited advice. Finally, since you decided to make mention of my sons aspirations he is interested in possibly working for the government. State dept, CIA, DOD. He speaks fluent German, Russian,and Arabic. He is now working on Japanese and Chinese. If stuck in Mexico he can get by with his Spanish. He is self taught in a lot of areas and soaks up languages. He was brought up having some manners and knowing when to not give unsolicited advice in publlic. Good day sir.

Sorry all for getting off topic. Well, just slightly. The thread is "Breaking the rules.....". Sorry again.
    So, you post your family's personal business on a board related to the topic, then get huffy if someone else comments on it. Gotcha. I didn't insult him or you, nor made any type of personal attack. I work in higher ed, and just offered some advice. It's worth everything you paid for it. Not sure why you felt you needed to White Knight for him.

I made NO mention of your son's aspirations, and was only commenting on the fact that a PoliSci degree doesn't usually open many doors for employment after college, and there's no such thing as undergraduate law studies. That's a JD. I support some of those government agencies you mention, and know what types of education they seek in young applicants.

This board has all types of unsolicited advice. It's what we do. If you don't want someone commenting on your post, don't post your family's business to the board. It's really rather simple.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    So in what careers/jobs/corporations is the policy not put there by an attorney? And why does the job make a difference whether it is a sales clerk at a gas station or a banker or a lawyer or a plumber? What does it have to do with lying to your employer or having to put food on their table?
    Toorop brings out an interesting point. If you want to live a long, healthy life, making good decisions about ones career is vital. You have a far less chance of needing a firearm to stave off a violent attack if your job is: a) legal, b) not involved in customer service, and c) doesn't involve fining/arresting/citing others.

I know I would hate to be unemployed and laying around the house, but I'm not going to accept a job as a bullseye for robbers just to keep busy. I'd rather volunteer at an old folks' home or hospital. That's just my own personal view...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Toorop brings out an interesting point. If you want to live a long, healthy life, making good decisions about ones career is vital. You have a far less chance of needing a firearm to stave off a violent attack if your job is: a) legal, b) not involved in customer service, and c) doesn't involve fining/arresting/citing others.

I know I would hate to be unemployed and laying around the house, but I'm not going to accept a job as a bullseye for robbers just to keep busy. I'd rather volunteer at an old folks' home or hospital. That's just my own personal view...
    I have to say, if it was between taking food stamps and working a crappy, risky job, I would be working the crappy, risky job...

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I have to say, if it was between taking food stamps and working a crappy, risky job, I would be working the crappy, risky job...
    Please note this was not the poster's situation as he stated it. He said he took the job to keep himself occupied. If he meant something else, then my comments are irrelevant.

I, too, would take ANY work over idleness, but that was not the point.

The point currently is: would you accept a risky job if you really didn't need the money?

I'd carry. Unless it's a career that you're thinking about staying in for a long time, I wouldn't give it a second thought. If someone comes in and just flashes a weapon or says they have one, I'd just give them what they want, but so help me the moment anyone pointed one at me I'd be looking for the next opportunity to off them.
    Richard58 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Age quod agis

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links