Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

This is a discussion on Breaking the rules, Carrying at work. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was laid off a while back, and well times are not great for finding good work that pays what I am used to. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

Breaking the rules, Carrying at work.

I was laid off a while back, and well times are not great for finding good work that pays what I am used to. I cannot stand unenjoyment (unemployment) and picked something up to keep me occupied (convenience store Asst. Manager).
    The area has had a rash/spell of robberies and the trend seems to be getting violent, why I do not know. So the store is not posted (posting carries weight of law) but it is against company policy. So if found out I would lose my job, this job is not worth my life, for that matter none I have ever had have been.

Now the companiesí policy is let them have it and well the cash and merchandise is theirs so I would, but if I was threatened and believed the threat was real, or the perps attempted to assault me I would lose my job and take necessary measures.

Just looking for feedback, thoughts, others that do the same or do not and why.
    Pat
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Your thinking is sound
    TN_Mike and mano3 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Im not sure if you are familiar but WAWA is a pretty big convenient store on the east coast. It was also against company policy to carry a firearm, but no job is worth my life so I carried anyway. Id rather lose the job than my life.

About 6 months in I got really close with my General Manager, Harry. When I felt we were close enough I told him that I carried at work and he didn't really care. He said if anything happened or anyone found out that he didn't know anything and that was that.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

if you defend your self in any way...its the highway...hope you get lucky and the biggest problem you have is staying awake...crap job...but its true its easier to get hired if you are working...good luck Pfries

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    if you defend your self in any way...its the highway...hope you get lucky and the biggest problem you have is staying awake...crap job...but its true its easier to get hired if you are working...good luck Pfries
    I appreciate it and the "getting hired, yes employers look at it, if you are on unemployment to long they will not even look at you. Nevertheless, at the same time I am supposed be to semi-retired and heading back to school. Asst. Manager puts me second shift, allows for school, and keeps me from going bonkers! Heading to get my Doctorate in Nursing Sciences and open a mobile clinic to service the outlying rural areas that do not have medical facilities readily available.
    Will not pay a ton but I enjoy helping where it is needed. Thus my time as a volunteer, Firefighter and EMTS back up in MI.
    Thank you for the props CaptSmith
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I agree, your thinking is sound. If you are in a situation where you need to defend yourself with a firearm, well, the job would have been a non issue anyway. Also, for what its worth, I think by finding work to keep busy and attending school you will put yourself way ahead of the majority in terms of being looked at when it comes to a more permanent position. With so many out of work being on unemployment isn't the stigma it used to be. Instead what you make of the time becomes critical.

What I hear you saying is that CCW is not illegal and you're going to do so.
    The firearm is only going to defend your life, you'll take your chances with company police.
    I would do the same...
    Spade115, afojc and Honk like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    As long as you are not breaking any laws that would land you in jail I would keep doing what you're doing. As long as you can come home every day to your family is the only thing that matters. I wish I could carry at work, being in the military I can not. I'm not to worried about being on base and getting shot (could happen but less likely than getting jacked or something in FayetteNAM, NC on the way home.

VIP Member
    Do what you have to do and good luck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It took me over a year to find a job that pays half what my former job paid. I am not allowed to carry a firearm at work. Seeing as I am often alone at any hour of the day dealing with "customers" to whom I may issue a citation in 4-figure amounts, sometimes they are not happy campers. I usually keep a 4-cell Maglite and a tactical pen at hand. I can't provide for the wife if I'm out or work or dead, but having a job takes priority over not having one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Similar thread: lose/lose: you will be fired for breaking policy

See link in thread. I think you're on to something.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Before everybody starts throwing flames my way read the whole thing. I am not judgmental of anyone doing what they need to do to protect themselves. But my son was reading the forum and we started talking about the conversations in a few threads, the one about carrying in a friends house, this one, lose/lose. He is 17 and pro 2 A. And I would say very bright and astute. He asked me what anti's would think of some of the post. What he was getting at, if you are in the general population and don't carry, it looks to them that we are a bunch of people that don't give a crap about other peoples rights (including employers, home owners). A employer has an expectation of honesty from his workers and for them to follow his rules. In return, the employer promises a safe work place and safe working conditions for the employee's. If an employer has made a risk assessment to not have fire arms in his establishment that is his right and has an expectation for the workers to follow it. If they do not like the policy they should seek employment elsewhere. Like somebody told me in another thread: if you don't like the union, find a place that doesn't have a union. Not a great analogy but the best I can do without any coffee. And two sayings he says might not make us look so respectful when it comes to carrying in a posted no-gun area. CANT, and when it comes to defense:I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by six. He says that it may convey that CC'ers will shoot first and take the ramifications if they are wrong.
    These ideas are not how he or I feel. He was wondering if any others feel that anti's will think like that after reading post like that on this forum, and if so, if it hurts our cause. BTW: he goes to college next year (Wake Forest or Rice) and wants to study Law or Political Science
    Toorop likes this.

dont ask dont tell...

While it seems this topic is brought up in a new thread at least once per week.. I'll agree with your line of thinking.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

You work somewhere that it is much more likely to come into play than the average office job. If I worked in a connivence store you better believe I'd be carrying, company policy be damned.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links