Traveling through Canada!

This is a discussion on Traveling through Canada! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search on this but didn't find anything. Sorry if I missed it. I may be traveling through Canada on my way to ...

Thread: Traveling through Canada!

Traveling through Canada!

I did a search on this but didn't find anything. Sorry if I missed it.

I may be traveling through Canada on my way to Alaska and am a little confused on exactly what the law is.

I know that I can't carry period. But can I even transport my guns through Canada? Assuming that I seperate the weapon and the ammo and put each in a locked container... would that be ok?

Any help would be appreciated. The last thing I want is to break the law in Canada and possibly go to jail.

2. Remove Ads

Read the rules and proceed with caution

Here is a link to the Canadian government website concerning firearm importation into Canada:
    Canadian firearm importation
    This is long and involved, and you should read it completely. Here is a copy of one of the more important paragraphs:

Visitors to Canada

If you are a visitor to Canada, as of January 1, 2001, you will have to declare your firearms in writing.

Visitors may only import non-restricted firearms for legitimate purposes such as:

* sporting or hunting use during hunting season;
    * use in competitions;
    * in-transit movement (i.e., moving in the most direct route possible from Point A to Point B) through Canada; or
    * personal protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada, as long as the customs officer is satisfied that the circumstances warrant the firearm being imported.

If you are importing restricted firearms you need an authorization to transport. You can get an application for an authorization to transport by calling the Canadian Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000.

Visitors cannot, under any circumstances, import prohibited firearms.

Visitors who plan to leave firearms in Canada will have to pay duties and taxes. If the firearm is sold or otherwise transferred to a Canadian resident, the parties must meet all the legal requirements associated with transferring firearms.

1943 - 2009
    Well, you have to go through Canada if you're driving to Alaska. No other way.

You cannot cross the border with a handgun, period. Certain long guns are prohibited, also.

This site might be helpful: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I would check with U.S. Customs, also.

Have a safe trip. If you are driving, the ALCAN Highway is a fantastic drive. Also, pick up a copy of the book, The Milepost. It's invaluable.

Edited to read: After reading pogo2's link, it appears that not all handguns are prohibited in Canada. My mistake.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; August 21st, 2006 at 04:08 PM.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    WOW I have never looked at it before but it is over 2300 miles from Seattle to Anchorage.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I just looked it up on Mapquest and it is 4424 miles from Austin to Anchorage, (round trip of 8848...Wow!). Continental ticket from Austin to Anchorage is $531 for a round trip and will get you there in less time. If you figure $3 per gallon of gas, plus frustration and the fact that you can still transport your firearms on a plane, then you might be better off to fly. That is unless you are planning on transporting a lot of stuff!

I would fly also, saves you the cash you are going to spend driving. Unless, you are fortunate and have the extra dough around. Good luck.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Its looks more scary than it is. We duck in Canada every year. I've never had a problem with our long guns. Shoot they've only looked at the guns once. The rest of the time it been fill out paperwork, pay fee, go on into the country. Piece of cake.

Handguns, unfortunatly are a different story. No can do.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

Thanks to everyone for the info. Pogo2, thanks for the link and the 800 #, that will help considerably.

It looks like I'll have to ship the guns via a FFL. I'ts going to feel strange not to have a gun on my hip.

Captain Crunch, I will be taking the ALCAN highway and I'm very excited about the trip. Thanks for the tip on the magazine, I'll get a copy before I go.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Well, you have to go through Canada if you're driving to Alaska. No other way.

You cannot cross the border with a handgun, period. Certain long guns are prohibited, also.

This site might be helpful: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

I would check with U.S. Customs, also.

Have a safe trip. If you are driving, the ALCAN Highway is a fantastic drive. Also, pick up a copy of the book, The Milepost. It's invaluable.

Edited to read: After reading pogo2's link, it appears that not all handguns are prohibited in Canada. My mistake.
    That's why I fly to Alaska when I hunt or fish up there. I also have my dealer priority mail my handguns (one to hunt with and one to carry) to a dealer in Anchorage before I go. It's cheaper than Fed-Ex or UPS, and more secure than putting them in checked baggage. Considering I've got over $1800 in my hunting handgun (a Bowen Classic Arms .475 Linebaugh Redhawk).
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I just returned from AK and drove through Canada up and Back. It seemed to me that trying to take a pistol through was out of the question. So, I sent the pistol to a sporting goods store in Ancourge, and carryed a shotgun across Canada. No problem at all. When I returned to the states I just sent the pistol to myself at home. It was waiting for me when I arrived. A word of advice, all you really need is the shotgun. A 44 mag is bottum line for big bear. 12 Ga shotgun with slugs is about right, for anything that is. I know you will have a great time up there. A trip you will never forget

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I think you can take a pistol, but will have to check the regs, if the barrel is less that 4" or is .25, .32 calibre then forget it. If you can bring it, you will need the paperwork, a gun case and trigger lock.

You will have to register to use this site, but it is a good bunch and you might be able to hook up with some gun nuts along your way.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/

Sonic...

good luck finding $3/gal gas in rural Canada! I lived in Alaska for 7 years...out in the Aleutian Islands! We drove the AlCan one summer in the mid 80's. Gas in upper Canada at that time was about 'One arm and one leg' per gallon.
    About the guns...don't take anything...they will take your guns, your car and your first born for starters...then it gets worse!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Well I was just up in Dawson and Whitehorse, gas was $1.39 a litre (4 litres to the US Gallon) Gas here has come down from $1.10 a litre to 99.8cents a litre. Also the US $ is around $1.05 Canadian right now so not much help there. A lot of businesses noted that very few US tourists came through this year.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Would only advise this...... having delt with the government of Quebec reguarding firearms.(I used to guide in Canada just accross the border from Maine) Obay their laws to the letter. The Canadian government will throw you in jail in a heartbeat and confiscate everything in your posession if you falter. -------

... having delt with the government of Quebec reguarding firearms. Obay [sic] their laws to the letter.
    ... if only because it's not your country and you don't have any right to carry into that country. That ought to be enough.

Definitely fly to AK. One-third the cost and standardized, well-understood protocol for transportation of firearms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links