I feel horrible - Page 2

I feel horrible

This is a discussion on I feel horrible within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jerp So, i work as sercurity for an organization, and a building is posted no weapons. I just caught a glimpse of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 65
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: I feel horrible

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array walleye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    erie PA
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    So, i work as sercurity for an organization, and a building is posted no weapons. I just caught a glimpse of his. Weapon as he went to "badge in" to the building. I had to ask that person to remove the weapon from the building. To deny someone their right, feels horrible. Scary thing is i am an unarmed security officer, what if he didnt wanna comply? I am not carrying, all i know is that he did and i am glad. But i just cant believe that i had to enforce a rule on making someone leave because of a right that both them and i support...
    There is no "Right" to carry a weapon on private property. Anymore than there is a "Right" for people to march into your living room carrying signs for some cause because of Free Speech.

    This is not what the Amendments are about.
    Toorop likes this.


  2. #17
    Member Array pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    390
    I had an incident at my previous employer where I was a production supervisor. We had a strict no weapons policy for employees, the building was not however posted (posting carries weight of law in TN). One of the employees was running late. I was at the security desk chitchatting with the guards for a minute as he ran by to hit the time clock (he was not one to run late). You could walk onto the production floor at that time without going through the metal detectors and had to get to the production floor to clock in.The employee forgot he had his small .380 in his pocket holster. I minute or so later I came onto the floor and he flagged me down, he discreetly let me know what had happened. We would have had to walk out through the metal detectors and that would have started something. I knew he had his HCP as we had been to the range together. I asked him where it was, he told me, I asked him not to touch it and flagged down one of the other supervisors an ex-LEO and friend. I had him go get security and meet us to head out through the HR hallway as they are not in at this time in the morning. We all knew this would cost him his job.

    It did.

    Later that morning after all the over reaction to the situation had settled down HR attempted to post the building when they found out that we had not contacted the police and why. The posting was not a legal posting; it came nowhere close to meeting the requirements in TN. The plant manager asked me if what we had posted would work (another gun enthusiast) and one that knows I follow the laws closely, and actively take part in fight for and against legislation here in TN. I informed him it did not and was told to “Fix it”. I gritted my teeth and did.

    In short, I empathize. You did what the job called for,and when it is something that is legal but goes against your grain it is difficult.This does speak volumes about you work ethic and balance of morals, and I commend you for what you did in a difficult situation.
    Mors est libertas


    MALAD JUSTED

  3. #18
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    22,345
    No reason to feel bad. You were doing what your employer is paying you to do. We all do things in our jobs we don't agree with, but you do what you have to do.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  4. #19
    Member Array JerryMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Mograthi View Post
    With the amount of individuals in at least three different threads now replying with CANT (Carry Always Never Tell) and screw them it is my right to protect myself so I will carry everywhere regardless of the private property owners rights or I ignore the signs when i see them, I sir would have to say that a good many legal concealed carry holders are definitely and blatantly disrespecting the letter of the law and the rights of private property owners.

    Do I agree with the fact that a business who obviously has no security can tell me I cant carry for my own, No. Will I carry in those posted businesses, No for the simple reason that it is the law in my state that if it is posted I am unable to carry there and I wouldn't want to be the criminal so many of us carry to protect ourselves from.
    In my state, it says it is my right, to carry, unless it is a place of a certain criteria, ie- federal bldgs, schools, ect..... I exercise my right of CANT , and here is the thing , it is the law that says i can carry there, it is their rules saying i cannot, if I am caught and asked to leave, and refuse, there is a problem, the thing is, if I am carrying concealed, I carry concealed, so goes back to CANT..... i do not have an attitude of screw them, I honestly do not pay that much attention to signs either, because I know where I am legal to carry and not carry.......if I do notice a sign, I usually try to put it in the gray matter and not frequent that place, but at the same time, am I going to turn around and go put my weapon in my car so i can go in.......dont think so.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

    I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

  5. #20
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,827
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    So, i work as sercurity for an organization, and a building is posted no weapons. I just caught a glimpse of his. Weapon as he went to "badge in" to the building. I had to ask that person to remove the weapon from the building. To deny someone their right, feels horrible. Scary thing is i am an unarmed security officer, what if he didnt wanna comply? I am not carrying, all i know is that he did and i am glad. But i just cant believe that i had to enforce a rule on making someone leave because of a right that both them and i support...
    There are many jobs I simply do not have the stomach for.

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array JoJoGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,975
    As much as we who cherish the right and freedom to keep and bear arms, we also must respect the rules of private property, even when those rules appear to violate our precious 2A rights.

    We must respect the rights of others to put no firearms rules in place, and hire people to enforce the rules. You did exactly as you were hired to do so do not feel bad about it. It is just the way it is.

    The only downside would be someone coming in with an illegal firearm that totally disreguards the rules, with an axe to grind and you simply have no way to stop them because of the Company's no firearms policy. Heaven forbid that ever happen, but with most gun free zones we see it way too much.

    Perhaps a few articles on how gun bans in work places created the environment to have an active shooter and placed in strategic places of management or owners. This may get their attention and serious consideration of arming the security personel at the very least.
    Toorop likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

    The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

  7. #22
    Member Array Mograthi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    In my state, it says it is my right, to carry, unless it is a place of a certain criteria, ie- federal bldgs, schools, ect..... I exercise my right of CANT , and here is the thing , it is the law that says i can carry there, it is their rules saying i cannot, if I am caught and asked to leave, and refuse, there is a problem, the thing is, if I am carrying concealed, I carry concealed, so goes back to CANT..... i do not have an attitude of screw them, I honestly do not pay that much attention to signs either, because I know where I am legal to carry and not carry.......if I do notice a sign, I usually try to put it in the gray matter and not frequent that place, but at the same time, am I going to turn around and go put my weapon in my car so i can go in.......dont think so.
    In your state with your Laws I agree with what you are doing and have no problem with it since it isn't against your states laws. The problem I have with the folks responding by saying use the CANT method is when they tell the OP of a thread to use it when it is a violation of the OP's states law. I know it is a pain to look the info up before replying with use CANT and I also know that it is the individuals responsibility to know the laws they are subject to, but I would hate for someone in Wisconsin who has just gotten their license under the new law to follow the advice here when they ask and are told by the members here to carry any way.

  8. #23
    Ex Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there.
    Posts
    1,312
    Just because the law let's you violate someone's property rights doesn't make it right. I would want to control my property and I follow the golden rule. When you carry knowingly against the wishes of the property owner you are lying and I was raised to believe that lying is a sin. Maybe it is just my good Christian upbringing that makes me think as I do.

  9. #24
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Just because the law let's you violate someone's property rights doesn't make it right. I would want to control my property and I follow the golden rule. When you carry knowingly against the wishes of the property owner you are lying and I was raised to believe that lying is a sin. Maybe it is just my good Christian upbringing that makes me think as I do.
    And under what authority do you claim to have right of say so over property?
    M203Sniper likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  10. #25
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Congratulations,

    You are the enemy.

    As a first responder you have violated a constitutional right because of a company policy.
    Here's something for you to refresh yourself. Oath Keepers » Blog Archive » Declaration Of Orders We Will Not Obey
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  11. #26
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    11,827
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Congratulations,

    You are the enemy.

    As a first responder you have violated a constitutional right because of a company policy.
    Here's something for you to refresh yourself. Oath Keepers » Blog Archive » Declaration Of Orders We Will Not Obey
    Your call.

  12. #27
    Ex Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there.
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    And under what authority do you claim to have right of say so over property?
    If I own the property then you are welcome upon it provided you follow the rules I have decided upon. Basically it is the authority I have been granted by the law. If I go into your home or place of business and you ask me to leave because you dislike me, well you have the legal right to do so. The same authority that prevents me from having a voodoo ceremony in your living room or having my protest inside your bedroom.

  13. #28
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Congratulations,

    You are the enemy.

    As a first responder you have violated a constitutional right because of a company policy.
    Here's something for you to refresh yourself. Oath Keepers » Blog Archive » Declaration Of Orders We Will Not Obey
    The Constitution was only meant to protect you from the Government. I do not know where the idea that the Constitution was meant to impose limitations on individuals came from.

    Michael

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    2,304
    The survival of the self is to take from the neighbor.

    Even before civilization this has been true.

    I wish you good luck. The Gods do no seem to be cooperating.

  15. #30
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The Constitution was only meant to protect you from the Government. I do not know where the idea that the Constitution was meant to impose limitations on individuals came from.

    Michael
    That concept is so outrageous it is as bad as a lie.

    The government can't stop me from exercising my right to vote but two guys standing outside the polling place can charge me a "tax" because of my affiliation or appearance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop
    If I own the property then you are welcome upon it provided you follow the rules I have decided upon. Basically it is the authority I have been granted by the law. If I go into your home or place of business and you ask me to leave because you dislike me, well you have the legal right to do so. The same authority that prevents me from having a voodoo ceremony in your living room or having my protest inside your bedroom.
    You don't understand the difference between private property and a public accommodation.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can a company tell me i cant carry a weapon on their property if im licensed?

Click on a term to search for related topics.