I feel horrible

This is a discussion on I feel horrible within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, i work as sercurity for an organization, and a building is posted no weapons. I just caught a glimpse of his. Weapon as he ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: I feel horrible

I feel horrible

So, i work as sercurity for an organization, and a building is posted no weapons. I just caught a glimpse of his. Weapon as he went to "badge in" to the building. I had to ask that person to remove the weapon from the building. To deny someone their right, feels horrible. Scary thing is i am an unarmed security officer, what if he didnt wanna comply? I am not carrying, all i know is that he did and i am glad. But i just cant believe that i had to enforce a rule on making someone leave because of a right that both them and i support...
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Unarmed Security? Hope you've at least invested in Body Armor.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Unarmed Security? Hope you've at least invested in Body Armor.
    I should do that, but its the stupid organization i work for either that or drop the money and get my armed license and work some place else.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

You did what you were hired to do. You protected the rights of the people who hired you. Its that simple.

Michael
    Hopyard, SIXTO, RMS and 11 others like this.

I can't imagine your pain, but it's your job. Ever check to see if you could carry a knife, peper spray, taser, a brick or ANYTHING just to protect yourself? Some tasers are disguised as cell phones and they are pretty darn close to looking like the real deal flip or smart phone.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

sgb
    Unarmed security in free kill zones provides the thinnest illusion of security to those too stupid to know better.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Yup Come with the job. 30 years ago I was a armed security gaurd 3rd shift, I slept at least 6 of 8 hrs ; ) PS Keep up the great job & hit the deck if lead is sent your way.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...what if he didnt wanna comply?"

Let him in and say, "Hey, boss, I've got a little problem here."
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Although I don't 100% believe in "do anything because it is your job," in this instance you did the correct thing.

You should give yourself a great deal of credit for a combination of personal courage and integrity. Personal courage for
    taking a job in which you will (without question) encounter armed people as an unarmed guard. Integrity for doing what your
    company hired you to do, and doing it even though it involves some real risk. Others would no doubt look the other way just
    to protect themselves from the very rare unfortunate outcome.

I would not want your job, but that doesn't mean you should not want your job. A man has to do what a man has to do to make a living. As long as it is legal and being done ethically, you can hold your head high. You can indeed hold your head high.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I understand your situation completely and I know how scarce jobs are these days. It sounds as if you acted in a professional manner and achieved the desired outcome. You did your job regardless of personal issues. That is what professionals do.

We gun owners are the good guys and as such, respect the law and private property rights. Your employer has decided, however foolishly, that he wishes to have a no gun policy which is his right. I've been there, done that. Shortly after I retired from the PD, I worked as an unarmed security officer, where the business owners have a no gun policy. The ironic part is, the company is a major player in the firearms manufacturing industry. If I told you, you would recognize the name immediately. Daily, employees and customers brought in firearms that I had to take possession of, log-in and personally store them, or deliver to the appropriate facility in the plant. I didn't stay in that job long. It wasn't the "dream" job I had hoped it would be. Reality sometimes sux.

I got an offer to work as an executive protection officer, a "civilian" contractor, for a high profile elected official, where I've been issued a firearm and ammo. (They won't let me carry my own.) Five + years and I'm still there, but switched to part-time six months ago. This isn't a dream job either, but at least I'm well armed and better paid.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "...what if he didnt wanna comply?"

Let him in and say, "Hey, boss, I've got a little problem here."
    We have a form 175-A for when that happens. Pick it up at the HR office.

Michael
    Rock and Glock and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    [COLOR=#000080
    We gun owners are the good guys and as such, respect the law and private property rights. [/COLOR]
    With the amount of individuals in at least three different threads now replying with CANT (Carry Always Never Tell) and screw them it is my right to protect myself so I will carry everywhere regardless of the private property owners rights or I ignore the signs when i see them, I sir would have to say that a good many legal concealed carry holders are definitely and blatantly disrespecting the letter of the law and the rights of private property owners.

Do I agree with the fact that a business who obviously has no security can tell me I cant carry for my own, No. Will I carry in those posted businesses, No for the simple reason that it is the law in my state that if it is posted I am unable to carry there and I wouldn't want to be the criminal so many of us carry to protect ourselves from.
    yooperdug, MadMac and Toorop like this.

If you like living in a house and eating, you have to do what your employer says!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I did the same type of job at a federal courthouse building (contracted entrance security). The difference was we were armed. My advice is if you stay in private security spend the money on an armed license. With the armed certification you will be more valuable to the company and it will open up other options for you. You may also consider adding a Private Investigator/Detective license. If you are active in the investigations area that is where you can make some real money.

You did right. It is the way it is. Hu have job and I hope you like ot, as it makes it much more enjoyable. That being said you did what you were hired to do so hold your head high. Fight the rules on personal time, when i shouldn't cost you your job to try for a policy change.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links