i think im going to carry at work.. wwyd? - Page 2

i think im going to carry at work.. wwyd?

This is a discussion on i think im going to carry at work.. wwyd? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The fact that you are even asking, considering the law, your job and your own actions kicking out the other guy, kinda surprises me. It ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: i think im going to carry at work.. wwyd?

The fact that you are even asking, considering the law, your job and your own actions kicking out the other guy, kinda surprises me.

It doesn't reflect well on your judgement. Don't be the test case that gets CCW repealed in your state.
    MadMac likes this.

Ya know, it's my sig line.... CAN'T... but listen... I don't carry where it is illegal to do so.... I don't carry in schools, I don't carry on USPS property. Our state law is preemtive, and the little localities and counties are trying to get around it... And, they really can't get around it legally, BUT I don't carry where municipalities and counties have posted either...

I believe in my rights, I fight for them through channels supporting efforts to strengthen the preemption law, etc. BUT, MY POCKETS ARE NOT DEEP ENOUGH TO BE THE test CASE, even when I know I am legally right. And, Jerp, I don't think yours are either...

If signage in WI carries the force of law, and I were in a high risk job, like say a stop and rob.... I'd quit the job before I'd risk losing my rights, being "criminalized" by wrong laws, and perhaps spending time in prison. If it's just a "policy" with no LEGAL repercussions... then the decision can be made... But not criminally... That is not what CCrs are about.
    WD54241 and MrBuckwheat like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'd look into an employer change.

You gotta ask yourself, is it worth the risk if something goes wrong? Can you identify the risks? They might be more severe than termination of employment...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

How about talking with management? Voice your concerns and ideas. Maybe they will agree with you. Then you can get the license you need and carry on the job.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Another vote for change of work.
    Just like one of the rules of concealed carry,remove yourself from the situation.In your case you need to remove yourself from this situation before you do something totally unlawful.

I think SIXTO makes a great point in that your situation is more unique than most other cases. Being a security guard, bringing a gun when you are filling an unarmed billet would be something they'd love to break off in your rear.

Get an armed commission or find another job.

As far as the anti's are concerned, I don't care much for what they think. It's not their life on the line. There have been numerous cases where employee's have carried and used a gun to save their life during a robbery even though it was against company policy. Some lost their job, and some didn't. But none of them went to jail or were prosecuted because their shooting incidents were justified self defense. I haven't seen any of the cases I've read about making much of an impact with the anti-gun crowd when the cases are reported in local newspapers and TV.

One of the most recent cases was a coffee shop employee for Dutch Brothers Coffee in Oregon. He shot and killed an armed robber who had a shotgun. Employee handbook and all employees knew guns were against company policy. Corporate office not only didn't fire him, but gave him time off with pay and offered to pay for professional counseling if he needed it. They also said they would re-evaluate their corporate policy about no weapons for employees.

Dutch Bros. barista shoots, kills robber in Eugene
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonlive.com
    Angie Galimanis, a spokeswoman for the company, said the company has a policy prohibiting employees from carrying firearms at work.

Barista who shot robber put on paid leave
    Quote Originally Posted by KGW.com
    Travis Boersma, CEO of Dutch Bros. Coffee issued the following statement via the Lane PR firm:

"We are extremely thankful that our employee was not injured in the robbery on November 24 and are appreciative that no charges will be filed. The employee is on paid leave and is welcome back when he is ready to return to work. We work closely with our employees and do our best to ensure they are safe and protected while at work and will continue to do so. All procedures will be reviewed and evaluated as a result of this incident."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Just wanted to add that in WI carrying when it is against company policy will get you a free ride to jail and no $200. Not only signs but verbal statements and company policy carry the weight of law as they are all means of informing you of the position of the property owner. While in some states CAN'T may work for you here it will cost you your permit, possibly your gun and future ability to purchase guns, as well as a criminal record and hearty fine.

You've been persistently discussing this subject now so it has to be really bothering you. So heres what you do...while looking for another job, go online and buy an ultrafire flashlight, some of them run about 260 lumens. They cost around 100 bucks but im sure you could find one cheaper used. Flashlights are one of the most underrated, and in your case, "legal" weapons you can carry on the job.

Don't underestimate how affective smashing someone in the face with a metal flashlight while the power of the sun is shining in their eyes can be.
    JerryMac and Bark'n like this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Ok so on the main concealed forum i posted that i felt bad for kicking a guy out of the company building i work for (security guard). I caught a glimpse of his weapon and the building is posted. I confronted him and said the weapon had to be removed from the building. He complied and returned without it. Now i am an unarmed security officer, and i got to thinking about that. What would have happemed if he was some nut job, or a guy just having a bad day? And when confronted pulls his gun? FREEZE! i have no cover in the huge lobby, and no defense....
    Nothing different from any other day. This is one of the top three "Sky is Falling" mantras from the antis.

You are a security guard. Don't be a "wanna be LEO". Be polite, courteous, and don't escalate a situation. Step back, take a deep breath and think about it. You caught one guy that did not conceal all that well and walked past a sign, likely unknowingly. No telling how many others have walked past that you did not know about. If all of a sudden that little fact bothers you, then yes, you need to find a different type of employment track.
    Bark'n and oakchas like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Without reading every reply IMO this is really a very simple straightforward thread. You want the job or you do not. You CC and it is not policy, I would fire your yada yada---case closed. What ifs mean nothing.

If you believe in personal self-defense enough to carry a gun, you should be looking for another line of work NOW. There are many jobs that statistically have a higher likelihod of danger and violence. Yours is a such a job.

I understand that not everyone can or wants to be a PhD or CEO, but if you are working as a convenience store clerk, an unarmed security guard, ghetto property manager, or bouncer, you need to be preparing yourself to move into a safer role in life.

Neitzsche once said, "Either you reach a higher point today, or you exercise your strength in order to be able to climb higher tomorrow."

You're dealing with the symptoms of your security and safety issues, you're not treating the cause. Some of the best self-defense techniques you can use are studying and going to night school if necessary to better yourself. You'll live in nicer (safer) neighborhoods, your kids will go to better (safer) schools, you can afford better justice, and you'll be in a class of people who get better treatment from "the system".
    Bark'n likes this.

I advise against it. I work security over night at a hospital. No guns allowed but the sign has no legal backing. But since I work here, I'd be fired if I carried here. It sucks but thats the way it is. Maybe things will change when some lunatic comes in here and starts shooting.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Around here we call that ..........'' the pot calling the kettle black '' .... not to mention from what i have read it is totally against the law. Would definatly look for employment elsewhere......before i risked my right to carry, going to jail, and having a record over something like that....talk with your emplyer, if you feel that strongly, I am assuming you work for a security firm, and ask if they will help get you the training required to carry and ask if there are any jobs or locations where carry is allowed.
    MadMac likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Ditto to all of the "don't do it" folks above.

But here's another take to add to it: evaluate the likelihood of a bad thing happening to you while unarmed at work (risk1) and the effect it would have on your family (imact1). Sure, we can all imagine such a scenario and it would be a bummer for all concerned, but it really is pretty unlikely. NOW... evaluate the likelihood of your being discovered as carrying (risk2), losing your job and going to jail for breaking the law and the effect THAT would have on your family (impact2).

risk1 x imact1 should be evaluated against risk2 x impact2

In this case, the scales tilt towards your being a BETTER protector and provider for your family if you keep your job and keep feeding them.

Of course, you could change the equation neatly by getting another job and removing the risk of being a security guard. But that risk x impact approach might be of help as you make your decision.

(of course it's really probability1 x scenario1 x impact1, but you get the idea.)
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Paymeister makes a great point. Allow me to add that you can also transfer some of that risk by buying solid life insurance. If you do get whacked on the job, your family will have the money to continue their lives in safety and relative comfort.

Far too many people live life like they're never going to die, and die like they never lived.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links