i think im going to carry at work.. wwyd?

This is a discussion on i think im going to carry at work.. wwyd? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jerp Ok so on the main concealed forum i posted that i felt bad for kicking a guy out of the company ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: i think im going to carry at work.. wwyd?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Ok so on the main concealed forum i posted that i felt bad for kicking a guy out of the company building i work for (security guard). I caught a glimpse of his weapon and the building is posted. I confronted him and said the weapon had to be removed from the building. He complied and returned without it. Now i am an unarmed security officer, and i got to thinking about that. What would have happemed if he was some nut job, or a guy just having a bad day? And when confronted pulls his gun? FREEZE! i have no cover in the huge lobby, and no defense.... i think im going to risk my job and company policy, and carry should that situation every arise. But what would u do?
    I would not break the law or violate employer policy. The criminal and tort repercussions are simply too great. I would have a different job.

2. Remove Ads

Don't break the law. Start looking for another job.

Last year, I quit a part time seasonal job doing income taxes I had held for 4 years because the ownership changed. I had carried concealed the previous year (after discussing it with the owner) and none of the other employees knew. One of the other employees, who had started working at the same time I had, bought the franchise and I discussed my carrying with her. Unfortunately, she is totally anti-gun. Irrationally so. We had another discussion about a week or so later. She did not post the business and did not tell me I absolutely could not carry, but she made it clear she was very uncomfortable about it and that she had discussed it with a couple of other employees and they were uncomfortable about it.

First of all, I was upset that she had discussed it with other employees, as concealed means concealed as far as I am concerned, and I did not feel they had the right to know. I had discussed it with the new owner, as I did feel she had the right to know and to decide. We had a rather lengthy conversation about self defense, guns, police response time, yadda, yadda, yadda. As I said before, she is irrationally afraid of guns and logic was not going to make her change her mind. I thought about the situation overnight, and turned in my keys to her the next morning. I did not feel safe working evenings unarmed and I knew she was uncomfortable with me carrying. So I did what I felt was the "right" thing to do and quit.

Now in my situation, I am retired and this was only a part time seasonal job to add a little extra money for motorcycle trips and extra ammo. It wasn't needed to feed the family and pay the bills. It does hurt the pocket book as I can't spend as much on "toys" now, but quiting was the only "honorable" alternative in my humble opinion.
    WD54241 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Agree with the postings above, DON'T BREAK THE LAW! The guy you had remove his gun desrved it! Don't chance it.

Just a thought... I would have never posted that on this, or any other forum...Nothing good will come of it I can assure you.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I think I would start off by discussing the situation that occured with managment. Tell them that you had to ask an armed individual to leave the premises, he complied, but then ask then what do they think would have happened if he had been a nut case and didn't want to comply? Ask them what they think the outcome would have been had he started shooting?

If they provide life insurance to you as part of your compensation, ask them if they feel it would be enough to raise your family, pay for your childrens education, and your wife's retirement?

Ask them how many more employees could have been killed by the time the gunman ran out of ammo or the police arrived and were able to stop him?

Ask them if the company could continue on in the wake of the law suits by the family's of the victums, and also the possible loss of valuable employees?

Ask them to suggest how you as an unarmed securuity guard is supposed to disarm a crazed gunman?

After they have given all this some thougth, ask them if they think perhaps their security should be upgraded to include armed security?
    1911_Kimber likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I think I would start off by discussing the situation that occured with managment. Tell them that you had to ask an armed individual to leave the premises, he complied, but then ask then what do they think would have happened if he had been a nut case and didn't want to comply? Ask them what they think the outcome would have been had he started shooting?

If they provide life insurance to you as part of your compensation, ask them if they feel it would be enough to raise your family, pay for your childrens education, and your wife's retirement?

Ask them how many more employees could have been killed by the time the gunman ran out of ammo or the police arrived and were able to stop him?

Ask them if the company could continue on in the wake of the law suits by the family's of the victums, and also the possible loss of valuable employees?

Ask them to suggest how you as an unarmed securuity guard is supposed to disarm a crazed gunman?

After they have given all this some thougth, ask them if they think perhaps their security should be upgraded to include armed security?
    Those suggestions should put the OP on the fast track to the top.

Easy, don't do it.

It's easier (and less stressful) to find another job while being currently employed... Enforce the rules, don't break them.

One last thought from me. I assume you have been doing this job for a while as you sound like a very competent, confident, and dedicated person. Until November you did not have a CC option here in WI. Did you have the same concerns for the last how ever many years you have been a guard? Were you concerned enough to consider carrying before the law was passed? The consequences were similar, both misdemeanor offenses for CC before the law and current CC on posted property. As I tell business owners who post, you are now concerned about the legal CC permit holders that have proven they have no criminal history. The nut jobs that come in and shoot the place are the same threat now as they were 3 months or 3 years ago but now you are more concerned because of the possibility of confronting a law abiding licensed carrier. Your job is definitely on with risks associated but those risks have not increased since November, think about this from an outside, non-personal, unemotional perspective and I think you will see you may be considering a rash decision that could impact your life permanently.

Ok so on the main concealed forum i posted that i felt bad for kicking a guy out of the company building i work for (security guard). I caught a glimpse of his weapon and the building is posted. I confronted him and said the weapon had to be removed from the building. He complied and returned without it. Now i am an unarmed security officer, and i got to thinking about that. What would have happemed if he was some nut job, or a guy just having a bad day? And when confronted pulls his gun? FREEZE! i have no cover in the huge lobby, and no defense.... i think im going to risk my job and company policy, and carry should that situation every arise. But what would u do?
    Like I said on your other thread, I'd find a better, higher paying job. Unarmed security is a dead end career. I did it for a short time after my Navy time, but within a wekk I knew this was a job going nowhere. Good luck.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I wouldnt be worried about the guy who's legally carrying at all.

In your particular job, sounds like being armed would be a good idea, period.

From the other thread, I agree that getting your 'armed license' would be a very good idea. And then upgrading your status in your current job or finding another (when you can) that does value it.

I would not carry against my employer's policies.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    How about talking with management? Voice your concerns and ideas. Maybe they will agree with you. Then you can get the license you need and carry on the job.
    Here is the response I was looking for.... Talk to management.. If they are specting you to deal with armed individuals that could be BGs then you need to be able to defend yourself ... Don't break the law... You won't be able to get another job if you do
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I worked in a company which moved their operations into what is considered a "bad" neighborhood. The security cams outside recorded dope buys and even a SWAT dope bust in out parking lot.
    My main occupation is electronic engineering, however, I wore many hats being a small company. One of those hats was "Asst. Environmental, Health, and Safety coordinator" We were the safety and security team. I am only 5-7 and my boss was 5-4. we both hold CWPs and asked to be able to carry. Company rules were against carrying except for "Security Officers". The parent company said no. ( NY city based)
    So, when our situational awareness indicated an activity which could potentially become dangerous, all we could do is call the police.
    We (He and I) had a discussion with a lawyer re: carrying against company rules. Of course, you would be fired on the spot. Since the company entrance was posted with a very conspicuous sign, you are armed trespassing. You could be arrested.
    Now, you have lost your permit and probably your guns, you have an arrest record, and can't hold any job where you are a gov't contractor and/or a security clearance is required.

The lawyer said that if you are that paranoid about the bad area, find another place to work.
    We did.
    If the OP loves security work, take the class and become a licensed guard, then get a job doing so.

I'd obey the rules and, if you feel so threatened, change jobs.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

I'm going to chime in and agree with those that say follow the signs and rules at your place of employment. You can also open dialog with the management team and rationally point out your concerns. They may take your concerns under consideration, and provide you the means to be armed in your security role.

You do have options, one being look for other employment where you are not prohibited from carrying.

Good luck in your decisions.

Kurt

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Make a decision and not tell anyone on the internets about what I decided, is what I'd do.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links