Going to New Orleans for 10 days

Going to New Orleans for 10 days

This is a discussion on Going to New Orleans for 10 days within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And I was thinking about bringing along my USP Compact. It would require checking in the weapon with the airlines, which I have not had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Going to New Orleans for 10 days

  1. #1
    Member Array zonzin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Posts
    98

    Going to New Orleans for 10 days

    And I was thinking about bringing along my USP Compact. It would require checking in the weapon with the airlines, which I have not had the expirience of doing, and also leaving the weapon in my room safe at times.
    I have AZ and CA LTC's so I'm covered in LA. I also read all the info on LA carry at USCarry.org.

    Anything about carrying in New Orleans I should be aware of? Local PD's attitudes towards CCW?

    Or should I just leave it at home?




    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Second Amendment T-Shirts

    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array Moga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    738
    and also leaving the weapon in my room safe at times
    If you can't avoid the places that are off limits, I would leave it at home. There's nothing secure about the in-room safe provided by the hotel.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,718
    I wouldn't take my most favorite, most expensive, would hate to lose it firearm. If you have one, choose a less expensive, still reliable, easier to replace firearm. Airline could lose it (or mysteriously disappear), have an unfortunate run in with local law enforcement and have it confiscated, etc. I'm just saying.

    Have a safe trip.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  4. #4
    Ex Member Array Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,782
    In Louisiana you must have private property owners permission before carrying on their private property and you cannot carry at places of worship. These are the two most common places I visit, so it stays in the car a lot of times.

  5. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,936
    New Orleans?

    Do what ever you have to do to take it...and have it close by at all times.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Member Array zonzin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    In Louisiana you must have private property owners permission before carrying on their private property and you cannot carry at places of worship. These are the two most common places I visit, so it stays in the car a lot of times.
    Is the Hyatt considered PP ?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Second Amendment T-Shirts

    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity

  7. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,936
    Is the Hyatt considered PP ?
    Nope. You do not have to notify anyone at a hotel.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array ZX9RCAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    In Louisiana you must have private property owners permission before carrying on their private property
    Is a business considered "private property" as far as this is concerned?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

    -Will Rogers

    Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

  9. #9
    Member Array Cowbilly32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Great Republic of Texas!
    Posts
    73
    Regarding your question about checking it with airlines, check the internet for your particular airlines policy. When I flew Southwest, all I had to do was have the piece unloaded and in a locked container. The magazines could be full but not in the weapon. Ammo that was not in the mags had to be in a container approved for shipping. The cardboard box you buy it in was acceptable. Go up to the counter and declare the firearm. I strongly advise the use of the word FIREARM and not GUN. You will attract less unwanted attention that way.

    The counter attendant will give you a card to fill out to prove you declared the firearm and you will put it in your checked luggage with the weapon. All this will take extra time so arrive early and also because the TSA may wish to do a separate inspection. I have a Glock and the plastic container that it came in does not lock so I simply took the cable lock that came with it and wrapped it around the handles of the case and locked it so that it could not be opened. Make sure you have the key handy because they will want you to open it during inspection at the counter and again if the TSA wished to inspect.

    My experience has been uneventful and no one has gasped at the mention of a weapon nor did I get lectured. Be confident...it is your 2A right to possess and the airlines have procedures for transporting so no use in getting nervous. Enjoy your trip to the Big Easy! I grew up 30 miles west of there.

    Oh, if you are approached by someone (most of the time young kids) while walking in the French Quarter, and they want to bet you they know where you got your shoes...simply smile and say "I don't bet" and keep walking. It is a trick that you might pay dearly for. The same goes for any other type of bet you are approached with. Also, keep your wallet in your FRONT pocket unless your wallet pocket zips or buttons.
    kwoodford likes this.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt


    USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

  10. #10
    Member Array Cowbilly32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Great Republic of Texas!
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Is a business considered "private property" as far as this is concerned?
    No, private property is property that the general public cannot simply walk onto or into without invitation from the owner. Example is a house, you wouldn't just walk in without knocking on the door and being invited in.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt


    USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

  11. #11
    Member Array zonzin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    Regarding your question about checking it with airlines, check the internet for your particular airlines policy. When I flew Southwest, all I had to do was have the piece unloaded and in a locked container. The magazines could be full but not in the weapon. Ammo that was not in the mags had to be in a container approved for shipping. The cardboard box you buy it in was acceptable. Go up to the counter and declare the firearm. I strongly advise the use of the word FIREARM and not GUN. You will attract less unwanted attention that way.

    The counter attendant will give you a card to fill out to prove you declared the firearm and you will put it in your checked luggage with the weapon. All this will take extra time so arrive early and also because the TSA may wish to do a separate inspection. I have a Glock and the plastic container that it came in does not lock so I simply took the cable lock that came with it and wrapped it around the handles of the case and locked it so that it could not be opened. Make sure you have the key handy because they will want you to open it during inspection at the counter and again if the TSA wished to inspect.

    My experience has been uneventful and no one has gasped at the mention of a weapon nor did I get lectured. Be confident...it is your 2A right to possess and the airlines have procedures for transporting so no use in getting nervous. Enjoy your trip to the Big Easy! I grew up 30 miles west of there.

    Oh, if you are approached by someone (most of the time young kids) while walking in the French Quarter, and they want to bet you they know where you got your shoes...simply smile and say "I don't bet" and keep walking. It is a trick that you might pay dearly for. The same goes for any other type of bet you are approached with. Also, keep your wallet in your FRONT pocket unless your wallet pocket zips or buttons.

    Excellent advice,, thanks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Second Amendment T-Shirts

    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ - Go Greek. Lifetime member Kappa Kappa Bang (KKB) Fraternity

  12. #12
    New Member Array Boudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    inside
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Is a business considered "private property" as far as this is concerned?
    No, a business may deny your right by posting in accordance with the law otherwise you're good to go. What Yoda is referring to is the need to get a HOME owners permission before carrying into their residence, which I think is a misdemenior charge. If your concerned.
    NRA Life Member
    "can't find a cool or witty quote to put here" - Boudreaux

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,782
    Everyone must check the state laws regarding concealed carry where they will be traveling. I only mentioned private property (residential; i.e., u must ask permission before carrying in somebody's house) and places of worship because they were significant for me, there may be other restrictions that are more significant for you.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array ZX9RCAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Posts
    922
    Thanks...
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

    -Will Rogers

    Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

  15. #15
    Member Array dwsonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lockport, LA
    Posts
    16
    The wife and I go to New Orleans quite a bit. I always take mine. Lately there have been a lot of shootings. Seems to be thug vs. thug, but still want to be ready.
    Stick to the main areas, don't go wandering to areas you don't know about, you'll be fine.
    No carry in bars, casinos, schools, churches, government buildings(Insectarium is a gov building). WWII museum is OK.
    When are you coming?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ccw new orleans
,
conceal carry in super dome
,

conceal carry in superdome?

,

conceal carry new orleans

,
concealed carry at new orleans parade
,

concealed carry in new orleans

,

concealed carry laws new orleans

,

concealed carry new orleans

,

new orleans ccw

,

new orleans concealed carry

,

new orleans concealed carry law

,

off duty carry in super dome

Click on a term to search for related topics.