This is NOT why we carry.

This is a discussion on This is NOT why we carry. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We don't carry to get the first open pump. We don't carry because we are afraid someone will follow us. We don't carry to win ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: This is NOT why we carry.

This is NOT why we carry.

We don't carry to get the first open pump.
    We don't carry because we are afraid someone will follow us.
    We don't carry to win fights over petty stuff...

This guy thought different, he faces a jury. He may not have had a permit... (two gun charges) and maybe that's the difference between him and somebody who's gone through all the legal motions to get a permit they usually seem to know better...

Here's the story
    mano3 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Reminds me of a older woman who was in my first CHL class. The instructor asked all of us why were we getting our concealed permits. She replied because of her yard gnomes. The instructor looking rather astonished probed further -- your yard gnomes? Yes, she said -- "after I finish this class i'm gonna kill those little &%@#$^%&% that keep stealing my yard gnomes"!! She then said "I'll hunt them down if I have to"

She is the only person I have ever witnessed be kicked out of a CHL class.
    joker1, TN_Mike and JerryMac like this.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Reminds me of a older woman who was in my first CHL class. The instructor asked all of us why were we getting our concealed permits. She replied because of her yard gnomes. The instructor looking rather astonished probed further -- your yard gnomes? Yes, she said -- "after I finish this class i'm gonna kill those little &%@#$^%&% that keep stealing my yard gnomes"!! She then said "I'll hunt them down if I have to"

I'm surprised she didn't wanna kill the Yard Gnomes... and surprised she was kicked out of Texas CHL class...

Texas Laws I've heard of...

"Stand Your Ground or Make My Day"
    "Castle Doctrine or Interlopers Will Be Shot"
    And "He Needed Killin'"

J/K of course... Glad to know some instructors in TX are willing to sort the wheat from the chaff.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Stupid all the way around. Pride makes for mistakes. I have been in similar scenarios, minus fight and gunshot, and have walked away mad as bell, but walked away alive and not under arrest. Part of me hopes he didn't have a permit as he is great for the antis.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post

That's funny!

As far as the news story goes, what a moron! While I hope he doesn't get convicted for attempted murder, I do hope they throw the book at him for the other stuff.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I vote that he loses his gun, gun PRIVILEGES, and gets pistol-whipped daily for being stupid.

But, seriously, he needs to lose- I think- both licenses, and probably the right to own a handgun. Harsh, but definitely no more than deserved- especially if he didn't have a permit.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    A couple of million mummers had to be ejected when they produced live ammo as the guns were being passed. They didn't get their 15 min of fame.

Watch out for some gnomes.
    Attached Images
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

What a Douche....

Before everyone jumps to judgment here... there are two potential sides. I think that the consensus is probably right, but let me play devils advocate here since all we have is one newspaper article here, not a court transcript.

1) He shot me because he didn't get his gas pump
    2) I shot him because he assaulted me and I was defending myself from grave bodily harm at the hands of someone more capable than me.

The obvious mistake here is that he shot the car... not the assailant, which indicates to those of us that know better that he wasn't in as much danger as he thought or claims.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    His actions were definitely stupid, no question about it. Without being in the court, it is difficult to say whether attempted murder would be applicable, but from the information in the article, my feeling is no. Guilty of assault and/or weapons violations, most likely yes.

In response to livewire9880's comments: this is along the lines of what I was thinking. If he did not have a permit, he may not know that shooting to wound or deter is not acceptable. I have had discussions with my parents and they (ignorantly) believe(d) that this is a viable approach to stopping a threat while lessening the risk of killing. The reasons why it is not simply had never occurred to them. One complication that arises is, how does his being the aggressor and initiating the confrontation affect things? It would depend upon state law, of course, but is he able to claim a right to self defense and if so under what conditions? For example, did he attempt to break off the confrontation and retreat and was he pursued further?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    His actions were definitely stupid, no question about it. Without being in the court, it is difficult to say whether attempted murder would be applicable, but from the information in the article, my feeling is no. Guilty of assault and/or weapons violations, most likely yes.

In response to livewire9880's comments: this is along the lines of what I was thinking. If he did not have a permit, he may not know that shooting to wound or deter is not acceptable. I have had discussions with my parents and they (ignorantly) believe(d) that this is a viable approach to stopping a threat while lessening the risk of killing. The reasons why it is not simply had never occurred to them. One complication that arises is, how does his being the aggressor and initiating the confrontation affect things? It would depend upon state law, of course, but is he able to claim a right to self defense and if so under what conditions? For example, did he attempt to break off the confrontation and retreat and was he pursued further?
    People who don't have any education on firearms or self-defense law generally think that 'shoot to wound' or 'warning shot' is an acceptable method of firearm defense.
    9MMare likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    What a Douche....
    Well said

Remember .. discharging a firearm IS THE USE OF DEADLY FORCE! ALWAYS!.

Not sure why there are two handgun charges. You can carry in a compartment within your personal vehicle without a permit in VA. Shouldnt be any concealed charges there unless video shows him retrieve it from under his seat

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Not sure why there are two handgun charges. You can carry in a compartment within your personal vehicle without a permit in VA. Shouldnt be any concealed charges there unless video shows him retrieve it from under his seat
    Because he was in MARYLAND. Germantown is in Maryland, home of the absurd gun laws. He is a Virginia resident, but crossed the state line, apparently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links