Positive LEO encounter

Positive LEO encounter

This is a discussion on Positive LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a rural area on a former dairy farm. I have a barn on my property and it is not practical to lock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Positive LEO encounter

Positive LEO encounter

I live in a rural area on a former dairy farm. I have a barn on my property and it is not practical to lock it. Recently we had a few items stolen and I made a police report.

When the officer arrived I explained that I knew nothing could be done to return my property, but I wanted to file a report in case it would help. The officer was polite and I listed the items that were missing (2 gas full gas cans, some camping equipment, etc).

I'm never sure how LEO will respond to the topic of concealed carry, but as we were finishing up I mentioned that I have a CCW and... He cut me off in mid sentence and said "then you should ALWAYS have your firearm with you while you are on your property, NO exceptions". He was very forceful in making this statement. He proceeded to tell me that in times past the suburbs were considered more dangerous than the country, but now that has changed. He looked around and said " you are all alone out here, and our station is 20 minutes away. We might be nearby, or we migh be tied up and you won't see us for nearly an hour, the criminals know that"

So then I asked him how an officer would feel if he arrived at my house and found me holding a thief at gun point. (the problem in my mind is that this is not technically grounds for lethal force). The officer pointed to my house, my land, and my barn and replied that all this was my property and my kingdom. He said that I had the right and the obligation to protect it. Then he paused and said "now if we show up and you've shot someone in the back you've got trouble, but if you are holding him at gun point when we arrive you need to tell us that you were afraid for your life, you didn't know what was in his pockets, you were afraid he was going to head for the house where your wife and children were, and that he acted like we was about to make a quick move". I remember this last part vividly and it seared in my mind. He was giving me a script of what to say.

I hope I never find myself in that situation, but if I do I hope that is the officer that arrives at my house.
    Buckj, rstanek and Spade115 like this.

Good for you! We need more LEO's like this. More to make sure that the law biding CC citizens are taken care of.

+1
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Good. A caring and understanding LEO. He understands realities.

Sorry about your theft, but excellent out come just in advice alone.. Sounded like he is definitely pro chl...

I love it when LEO's know who the good guys are and then treat you like one.

Sounds like me when I was active LEO, this didn't happen 40 years ago did it?
    Naufragia likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Good advice from a good LEO. Motion detection cameras and lights can show lots of interesting stuff. For argument's sake. If a BG held at gunpoint takes off running, is he still a threat?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Motion detection cameras and lights can show lots of interesting stuff.
    I agree. Some of those solar powered spotlights are pretty powerful.

If a BG held at gunpoint takes off running, is he still a threat?
    I'd say, No - unless he was running toward my home or a family member. Simply running away? Let him go, imo.

Awesome cop, by the way.

If you've never tried to hold a criminal at gun point,much less a crook under the influence of Narcotics you will be surprised.At first they may comply,but then they start trying to think a way out of this situation,Drug Addicts that are tweaking don't think rationally,at some point he may convince himself you won't shoot and get up and run away.But what if theres 2 or 3 and they start trying to work around to where if you shoot one,the other 2 can get to you before you can react,remember the 21 foot rule they may be armed with knives.Keep your distance,and be prepared to shoot if you feel threatened
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Good encounter and great LEO. I wish we had more like him/her.

Amen and thanks for sharing.

I've had both good and bad encounters, but more good than bad.

Too many forums paint cops as the bad guys. For the most part these guys and gals do a tough, dangerous and frustrating job and deserve respect.

Aaron

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If you've never tried to hold a criminal at gun point,much less a crook under the influence of Narcotics you will be surprised.At first they may comply,but then they start trying to think a way out of this situation,Drug Addicts that are tweaking don't think rationally,at some point he may convince himself you won't shoot and get up and run away.But what if theres 2 or 3 and they start trying to work around to where if you shoot one,the other 2 can get to you before you can react,remember the 21 foot rule they may be armed with knives.Keep your distance,and be prepared to shoot if you feel threatened
    well put

the longer you have a gun out, the harder it is to put it away...

from 'their' POV, if you have not shot them straight away--time is on their side as you may make a mistake, get distracted/startled; meanwhile slowly they maneuver
    until you can no longer cover all 3, infact...you have a gun and are surrounded.

sometimes we must put aside the notion of right and wrong and let the nogoodniks run.
    it is also much less expensive ( $wise and mentally) letting them leave--with a nice warning, rather than ventilating them.

---and how the LEO spoke is very true

along with response time is the habit of carrying, and than choosing to sometimes not carry may yield a situation where some peoples are about you, and you are handling yourself on a subconscious level as if you are armed and should it come down to your actually needing it...and you do not have it;
    it could well be the last mistake you ever make.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Sounds like SIXTO is giving out good advice again.
    oneshot likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sounds like SIXTO is giving out good advice again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Thats just what I was thinking^^^^^^^^^^^^

Was Sixto lost down south for the day or what?????
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    well put

the longer you have a gun out, the harder it is to put it away...

from 'their' POV, if you have not shot them straight away--time is on their side as you may make a mistake, get distracted/startled; meanwhile slowly they maneuver
    until you can no longer cover all 3, infact...you have a gun and are surrounded.

sometimes we must put aside the notion of right and wrong and let the nogoodniks run.
    it is also much less expensive ( $wise and mentally) letting them leave--with a nice warning, rather than ventilating them.

---and how the LEO spoke is very true

along with response time is the habit of carrying, and than choosing to sometimes not carry may yield a situation where some peoples are about you, and you are handling yourself on a subconscious level as if you are armed and should it come down to your actually needing it...and you do not have it;
    it could well be the last mistake you ever make.

AMEN to that. we need to be used to carrying and have proper training time with our edc's. "better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it right?"

My LEO uncle tells me in MA, it's a completely different story because the law's are sort of against us (lethal force situations) but i guess it depends on the LEO and the Judge.
    NRA MEMBER // GOALS MEMBER
    Ruger SR9c
    S&W M&P15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links