Buffalo Wild Wings = anti concealed carry - Page 5

Buffalo Wild Wings = anti concealed carry

This is a discussion on Buffalo Wild Wings = anti concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Haywood Their food is not that good, their prices aren't that good and their cooks are slow. I never liked that place ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Buffalo Wild Wings = anti concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Their food is not that good, their prices aren't that good and their cooks are slow. I never liked that place
    I figured it out, the hot wings and beer burn and mess your taste buds up to heck, so u cant even taste it!
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    Thanks for the update. I will spend my money elsewhere. Bdubs is not that great anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by echo6tango View Post
    This may be old news to many of you, but I wanted to share this communication regarding Buffalo Wild Wings' corporate policy prohibiting legal concealed carry within their establishments.
    Seriously Speaking: BWW is a Sports bar(the wings let it pretend to be a restaurant), selling alcohol to people who are there to get drunk and fired up over football. I can't think of many settings less appropriate for CC than that. They operate in many states and as such can't afford to have case by case policy.
    MadMac likes this.

I adore buffalo hot wings! However they are too messy to eat in public so I either make them at home or get them to go.

You cant really enjoy them if you have to be neat!

Sorry, off-topic there. Because of the above, I've never gone to these restaurants here. In WA St. such signs dont carry the wt of the law tho. But I think it would be really difficult to draw quickly with hands smeared with buffalo sauce.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    When I am talking to a business owner I also add that they are not only liable if I am hurt or killed in their business but also on the walk to and from my car. In the case of some places if you park on the street it may be several blocks, and parking lots are usually less than safe at night. This is the current interpretation of the new WI law, of course it has not gone to trial yet so the only interpretation that matters has yet to be given.
    Is this really the current interpretation of the law? According tho what authority? Has the state printed this for the new laws?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by dwebs262 View Post
    That is odd, I have been in the BWW in Oshkosh several times and I have never noticed a sign. What city was this in? In fact it was the first place I went to eat while carrying and I
    freaked for a minute because I forgot to look for a sign and had to go back outside and check for it. In fact the only 2 places I have come across that have a sign banning weapons is Politos Pizza, and Bergstrom car dealerships.
    I did notice a tiny no weapons sign [not legal] at Fox River Mall posted on the 2 outer most doors in a row of 6, which made me wonder if I buy a gun at Scheels do I get arrested before I leave the store or do they wait until I walk into the mall?
    Quote Originally Posted by echo6tango View Post
    It was Pewaukee.
    I havent seen any other BWW's posted no firearms up here in the Appleton area, maybe I missed something, but I make it a habit to look for the signs. Maybe its the proximity to Illinois?

Quote Originally Posted by dwebs262 View Post
    I havent seen any other BWW's posted no firearms up here in the Appleton area, maybe I missed something, but I make it a habit to look for the signs.
    Its their corporate policy.... That being said signs are probably being handled, considering ccw just passed
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

BWW is basically a chain sports bar. If you're carrying, you shouldn't be drinking, so you are not their target demographic, and then this post is irrelevant. The corporate lawyers make the policies, and local managers obey them.

BBW makes the bulk of their money from groups of after-work revelers, sports fans, and guys'/girls' night out folks who come in with a group and spend four of five hours noshing on wings/bar food and sucking down several brews each. If you, your ccw, and your wife come in and sit at a table, order the 20-piece wing plate (extra mild), each have a tall water (with lemon and ice), and demand extra napkins, they aren't making any money. Even a solid 18-20% tip on that order isn't worth the wait staff's time and effort. The manager isn't at home crying because you won't be back, and they won't be putting up the Going Out of Business sign because of you and the people on this board.

You're not the customers they are targeting, so telling them you're going to take your hard-earned eleven dollars and eighty-five cents to some other joint is just fine with them.

/just sayin'...

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    When I am talking to a business owner I also add that they are not only liable if I am hurt or killed in their business but also on the walk to and from my car.
    Do you have a link to any sources that prove this as law? I'd like to say something like this when I find places that have a sign up also.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

When I get a "like" from Harryball, I get up from my desk and do a little dance.

It's NOW time to start the weekend. I'm taking the rest of the day off for that one. I hear my beer a-callin' my name....

We have two in Wichita, one is not posted and I hear that the other one is posted. I know which one we go to for $.50 wings at lunch.

VIP Member
    When I am talking to a business owner I also add that they are not only liable if I am hurt or killed in their business but also on the walk to and from my car. In the case of some places if you park on the street it may be several blocks, and parking lots are usually less than safe at night. This is the current interpretation of the new WI law, of course it has not gone to trial yet so the only interpretation that matters has yet to be given.
    Huh? That's not my read. An immunity grant for an act (or failure to act) does not necessarily imply liability for failure to act (or an act, respectively). I'm interested in learning more about the current interpretation. Do you have a link?

(yeah, I'm a lawyer, but I aint a badger state lawyer, and this ain't legal advice)

There has not yet been a case to allow for a binding interpretation of the new law. The statement says you cannot be held liable for injury or death in your business if allow people to defend themselves. I was at a chamber meeting where 2 lawyers said the clear wording on how to avoid liability opens the door for businesses to post to be sued if they post. By extension since you must disarm in the car as long as you are going directly from your vehicle to the business and something happens the reason you cannot defend yourself is that the posted business forced you too disarm. The full law is on the WI DOJ website along with the condensed FAQ.

No the law does not state that you will be liable. I am not an attorney but am basing this on a lecture from 2 right after the law passed. Until there is case law to in place to clarify I don't think we will know for sure the final interpretation.

There has not yet been a case to allow for a binding interpretation of the new law. The statement says you cannot be held liable for injury or death in your business if allow people to defend themselves. I was at a chamber meeting where 2 lawyers said the clear wording on how to avoid liability opens the door for businesses to post to be sued if they post. By extension since you must disarm in the car as long as you are going directly from your vehicle to the business and something happens the reason you cannot defend yourself is that the posted business forced you too disarm. The full law is on the WI DOJ website along with the condensed FAQ.

No the law does not state that you will be liable. I am not an attorney but am basing this on a lecture from 2 right after the law passed. Until there is case law to in place to clarify I don't think we will know for sure the final interpretation.
    Pending the circumstance sounds like you could have a heck of a strong civil case.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

VIP Member

That's a heck of a chain of foreseeable risk and causation. I don't think it's a foreseeable risk that you will be robbed when you are walking from your car to your favorite wings joint. Yeah, it may happen, just like you may have a stroke. And even if it were a risk, would causation really fall on the wings joint? The patron would also have some liability for going out and choosing to disarm. After all, the formerly gun-totin' wings patron left his gun in the car voluntarily.

I just don't seek how a private enterprise exercising its right to not have armed patrons thereby opens itself up for civil liability if the patrons are robbed or injured after they choose to disarm so they can buy a plate of wings (unless the wings are dang good wings).
    ks kid likes this.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links