Physical readiness

This is a discussion on Physical readiness within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes physical training is important but as Hiram25 pointed out age takes its toll. Hence the old saying....."don't mess with old men, they will just ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Physical readiness

Yes physical training is important but as Hiram25 pointed out age takes its toll. Hence the old saying....."don't mess with old men, they will just shoot you."
    .45acpguy likes this.
    (2Co 11:3 KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    Yes physical training is important but as Hiram25 pointed out age takes its toll. Hence the old saying....."don't mess with old men, they will just shoot you."
    The message is starting to get out there.. Don't mess with anyone, they be armed!!! We have a couple we go out to dinner with quite a bit and they don't carry but sometimes are sure glad I do!

IMO............physical conditioning is very important irriguardless of being armed or not.
    Even in an armed confrontation you may have to seek cover ASAP..........getting there safely may require speed and agility no matter what your age is.

Through the years, from high school, through military, and after military retirement, I took great pride in my conditioning and physical appearance. At the age of 39, as a First Sergeant, I led my people in physical conditioning and did NOT stand to the side observing. It was up to ME to set the standards and be an example, otherwise how could I earn their respect. After retirement, I continued to participate in city league sports, was an official in football and basketball and felt that I was in as good condition as anyone in my age group. THEN, the big 60...it's like the body stands up and says "WHOA Big Boy, time to give me a break". Although I still attempt to maintain a decent physical profile, health issues, worn out joints, etc have come into play. Sooo, my training now is with my EDC, mentally, and tactically inorder to insure I have the best opportunity to best an opponent. I may not do a six minute mile anymore, but I think my developed skills will overcome most physical shortcomings. Just sayin, everyone can't be the physical speciman they might want to be, but they can prepare in other ways to achieve survival. JMO
    TN_Mike and OldVet like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

First Sgt- I can undertand the body not wanting to take it anylonger. I have had 6 knee operations and 2 on my right shoulder plus 27 broken bones in my short time all ready. My body aches every day but winter brings out the worst in it!

Distinguished Member
    I think regular physical activity is key to longevity. It can be key to other successes as one improves understanding of the activity. Apples to apples, if there is strenuous activity, I would rather train in MA than a gym. Random forces are healthier than repetitive forces. Rather than some part-time cute twenty-something, a MA trainer has some personal stake in seeing students healthy and succeeding in their system and has more focussed training and believes in his product not as the monthly or quarterly special to take students' money. More importantly, a MA trainer is able to articulate scenarios and to translate drills for certain situations. And one comitted trip knocks out physical training and self defense. Great if you can get a good trainer on your schedule and budget.

Some supplement their MA with gym to bulk up to make their MA more effective. I just take another MA class. Concentrate on floor stretches and bodyweight exercises.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    irriguardless
    seriously?
    Chad Rogers and Mattmann like this.

Getting Old...

I've been reading the thread with interest.

Us Old Farts know what it is like to have ankles, knees, hips deteriorate with age and various maladies like arthritis. Add the after effects of disease and forced inactivity resulting from injury, and muscle atrophy becomes a new, but unwanted, constant companion.

I remember vowing that I was going to stay active and in shape for as long as I could walk, but 3 years in Viet Nam, plus the occasional spritz with Agent Orange changed the plans for a lot of us.

Now, my situational awareness is keener than ever. Every time I get out of the car at the mall or the grocery store, I'm planning my reaction to an unforeseen threat...and I mean every time. Reacting with physical force against a BG and expecting a successful outcome is completely out of the question. I spend as much time on the range as possible, and spend as much money as I can afford to stay proficient with my firearms.

Like Yogi Berra said, "The future ain't what it used to be!"

Stay Alert and Stay Safe!
    Pistology, First Sgt and OldVet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Many people here shoot often and some train with their weapons of choice for home protection and CCW, be it gun and/or edged weapons. But I also know many don't do any sort of physical conditioning/weight training or self defensive training. I would venture many people here and in general have never had to defend themselves in a fight as an adult and would not be ready if the time came.

How important do you feel physical fitness and preparedness is as part of your overall training and readiness? Especially as we get older.
    I think it is very important. I still try to work out pretty regularly. Not as successful at it as i was when we lived in TN but I'm working on changing that. I can tell you that it became very clear to me when I went from 325 pounds to about 160 or so that being in good shape makes everything easier. Carrying became so much easier. I know I could handle myself much better hand to hand if I needed to as well. I'm not at my peak like I was in 2008/2009 but I'm nowhere near where I was when I was a big fat slob. I'll never go back to that again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Have lost 60 lbs since late Aug. Work out 5-6 times a week. Walking most days, lifting a couple days, and running,nor playing one day a week. I wore a 34" waist when I graduated from HS almost 40 years ago. Last week I bought a pair of 33s.

Check out Mark's Daily Apple.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Just sayin, everyone can't be the physical speciman they might want to be, but they can prepare in other ways to achieve survival. JMO
    Well said Sir.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Have lost 60 lbs since late Aug. Work out 5-6 times a week. Walking most days, lifting a couple days, and running,nor playing one day a week. I wore a 34" waist when I graduated from HS almost 40 years ago. Last week I bought a pair of 33s.
    That's something to be proud of, great job!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I believe physical readiness is important but I also believe that most people that find themselves in the fight of their lives are quite capable of performing well physically for short period of time. Adrenalin, and pure human instinct kicks in for most and people would bw surprises at how strong or aggressive one can be.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alien319 View Post
    I believe physical readiness is important but I also believe that most people that find themselves in the fight of their lives are quite capable of performing well physically for short period of time. Adrenalin, and pure human instinct kicks in for most and people would bw surprises at how strong or aggressive one can be.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Not uncommon for out of shape police officers to have a heart attack when they are called upon to "perform well for a short period of time." Not uncommon at all...

For the members using age and deteriorating joints as a reason for not staying fit, I suggest looking into swimming or other water based activity. A pool provides zero impact activity with natural resistance. I used to lifeguard and be a water safety instructor. You would be amazed at how much intense activity older people, upwards of 90, would be capable of. Sure, they would move slowly and have difficulty getting around on land, but they were able to stay in good cardiovascular and muscular shape. Something that may make or break a physical encounter.......
    Mattmann likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links