Physical readiness

This is a discussion on Physical readiness within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have the room, a home gym is a great option. No more excuses about the weather being bad, or I don't have the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Physical readiness

If you have the room, a home gym is a great option. No more excuses about the weather being bad, or I don't have the time to get to the gym. We started with a simple home gym and tread mill in my Man cave. It has expanded to about 300 sq ft over time. We figure if you are sitting down watching TV and you look to your left and see the equipment, you might as well be working out.
    Plus, NH in the winter is tough to bike or run.
    I helped my friend start his home gym and it takes up about 100 sq ft. (Sole treadmill, Powerline multi machine, vertical knee raise/chin up/dip apparatus, work out bench with plates and bar, and adjustable dumbells). But a good treadmill and vertical knee raise/chin up/dip apparatus is more than enough to start.
    Betcha if you use 10 percent of your ammo money you can get a good start, and like folks said, being in shape is part of a Self Defense strategy.

2. Remove Ads

I have been giving a lot of thought to this recently and was considering posting a similar thread. I do at least 150-250 push ups every day and have been working on sit ups as well. I do various cardio also. I believe your ability to survive an encounter with a BG could depend largely on your fitness level. To me basic fitness training is as important as hitting the range.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Even if your fitness level just allows you to weather the storm of incoming blows until your opponent himself "gasses out" because his fitness level also sucks, and what were once vicious blows are now half ass ones, is a good place to be.

Same can be said for balance. Just being able to stay on your feet could be what saves your life.
    Last edited by Chad Rogers; January 21st, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

I pretty much agree with everything on here. My main objective to carrying is to not be a victim and to protect my family.....hard to do so when your dead from a heart attack or stroke!

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Have lost 60 lbs since late Aug. Work out 5-6 times a week. Walking most days, lifting a couple days, and running,nor playing one day a week. I wore a 34" waist when I graduated from HS almost 40 years ago. Last week I bought a pair of 33s.

Check out Mark's Daily Apple.
    In august I was in 38s now I am in 33s as well and that is with my g22 IWB.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Rule #1 of Zombieland: Cardio.

Ok, somebody HAD to say it!!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_volk View Post
    For the members using age and deteriorating joints as a reason for not staying fit, I suggest looking into swimming or other water based activity. A pool provides zero impact activity with natural resistance. I used to lifeguard and be a water safety instructor. You would be amazed at how much intense activity older people, upwards of 90, would be capable of. Sure, they would move slowly and have difficulty getting around on land, but they were able to stay in good cardiovascular and muscular shape. Something that may make or break a physical encounter.......
    At age 60, with both knees absolutely shot, I did take up swiming to attempt to maintain some decent level of fitness. Now the rotator cuff is shot in one shoulder and the other just plain hurts. Like many of the younger folks with all the advice to stay fit forever, I, too, thought it would never happen to me, all I had to do was kep up my daily runs, etc., but it has. Except for a rare few, age will catch up to you no matter how hard you try to avoid it. SO before you make comments about keeping in shape or "all you need to do is," Wait a few years and then try running our shoes.
    GreyGhost and jrclen like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Basic tread mills can be had cheap a lot of good almost new used one out there if you look around. I had always joked when I left the Army no more PT.
    But I have kept it up. That is why I am awke at 0430. But it works for me at 58 still run 2 miles in under 14 minutes. Doc say to keep doing what I am doing.
    What ever it is you do, do some thing get up move around.
    Today it is 10 degrees out side and roads covered in snow and ice on the tread mill my run will be warm and dry and when I am done all I have to do is step off and be right at home.
    Age may catch up with me...but it going to be a hard chase for it. Equipment is cheap the hard part part is getting at it

You missed the "or other water based activity" part. There are dozens of exercises that are specifically designed for elderly and those recovering from injuries. I'm not saying it's for everyone, just that there are options. Traditional swimming often requires a range of motion that isn't feasible for some. I can't run regularly because the impact causes extreme knee pain. I just work around it doing other stuff.

Each of us has different abilities and handicaps. Some have a higher pain tolerance than others. I'm reasonably sure that most do as much as they can.

Old injuries and arthritis have taken quite a toll on me. Both knees are bad. I've been taking glucosomine / chondroitin tablets for about a year. They've been a big help. I still can't run or ride a bike but I can walk without pain. My hands are weaker than in my youth but I use a squeeze exerciser most days to help keep them as limber and strong as possible. I still work as a truck driver and do a lot of lifting, bending , and stretching each day. I refuse to give up.

As far as defending myself in a hand to hand struggle with somebody else? It's not gonna be a fair fight. I'm gonna let ugly out of it's cage. My intent will be to end it as quickly as possible with as much serious damage to my opponent as possible. And there ain't no rules.
    OldVet and Hoganbeg like this.
    Question Everything!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I like this guy's view on what you need for a home gym:

The Home Gym Basics Paladin Security Strategies
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I believe fitness is very important for self-defense. A classic example. When myself and some crewmembers from my ship and other commands got sent to Blackwater to do a combat shooting course, each had to do a 100 yd. dash prior to starting the course to raise their heartbeat in order to simulate adrenaline and then shoot while the hearbeat is raised. Guess what? Half of the students failed the course and got sent back since they could not control their breathing, which affected their marksmanship. And, some also lacked cardiovascular coniditoning. Because of my excellent conditioning as well as my controlled breathing learned from my previous martial arts training, I was able to continue the course and pass it being second place overall in the class. And, after each demanding practice session each day, I still worked out afterwards. So this goes to show why conditioning is very important. The more one is conditioned, the better one's chances of survival. And your fit appearance too can make you a deterrent for the would be attacker.

At the age of 52 I found myself very out of shape and sick. I had a lot of things wrong and all caused by poor lifestyle. There was no way I could have gone hard in a fight for more the 20 seconds, and I'm not kidding. I'm 57 now, 60 pounds lighter and all the debilitating issues I had are gone. I'm not a good runner, but I did 4 five Ks this last summer and I hit the gym 3 times a week. In fact, the gym has become our, sort of, country club. We have quite a social life around our gym buddies. Now, if put into a fight, I would give even the most fit BG a good run. I could probably outlast all but the most athletic opponent.

Get fit, throw in some martial arts training (you don't need to be a black belt) and you can give yourself a real 'fighting chance'.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Smitty.....a Health Rider. dats cool

even if your escape plan centers around "run away"
    ua still need your carido
    -----------------

first are smiles; than come lies...
    last is gunfire
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Currently This Is What I Have At Home For Functional Fitness Eqpt.:
    -portable pullup bar
    -Bowflex "Blaze" Home Gym
    -45 lb. sandbag weight
    -set of 40 lb. kettlebell weights
    -Mancino grappling mat
    -80 lb. grappling dummy
    -Century "Wavemaster" water-filled heavybag (for impact weapons strikes w/ escrima sticks and dummy guns only)
    -padded escrima sticks
    -aluminum Beretta 92 dummy replica gun
    -M-4 plastic dummy replica gun
    -Remington 870 plastic dummy replica gun
    -pushup bars
    -forearm grips
    -exercise mat
    -Century mixed martial arts gloves
    -Everlast 20 lb. medicine ball
    -Thaismai Muay Thai sparring pads

Note that I also have a yearly membership ($150) at a private mixed martial arts gym (I only use it for heavybag/double-end bag as well as the treadmill and elliptical machine). I also use a military gym at the Naval Base (free at no cost) only for cast iron barbell weight training since there are more of that than in the MMA gym.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links