Physical readiness

Physical readiness

This is a discussion on Physical readiness within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many people here shoot often and some train with their weapons of choice for home protection and CCW, be it gun and/or edged weapons. But ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Physical readiness

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

Physical readiness

Many people here shoot often and some train with their weapons of choice for home protection and CCW, be it gun and/or edged weapons. But I also know many don't do any sort of physical conditioning/weight training or self defensive training. I would venture many people here and in general have never had to defend themselves in a fight as an adult and would not be ready if the time came.

How important do you feel physical fitness and preparedness is as part of your overall training and readiness? Especially as we get older.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I think it's is very important, however, after all the training I've had both in the Military and as LEO, age has removed this as an option for me.
    OldVet, WD54241 and Mattmann like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    I think it is very important.

More so for us female members.

It's unfortunate for us but even at our best most men (even those who don't work out) are generally going to be stronger than us.

While self defense situations are very fast they can take a lot of physical strain or at least some good cardio. Running, retaining a firearm through strength or beating off an attacker to the point where you can even access your defensive tool of choice or carrying or assisting a young or wounded family member to safety all require physical fitness above the average national level.

I find it mildly ironic that so many people carry guns to defend themselves but they are overweight and out of shape.

They carry a gun to defend themselves against the one in a million chance that they might get attacked by an outside aggressor while every day their chances of a heart attack or stroke creeps closer and closer to one in one.

It makes me think those people don't REALLY care about self defense and staying safe and it's more of a "cool" thing for them because if they were serious about protecting their life they would go on a diet and start exercising.. but that's all speculation. What do I know?

I just had my second baby a month ago and am already back in the gym and working out.

Not only do I want to be strong enough to defend myself if need be but I also want to be healthy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    It's unfortunate for us but even at our best most men (even those who don't work out) are generally going to be stronger than us.
    While this can be true in a raw sense, your wits and knowledge of technique vastly outweigh just brute strength. Also if you are working out, than most of your typical thugs will have far less stamina than you so you also have the issue of time on your side. I am friends with a number of women that although small in stature, they could easily take down or out fight most average guys in a given situation. But really its comes down to improving your SA and avoiding situations like this completely. However if one does arise and you cannot avoid it, I greatly respect your sense of priority with being in shape and being prepared! Just my .02

Stay Safe!
    surefire7 likes this.

In answer to the original question, I think that it's very important especially as you get older. An individual who looks like they can take care of themself in a situation is much less likely to find themselves in a situation in the first place. Thugs prey on the elderly for a reason. You can't avoid getting older, but you can do the best you can with what you have.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I consider it more important than any type of weapons training.
    Guest1, DC, civilgORe and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I find it mildly ironic that so many people carry guns to defend themselves but they are overweight and out of shape.
    I agree. We value situational awareness to preserve our lives, but frequently disregard simple things, like being as healthy as possible (i.e. not fat) and knowing whether we are speeding when driving, that are obviously included in situational awareness.
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

VIP Member
    Good diet, exercise, MA, and firearm skill are all important, but so is mindset.

It is absurd that a person feels shame at his inability do defend himself physically, but not his inability to defend himself through speech and reasoning, particularly given the fact that the use of speech is more common than the use of physical force.
    -Aristotle, “Rhetoric”
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have done a lot of martial arts over the years, and you just can't get past how useful it is. Even a little knowledge and training can go a long way if you get in a situation.

That said, honestly the single best thing you can do to deter an attack, male or female, is to not look like an easy target. I'm not tall but I'm pretty buffed, and believe me, there is very little in this world that is more effective as a deterrent than looking like someone who might fight back. Thugs and criminals are 99.99% looking for easy victims, not potential opponents. Probably the best resource I've ever found for weight training is the 4-hour body by Tim Ferris.
    http://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Body-Un...7078279&sr=8-1

Tim's a bit of a nut (but also into defensive knives, so there's that) I think but his book is mostly about nutrition, and in terms of getting fit that's what most people don't know. He advocates something called high intensity training, which is pretty safe, effective and extremely time efficient. It's been around since the 80's or even 70's I think. It's not real popular with fitness instructors because it's hard to sell gym memberships around a system that only requires you to train twice a week. Boot camp programs like P90x can be great for some people but they take lots of time (90+ minutes 6-7 days a week) and are not good for anyone who doesn't have real strong joints. It's a lot of wear and tear, and I did it for about two months and gave it up because my elbows and shoulders were wearing out. Works great for some people though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I think it's is very important, however, after all the training I've had both in the Military and as LEO, age has removed this as an option for me.
    That's pretty much my story. I'm in pretty good shape and make efforts to stay that way but I'm not kidding myself about my chances of prevailing in a mano a mano contest with someone younger and tougher. Stealth, ambush, surprise, treachery, meanness and lack of any mercy or compassion are some of the tools in my kit that I have to rely on now.
    BkCo1, First Sgt, oneshot and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

They carry a gun to defend themselves against the one in a million chance that they might get attacked by an outside aggressor while every day their chances of a heart attack or stroke creeps closer and closer to one in one.

Not only do I want to be strong enough to defend myself if need be but I also want to be healthy enough.
    I agree with you, I am 53 now myself and while I may not be the man physical now that I was 25 years ago I still am in good shape and strong, and I work hard to keep in shape and take pride in doing so. I feel the chances of me needing to defend myself and family in a physically threatening confrontation are far greater than an armed encounter. I do believe your brain, wits and experience are your best bet to avoid, and deal with potential threats. Its really a trifecta of mind, body and training with your defensive tools.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Don't pick on this old man...I'm too old to fight, so...

Also...
    Keep the head on a swivel.
    Don't trust anyone.
    If it looks like a duck...
    Take an extensive defensive pistol course as often as possible...every year or two.
    Practice drawing from retention.
    Read: On Combat & On Killing by LTC D. Grossman...a mindset can overcome a loss of some physical abilities, IMHO
    OldVet, 21bubba and GreyGhost like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Many people here shoot often and some train with their weapons of choice for home protection and CCW, be it gun and/or edged weapons. But I also know many don't do any sort of physical conditioning/weight training or self defensive training. I would venture many people here and in general have never had to defend themselves in a fight as an adult and would not be ready if the time came. How important do you feel physical fitness and preparedness is as part of your overall training and readiness? Especially as we get older.
    Yes, I have and faired well, but at 60 and knees so bad I can barely walk, "fitness" isn't in the picture any longer. It makes a threat of death or serious bodily harm all the more realistic. That's why I gave up being "tough" during my youth and concentrated on personal protection.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I agree with you, I am 53 now myself and while I may not be the man physical now that I was 25 years ago I still am in good shape and strong, and I work hard to keep in shape and take pride in doing so. I feel the chances of me needing to defend myself and family in a physically threatening confrontation are far greater than an armed encounter. I do believe your brain, wits and experience are your best bet to avoid, and deal with potential threats. Its really a trifecta of mind, body and training with your defensive tools.
    So did I until I hit 55 and the knees went and any hope keeping "fit and trim" went bye-bye.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I know for a fact I need to work on my physical conditioning.. I'm only 34 and very out of shape. I grew up racing motorycles and retired from that about 4 years ago. I am 5' 11" and then was about 165lbs.. now I'm about 210 and out of shape, get winded easily. My kids still race motocross and we have a track in our backyard. I struggle to do 3 laps before I'm too tired. This is all starting to change now.. Started on P90X and taking the Body by Vi to loose a few pounds and get in shape.

I think everyone needs to make sure they get in shape because when a situation arises you would sure hate to get killed just because you were not in shape!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links