End to Concealed Permits Considered in SD

This is a discussion on End to Concealed Permits Considered in SD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this interesting: End To Concealed Gun Permits Considered - KELOLAND.com | Sioux Falls News & Weather, South Dakota News & Weather, Minnesota and Iowa ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bullet1234

Thread: End to Concealed Permits Considered in SD

Found this interesting:

End To Concealed Gun Permits Considered - KELOLAND.com | Sioux Falls News & Weather, South Dakota News & Weather, Minnesota and Iowa News

Currently in South Dakota they pay $10 and get a permit, no classes required.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks_178 View Post
    Found this interesting:

End To Concealed Gun Permits Considered - KELOLAND.com | Sioux Falls News & Weather, South Dakota News & Weather, Minnesota and Iowa News

Currently in South Dakota they pay $10 and get a permit, no classes required.
    Actually the bill leaves in place the permit system for reciprocity purposes just like AZ, AK, and WY.

Stay safe
    Maine CCP
    New Hampshire CCL
    Massachusetts CCL
    Wisconsin CCL

Scared me for a moment when I saw the title. I thought it meant people would no longer be able to carry in SD. After reading I see that they would be going towards a constitutional carry system.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Good for SD, and like some others almost had a heart attack. Lol sounded like a backwards movement for CC at first.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Great for SD,,,,,, I have ALWAYS thought it is
    ridiculous to have to BUY your right to carry a
    gun,,,, constitution already gives that right why
    PAY FOR THE RIGHT AGAIN our fore fathers already
    PAID.
    TN_Mike, pfries and WD54241 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    We can only hope that more states start considering going in this direction, but I doubt that, because a system does pull in some revenue, if even a small amount.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Go, SD, go!!!!

Update: Didn't get out of hearing.

Kind of sad people would resort to threats over this. South Dakota is easy to get a permit unlike some other states.

Too bad they're going to hide this bill...I'd see no problem with this passing.
    Doesn't effect criminals either way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    Great for SD,,,,,, I have ALWAYS thought it is
    ridiculous to have to BUY your right to carry a
    gun,,,, constitution already gives that right why
    PAY FOR THE RIGHT AGAIN our fore fathers already
    PAID.
    Exactly. We should not need a permit to exercise a right! Especially one that is specifically enumerated int eh Constitution!

As I have said before, the older I get, the less my permit to carry is a badge of honor and more of a thorn in my side. This is exactly what I am referring to.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I was born and raised in the town of the worlds only corn palace and I love my home state
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Funny that SD Gun Owners allegedly made threats to garner support, but they've never posted anything about this bill on their site.

Oh well, there's other things I'd rather see get done by our legislature - a clear Castle doctrine would be nice. Campus carry as well.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

WOW... the way you headlined that .... I was not thinking in the direction the story actually goes. Good deal. We're hoping we get there at some point as well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by yanks_178 View Post
    Update: Didn't get out of hearing.

Kind of sad people would resort to threats over this. South Dakota is easy to get a permit unlike some other states.
    What does "Judiciary Deferred to the 41st legislative day" mean in SD Legislative parlance?

Edit: never mind...I found it.

Since the South Dakota Legislature has only 40 legislative days, this means the bill is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Too bad they're going to hide this bill...I'd see no problem with this passing.
    Doesn't effect criminals either way.
    True, criminals are hardly ever affected by laws, till they're caught and convicted of breaking them.

But, I think this bill could have some unintended consequences
    FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to provide for exceptions from certain misdemeanor offenses relating to possession of handguns.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
    Section 1. The provisions of 22-14-9, 22-14-9.1, 22-14-9.2 and 22-14-10 do not apply to any person who is otherwise in compliance with all other statutes of this state relative to the possession or use of handguns, pistols, and revolvers.
    First, by its title and the way it's worded, it seems the sponsors were trying to sneak full Constitutional Carry in under the radar. More importantly, it sets up a conflict in where one can carry with a permit and without, the without actually being less restrictive under the provisions of state law. With a permit, one cannot carry in a place that derives over half its income from on-premise alcohol sales. No such restriction would exist for one carrying without a permit. On the other hand, the permit does get one out from under the Federal GFSZA.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Sponsored Links