Shocking comment from my dad the other day - Page 2

Shocking comment from my dad the other day

This is a discussion on Shocking comment from my dad the other day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My pops is Chief of police. He encouraged me to get my permit. We don't really talk about EDC but we both do. Him of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Shocking comment from my dad the other day

My pops is Chief of police. He encouraged me to get my permit. We don't really talk about EDC but we both do. Him of course on duty and off. I grew up in a household where his duty weapon and his baby glock were usually on the kitchen counter where he would set them with his utility belt after getting off duty. He had me start shooting when I was 5 and I have been hooked every since. I digress though, to the topic at hand I agree with a few of the other guys. I keep it to myself that I carry. I have one buddy, my mother and my soon to be wife that know. She told her mother which kinda bugged me but her mother liked me more after she was told as she knew I'd take care of her baby girl.

Even though my father and I don't talk about EDC we still go to the range. Run drills and train together for any situation we might encounter.

I wish I grew up with more pro gun parents, by the time I was born my dad got rid of all his firearms, he never has gotten into great detail about what he had but I believe one of them was a Winchester Model 70, or whatever their traditional bolt action long rifle is, had a couple 22's and so on. All my obsession with guns is my own thing. I'd probably have been in it a lot younger if I had grown up around it. My wife was that way, her dad was an Air Force Officer and around guns her whole childhood, learned the do's and don't the day she could walk pretty much. It wasn't uncommon for a pistol to be in plain sight for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie308 View Post
    My pops is Chief of police. He encouraged me to get my permit. We don't really talk about EDC but we both do. Him of course on duty and off. I grew up in a household where his duty weapon and his baby glock were usually on the kitchen counter where he would set them with his utility belt after getting off duty. He had me start shooting when I was 5 and I have been hooked every since. I digress though, to the topic at hand I agree with a few of the other guys. I keep it to myself that I carry. I have one buddy, my mother and my soon to be wife that know. She told her mother which kinda bugged me but her mother liked me more after she was told as she knew I'd take care of her baby girl.

Even though my father and I don't talk about EDC we still go to the range. Run drills and train together for any situation we might encounter.

Whoever was important enough to me that I didn't want to leave them in the dark I told during the process. I live in a city so that took about 7 weeks but my mom, dad, brothers, couple of close friends knew...no surprises.
    TN_Mike and RTTR84 like this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

My Dad is a gun person and had a permit and carried long before I was old enough to get my permit. He was still a little shocked that I carried when he found out. Parents are parents forever. They never stop thinking of you as their child and it is sometimes hard for them to remember that you are an adult. I am going through that with my oldest right now. he's 21. I still find myself thinking of him as a kid, and then I realize he isn't a kid anymore. It's just hard to make that mental transition. Some never successfully do it at all.
    RTTR84 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I have had a theory that you're only as old in your parent's eye's as your last major screw up...
    RTTR84 and RETSUPT99 like this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Not everyone spends time on gun websites every day, to most people the idea to carry really doesn't cross their mind - some don't even realize they can. I think think the presentation was poor, as was all the things you've done to it. I think a heads up of some sort, some small talk about the topic, etc should have been done first... get a feel for his take on it - not bring him to a one on one and hit him blindsided with a loaded gun on your side and proceed to unload it. I think it was a bit much all at once... but then again, nobody but you knows how your family flows on this board - just my thoughts.

You drive around in a TWO TON vehicle loaded with explosive petrol at 70MPH. OMGZ HELPPPP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    Whoever was important enough to me that I didn't want to leave them in the dark I told during the process. I live in a city so that took about 7 weeks but my mom, dad, brothers, couple of close friends knew...no surprises.
    Your post reminded me, I guess without really even knowing it my sister knows also, just by word of mouth from the family. Sometimes more people end up knowing that you intend to.

I'm lucky...or just reared by smart parents...I still carry my Dad's EDC 45 from time to time...I got it 27 years ago when he died...Sometimes I carry the .38 J frame my mom carried until recently...For me and my parents carrying is normal, NOT carrying is abnormal!...on the other hand, my 2 sisters...both reared around guns, hunting, and shooting, have nothing to do with guns at all anymore...
    RTTR84 likes this.

" The shoe was on the other foot"About 10 years ago I was the father in law who made an Ass out of myself. During a dinner my son in law stated he was carrying a pistol "In My House". He had just gotten his CHL for the main use while hunting. I do not know how I would have handled it back then if he used a more easier way to tell us.
    Oh the lessons I needed to learn, open brain before opening mouth.
    Anyway, Being a Dumb ass, I yelled and demanded that he take that gun out of my
    house. Ol' boy! I will never live that down from my daughter or son in law.
    Now that I have a pistol and a CHL, that scene was mentioned but not brought backup again.
    Oh Yeah, it haunts me to this day and I have never mentioned carrying again.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 22nd, 2012 at 03:32 AM. Reason: removed language work a rounds
    JBPDXOR

yah my dad knew weeks b4 hand i was getting my cwp and i told him when i got my lcp. he was a bit surprised when i told him i had it on me and asked him if he wanted to see it. of course he did and now he says he feels safe w/me around like im "his bodyguard". which is true. im everyone around me's bodyguard!
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

My father, knowing even what my job was, didn't want me to ever carry a handgun to his house. I had to tell him, then I can't come over..... because I may have to leave there and do things that would require I have it on me. So, he grumpily put up with it, and often let me know he still didn't like it.

Then, one day in his business.... a guy tried to rob him . My father is big and so was this guy. The guy sat his gun down a second to reach in the cash drawer, my father slammed his hand in the cash drawer and trying to keep the gun out of his reach... IT WAS "ON". The guy got free finally and rushed out the door, as my father then had possession of the gun. He felt lucky to get out of it alive. He bought a .357 the next day and always had it when at his business, etc. and had it real handy @ home or in his car.

Guess he changed his mind. All he ever said to me after that was, I understand now why you need your gun with you, and at times.... would ask ... " you have your gun on you , don't you ? ">.... wanting reassurance I was carrying.
    oneshot, Bark'n and Hoganbeg like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

My mother still sharpshoots me. I am 41.

Administrator
    Help me understand where the big shocker is in all this;

You say you wish you had more pro gun parents, your Dad go t rid of his guns that he did have... its pretty apparent to me that your parents are not gun people... but I'm just an outsider looking in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The fewer the people that know, the better. My fiancee is the only one who knows I carry daily.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links