Shocking comment from my dad the other day

This is a discussion on Shocking comment from my dad the other day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You have to break them in slowly. In my case it all happened years ago. I joined the DE State Police, invited them to my ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Shocking comment from my dad the other day

You have to break them in slowly. In my case it all happened years ago. I joined the DE State Police, invited them to my graduation ceremony from the Academy. Then stopped in several times a month for my lunch break in my fully marked vehicle and in full uniform, gun included. Took my dad with me to help me pick out an off-duty, concealed carry gun, (S&W 2" Airweight), and holster. Never mentioned it again!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

As far as my parents know overtly, I've never carried a gun but I also don't live at home and haven't carried around them much. I'm sure however that they ASSUME I carry at least some of the time since they got me a Glock 23 for Christmas and my Dad at least knows I bought a belt and a holster, neither one would ask point blank if I was carrying and I would never bring it up. My dad has a permit but does not carry and my mom is at best woefully indifferent to guns.

My whole family knows I carry, or assumes I do I would think, my wife, daughter, dad, brother n his wife, sister n her husband, and 3 of our friends took the CCW class a few months back, and all have their tickes as of now, the class was given at my home by an instructor who is a friend of ours.
    Now thats a family reunion ya do not want to mess with ... LOL ... Blessed to be from the country, where things are slow, people are good, and guns are second nature.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    Dad's are great, as long as they agree with you.

My Dad is a gun enthusiast, but with his own rules. He has no clue of the four safety commandments, and will always have his finger on the trigger when a gun is in his hand. Yet, considers himself the pinnacle of gun safety by always carrying an empty chamber. Anybody who does things differently than him is a moron in his mind.

There are some subjects that he and I just leave alone, and guns are one of them.

Haha I love this! I know a guy like that, always with the finger on the trigger, thankfully I've never been around him with a loaded gun.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Dad's are great, as long as they agree with you.

My Dad is a gun enthusiast, but with his own rules. He has no clue of the four safety commandments, and will always have his finger on the trigger when a gun is in his hand. Yet, considers himself the pinnacle of gun safety by always carrying an empty chamber. Anybody who does things differently than him is a moron in his mind.

There are some subjects that he and I just leave alone, and guns are one of them.

I've never had any sort of conversation like this with either of my parents. Neither of them has ever been a gun owner, and there were never any firearms in the house when I grew up. They know I own guns and shoot matches (or at least did before my kids were born). I've been a cop for the last 15 years, so obviously they know I carry a gun at work. I have never felt the need to mention that I carry off-duty, and they have never asked. I do carry all the time though, and that includes visits to their house, going out to eat with them, etc. It just isn't something we talk about.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

you broke thre rules.... you talked..... was no reason for it
    RTTR84 likes this.

My parents were down to visit a few months back, and my dad let me know he was purchasing a handgun for home defense, and had also just gotten a concealed carry permit. He says he doesnt plan to carry, but wanted to get the permit just in case. I had very recently gotten interested in getting a license here in FL myself. I convinced him to get some training, since he hadn't handled a firearm in probably 30+ years. So, he fully accepts what I am planning to do, and I don't anticipate any issues.

I also went thru my wife thinking I was crazy 3 months ago when I told her I wanted to start carrying. She was very uncomfortable with the idea. As i have mentioned in another post recently, I am lucky in that she is now looking to pick out her own carry gun (we like to shoot for fun already), and is planning to carry all of the time. Big change in just three months.

Sometimes it just takes some discussion, and acknowledgement after the discussion that the world ain't a pretty place, and just like anything else, a concealed firearm and some training is no different than an "insurance" policy of sorts...

To be honest - and please do not take this wrong - but I see no reasn for an adult to feel they should inform their parents of this personal decision - close family or not. Perhaps I understand feeling the need (perhaps seeking approval), but can't imagine ever feeling that way - even if my parents were still alive and even when I was much younger.

I have family that I am very close with and this would never occur to me. Seems to me it would be like calling my brother back so I could show him I had decided to pierce my.... (and no I haven't).

To each their own - not criticizing, but simply unable to relate - but when one decides to do something like this, they need to be prepared for the fact that others - even close family - may not approve.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    As Bark'n said, you could have taken a different approach, but oh well.
    Glad I don't have that problem.
    Mom, brother,BIL (son & nephew soon will) carries. Dad was running the idea around in '09 but we talked him out of it. He passed away New Years day 2010.

Not many of my relatives know.
    Only a couple friends, and guys at work who also have permits know, as we talk of firearms and such.

You are a Canadian, who lives in the US,?
    Do your parents still live in Canada?
    In your post you said when you were at your folks house you showed him the handgun?
    How did you do this?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Good for you for doing something that I as well need to do. My pop is one of the old schoolers-he's gonna look at me and say" what in the hell do you think you are gonna do with that thing?"LOL I just know thats what hes gonna say. Once I explain to him that my new job requires CC,he should back down just a bit.
    Im considering using your tactic and wearing a skirt when I show him! Might be an icebreaker!!! (of course,no disrespect meant here...)
    RTTR84 likes this.

Looks back, did i say skirt?

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    Good for you for doing something that I as well need to do. My pop is one of the old schoolers-he's gonna look at me and say" what in the hell do you think you are gonna do with that thing?"LOL I just know thats what hes gonna say. Once I explain to him that my new job requires CC,he should back down just a bit.
    Im considering using your tactic and wearing a skirt when I show him! Might be an icebreaker!!! (of course,no disrespect meant here...)

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    Looks back, did i say skirt?
    LOL!!! sorry! Thanks to my caffiene induced morning,I totally mis-read your post!! My apologies
    Still thinkin perhaps a skirt may not be a bad idea when I break the news to Pa....

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    LOL!!! sorry! Thanks to my caffiene induced morning,I totally mis-read your post!! My apologies
    Still thinkin perhaps a skirt may not be a bad idea when I break the news to Pa....
    Ps--my Dad is a Canadian like you-born in New Brunswick

Let me be a bit more positive here...just give it time, and I'll bet if you could take your dad to the range, educate him with the closeness of today's crime, he'll change his mind...big time!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links