Shocking comment from my dad the other day

This is a discussion on Shocking comment from my dad the other day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have also encountered people before who were more surprised that I had a "loaded" gun than the fact that I had a gun. Which ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Shocking comment from my dad the other day

I have also encountered people before who were more surprised that I had a "loaded" gun than the fact that I had a gun. Which makes no sense. I used to say that is like being surprised that somebody has a car and also keeps gasoline in it. Well, I guess that analogy is no good these days since I have a car that doesn't take gasoline. But you get the point.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I'll only comment on my own experience.

This is 2012 - I don't believe the fact that you cc has to be a "state secret".

I came to cc relatively late in life (after 40 )and wasn't raised in any special kind of "gun culture".
    I have grandkids now , live in a rural area, and am really close to retirement.

My kids, Sister, shooting buddies all know.

I don't put "Carries a gun"on my mailbox though.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I've been a gun guy for over a quarter century now.
    A few years ago, my girlfriend (now my wife) opened the drawer next to my bed and was aghast to see a gun.
    "What is that?"
    "It's a Glock. A G19 9mm, to be exact."
    "I've known you for years. But I didn't know you had a gun!"

Over the years, she's slowly gotten used to it.
    When I got my concealed carry license a few years back, she never complained even though I knew she was probably struggling with the idea of me actually carrying a gun.
    She rarely brings the subject up and will occasionally even comment, "Oh, c'mon, you don't need to bring the gun. We're only going to the store!" But I bring it anyway, saying with a smile, "Well, honey, you never know when you might need it ..."
    She has three kids, all of them in their twenties. I adore them and we've gotten close. The youngest, a college student, was talking to me one night about guns and how she thinks more people should carry them. I smiled and nodded and said, "I agree." Then reached into my wallet and flipped her my CCW license. She grinned.
    Slowly but surely, I've revealed to the family that I am armed most of the time, although I never let them know when I am and when I'm not (which is admittedly rare). The kids have either accepted it or don't want to think about it but it's never been an issue, luckily.
    I did tell my father-in-law over Christmas. We were talking about how many crazies there are out there and he told me his brother, who is in his seventies, carries a gun with him everywhere.
    "Well, Jim ... so do I."
    He never said a word. But I think he approves. It probably makes him feel better knowing his daughter and grandkids are protected by somebody who owns guns, carries them and knows how to use them.

Well, the older crowd among us sometimes were brought up with keeping guns and ammo separate unless hunting or shooting was in progress. Our rule was that when the guns were brought inside the house they had to be unloaded. Now these were just guns for hunting, .22's and occasional shotguns or deer rifles.

It has taken me some time to get over the nervous stomach feeling I would get crossing the threshold with a loaded gun. So don't be too hard on someone if they are not in the mindset of the necessity to have a loaded and ready handgun for self defense.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

So the whole telling your dad thing aside I was thinking about the comment you said he made today. My buddy that I shoot with and fellow CC holder and I have been going back and forth. He carries pretty much 100% of the time as do I. But he refuses to keep a round chambered. That to me is the equivalent of having an unloaded gun. Yeah sure the mag is full and locked in but if you have a direct threat against you chanced of you being able to draw and shoot in a close combat situation are pretty sucky and in general if the perp has the jump on you in the first place you are at a disadvantage. Add in needing to chamber a round and you're as good as dead. I've tried making this point to him but he still refuses.

Yes I carry a loaded weap with a round chambered. If I ever need to defend myself I'm not going to gimp myself before the confrontation even takes place. If pops has a problem with you carrying a loaded weap vs having to load up when needed toss a similar scenario at him. When it comes down to it and you life or the life of your loved ones are on the line you need to be prepared.

I am also a believer that concealed means concealed. However I apply that definition to general public... If the majority of people in this country are only exposed to guns in a negative way (ex. press, movies, anti's, etc...) then what do you think will happen long term when those children grow up to be politicians??? I say let the gun remain concealed when in public, but to be a positive front for close friends and family by not only telling them that you carry, but why it is safe, legal, and ethical. If we treat carrying concealed as taboo, then that is exactly what it will become... However if we try our best to educate at least those close to us, then ccw will not only become less of a "shock" to others, it will hopefully encourage others to pursue it as well. I NEVER "flaunt" or show anyone, but if the subject of guns comes up, or someone brings up being interested in ccw, I am MORE than happy to explain the process, safety, statistics, or anything else in my bag of "knowledge tools" that can help encourage, or at least downplay "the scary factor" of someone that ccw's...

Long story short OP, i think you did the right thing... Your dad now may realize that not only is ccw itself not as taboo as he once realized, but also that carrying one in the chamber is not as taboo either...

Very important

just my $.02
    MadMac and WHEC724 like this.

My Dad would have told me to be careful carrying a loaded weapon. Mom would have wanted to know how many extra magazines I carried. Her mom and grandmother (My grandmother and great-grandmother) always packed heat. They were tough old birds!

Funny,my Dad(now gone and missed dearly),being a Vietnam vet,and Gulf War 1 vet had the same reaction,sometimes they just don't expect it.

Let it soak in, I bet he will be more at easy as time goes by.
    No damn man kills me and lives.
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

At our annual Christmas family gathering I pulled out my weeks old concealed carry license and passed it around. Everyone wanted to see it. Not one person asked if I was carrying. I wasn't. My family is very pro gun.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links