Shocking comment from my dad the other day

This is a discussion on Shocking comment from my dad the other day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I thought it was time to let my dad know that I conceal carry, I mean he is other than my mom the closest ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Shocking comment from my dad the other day

Shocking comment from my dad the other day

So I thought it was time to let my dad know that I conceal carry, I mean he is other than my mom the closest family I have, and just so he didn't potentially freak out if it got exposed while I'm in his home I thought it was a good idea.

So I bring him in a back room away from everyone else just as to not startle anyone, I said hey let me show you something, lifted my shirt and slowly turned towards him to expose my IWB carried Glock at the 4 O'Clock position... His first response was, YOU CARRY THAT ON YOU? We had a little talk and so on, so I unholstered it, and explained to him from a distance some of the things I've added or done to it, proceeded to then remove the magazine and unchamber the round, his bursts out, YOU WALK AROUND WITH A LOADED GUN? I was in utter shock for a second and responded, "wait what? what good is a guns without any bullets?"

Now my father isn't an anti gun person he has owned rifles in the past, let me rephrase that, he owned rifles like 40 years ago. But I never expected that kind of response from an educated business man.

EDIT: I wanna note that It's late and I kinda worded this wrong a little, in no way shape or form did I just whip out the gun like it kinda sounded like I did, we had been talking about the addition of my TruGlo night sights to the Glock a couple days, maybe a week before hand and I said I'd bring it by when I get them installed per his request, so I explained to him I had it with me, and on me right now, thats when his response of "you carry it on you came in" before I even lifted my shirt.

Some people felt I presented wrong, I guess it's one of those things you have to be there, as far as for going around and telling everyone, there are now only 2 people (well I guess 3 cause I assume my dad told my mom so it makes it easier on my part) but obviously my CCW wife knows.

2. Remove Ads

Well now he know. You don't need to talk about it anymore..given the responce.
    JerryMac likes this.

Maybe it was more in the way you presented it.

I would have just sat down and told him I had a ccw permit and have gone through the proper training and background checks for the permit and let it go at that. I wouldn't have showed him until he asked to see it, if ever.

In my case, my dad already knew I was a gun enthusiast for a long time and he also knew I was a tactical medic on a swat team long before my state had concealed carry. He told me once he just assumed I was armed. I never really told him anything until one day he asked what I was carrying.

I stayed at his house for a week while attending a swat course once and had my AR-15, shotgun, G-23 and 1911 with me but I only broke them out of their cases when I cleaned them after the days shooting.

I did my best to downplay the role of weapons and it never became a big issue.

One time when he was at the house visiting (we live about 100 miles away) he was rather surprised at my arsenal. But agreed that guns hold their value and are a good investment.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Maybe it was more in the way you presented it.
    Yep
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I can understand the emotional 'need' to share your carry status with your dad, but at the same time I hold a lot of reservations about telling even close family members that I'm almost always armed.

My dad got sick and was incapacitated before I got my ticket and started carrying. He always told me he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the 1911 when he was in training in WWII, and so I longed to show him MY 1911 and how accurate is was. That never happened, but unless he would have asked me directly, I still would never have volunteered the fact that I carry. In a sense, it's as personal as your sexual practices, politics and religion. Best kept private unless someone else has a need to know.

Bark'n - I'd like to think my dad would have been like yours. He appreciated guns and liked shooting, but my mother was terrified of them so he kept his shooting notions in check.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My dad knew months in advance that I had a conceal pistol permit I talked to him about it, and he knew I had guns. I don't think the way I presented it was totally inappropriate, in fact a week before showing him I talked to him on the phone about winning the night sights that are currently on it, and his response in the end was "I'd like to see"

Actually now that I think about it he keeps on insisting I take him out shooting on his dime. I dunno I just thought the reaction was a bit extreme. But apparently I'm in the wrong so ignore the thread and lets move on. Also just for the record as much as it sounded like it in my typing if just whipping it out, I told him what I was about to show him before I lifted my shirt.

I think that a lot of people believe that the odds of being involved in a situation requiring a gun are far less than the odds of an accident happening with said gun. In other words, the risk of carrying the gun is a lot higher than the risk of needing one.

That's the main argument I've encountered.

Level of education has nothing to do with it.

My mom still doesn't believe I'd want to carry a loaded gun even though she was the one that bought me the damn thing.

Society as it is fast becoming is not the same society that our parents or grandparents grew up in. As our dollars keep losing their purchasing power at a more increased pace, more and more social unrest will become the norm. At least when our parents and grandparents were coming up, the dollar still had some strength. The populace back then was more settled and happy, so our elders were naturally more trusting of their fellow man. Now, unless they change with the times, I'm afraid they may eventually be in a position in which they wish they had a loaded gun handy.

As the SHTF, you better be armed for your own safety. There's no way there will ever be enough cops.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I think that a lot of people believe that the odds of being involved in a situation requiring a gun are far less than the odds of an accident happening with said gun. In other words, the risk of carrying the gun is a lot higher than the risk of needing one.

That's the main argument I've encountered.

Level of education has nothing to do with it.
    I have no doubt that is true. Especially for those who aren't part of the gun culture. We all know that's an erroneous assumption, but perception is their reality none the less.
    Guest1 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    You don't want to freak someone out in case you accidentally expose, so you deliberately expose. Got it.

You told your dad you carried. Good for you, as you really didn't have to let him know in any way shape or form that you carried. I get that same response from some people who never knew I carried a handgun (mind you I've carried since I was 21 and am 59 now. If dad can't get past your decision to carry, then it's his problem, not yours (just in case he may continue to ask you why you carry a loaded gun) My response to the "you carry a loaded gun" comment may have been yes I do and when your in the woods hunting, you don't chamber a round when you see the animal you're hunting now do you? Just to see his reaction.
    I have 2 sons, 21 and 23 respectively, and have asked them to get their CCW permits so they both can start carrying, which they did, and have their CCW Licenses. They both have already gone thru a CCW course and accept the responsibility of CCW. The first point I have stressed to them is, to not let too many people, even their closest friends know that they are carrying. The fewer who know, the better, until of course, when the need to draw and defend themselves.
    I hope your dad sees things in a better light, and doesn't give you grief over your decision to carry.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

My father got one of those Southeastern Asian tours they were handing out to the young guys in the late '60s. He knows the score. He knows I carry. To quote him, "You're naked without a gun."

To the OP: well, just lifting your shirt and saying CHECK THIS OUT might have not been the best way to go about it. If your dad would have been a bit more of an enthusiast, you would not only have gotten away with it, he'd have probably frowned said, "You know, I've been thinking about picking one of those up." But it didn't run like that. All you can do is let it go. He probably won't mention it again. I am sure you don't have his disapproval, but he may wonder why you think you need to carry, or wonders what it is you do and where you go that you feel you need a gun (as do most of the non-packers). You are his son, so he worries.

Oh he got over it within the hour that I carry, which I'd hope so cause he very well knew that I have for about a year now. It was just the comment I couldn't fathom that someone would seriously question having it loaded.

On a side note I finally have gotten across some what recently to my anti gun sister that it's not such a happy world out there, she's a single mom of 2 kids and has in the past few weeks called me to tell me about the crime she's heard about in the area, was an easy persuading on my part cause I never really at all talked about guns to her before hand, she had just found out that I have a few in the past couple years, and I guess some people do come around.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    You told your dad you carried. Good for you, as you really didn't have to let him know in any way shape or form that you carried. I get that same response from some people who never knew I carried a handgun (mind you I've carried since I was 21 and am 59 now. If dad can't get past your decision to carry, then it's his problem, not yours (just in case he may continue to ask you why you carry a loaded gun) My response to the "you carry a loaded gun" comment may have been yes I do and when your in the woods hunting, you don't chamber a round when you see the animal you're hunting now do you? Just to see his reaction.
    I have 2 sons, 21 and 23 respectively, and have asked them to get their CCW permits so they both can start carrying, which they did, and have their CCW Licenses. They both have already gone thru a CCW course and accept the responsibility of CCW. The first point I have stressed to them is, to not let too many people, even their closest friends know that they are carrying. The fewer who know, the better, until of course, when the need to draw and defend themselves.
    I hope your dad sees things in a better light, and doesn't give you grief over your decision to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    To the OP: well, just lifting your shirt and saying CHECK THIS OUT might have not been the best way to go about it.
    In an earlier post I explained that I kinda worded it wrong, and I explained to him the pistol before exposing anything.

Maybe if I open carried the whole situation would be different for everyone, haha. I couldn't ever do that though, I like to keep a low key and not to attract any unwanted attention.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links