Post Office

This is a discussion on Post Office within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the Post Office yesterday and a sign on the door says (Weapons Prohibited on Post Office Property), so I am assuming then ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Post Office

Post Office

I went to the Post Office yesterday and a sign on the door says (Weapons Prohibited on Post Office Property), so I am assuming then I would be illegal to even leave a weapon in your vehicle while doing your business...

2. Remove Ads

That is how I interpret it.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Judging from what I saw on http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf I would say in the car is ok...

on page 3 see section (b) line 1

I do not believe that federal law prohibits weapons in the parking lot of the post office either.

I am no lawyer so do not take my word for it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    I went to the Post Office yesterday and a sign on the door says (Weapons Prohibited on Post Office Property), so I am assuming then I would be illegal to even leave a weapon in your vehicle while doing your business...
    Postal property is considered Federal property both in the building and parking lot. Carry of any firearm at any time is Prohibited. My wife works for the post office use to be a postmaster I checked it again with her and there is no way around it. The law is the same as on any Military base.
    If you leave it in you car you must park onthe street not in the lot. By law but I wonder how or why anyone would ever check.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the parking lot is part of the post office--meaning not a post office branch in a common strip mall--it is considered post office property and included in the prohibited area. However, I don't know of any cases where vehicles were randomly searched for weapons in a USPS parking lot.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

18 USC 930 and 39 CFR 232.1. covers it all it over rides all state law a CC and open carry law.
    Long read but this is the short version
    (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

GM
    Excerpt from http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...l1-part232.pdf
    (39 CFR 232 - CONDUCT ON POSTAL PROPERTY)

Title 39 – Postal Services
    Chapter 1 - United States Postal Services
    Subchapter D – Organization and Administration

PART 232—CONDUCT ON POSTAL PROPERTY

§ 232 Conduct on postal property.
    (a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property. This section shall not apply to—
    (i) Any portions of real property, owned or leased by the Postal Service, that are leased or subleased by the Postal Service to private tenants for their exclusive use;
    (ii) With respect to sections 232.1(h)(1) and 232.1(o), sidewalks along the street frontage of postal property falling within the property lines of the Postal Service that are not physically distinguishable from adjacent municipal or other public sidewalks, and any paved areas adjacent to such sidewalks that are not physically distinguishable from such sidewalks.

(b) Inspection, recording presence. (1) Purses, briefcases, and other containers brought into, while on, or being removed from the property are subject to inspection. However, items brought directly to a postal facility’s customer mailing acceptance area and deposited in the mail are not subject to inspection, except as provided by section 274 of the Administrative Support Manual. A person arrested for violation of this
    section may be searched incident to
    that arrest.

(2) Vehicles and their contents brought into, while on, or being removed from restricted nonpublic areas are subject to inspection. A prominently displayed sign shall advise in advance that vehicles and their contents are subject to inspection when entering the restricted nonpublic area, while in the confines of the area, or when leaving the area. Persons entering these areas who object and refuse to consent to the inspection of the vehicle, its contents, or both, may be denied entry; after entering the area without objection, consent shall be implied. A full search of a person and any vehicle driven or occupied by the person may accompany an arrest.

(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
    Last edited by GM; January 21st, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Judging from what I saw on http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf I would say in the car is ok...

I do not believe that federal law prohibits weapons in the parking lot of the post office either.

Hey 357: Glad you put your disclaimer in there. As others have answered, it gets tricky as to whether the parking lot is US Government or not. If it is, you are in violation. It is not as if they check every car on some sort of scheduled basis and, in actuality, never do (if someone can tell me that there car was given a random check for firearms it would be interesting to know the circumstances for same--like a shooting recently occurred there etc etc). Parking lot could be private, in which case have at it. The law is crazy sometimes but then again our whole system of government these days is an asylum run by the inmates--but that is a different story.

a lot of the answer depends on the PO facility, if it is a free standing government owned facility I would think that guns are not permitted on the entire property, however many post offices are in rentals like in a strip mall, if that is the case the parking lot would be OK to have your gun in, just not in the actual post office. Lastly some businesses have postal offices within, I would be wary of using that kind of facility when armed.
    the bottom line is never enter any postal facility when armed and be careful not to go onto postal property if armed.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post

I am sorry, but I think you are mistaking; be careful so you do not get into trouble. See post #7.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The IRS which is again another Government operation doesn't allow firearms even in vehicles in the parking lot.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't go visibly strapping/unstrapping in the parking lot. Concealed means concealed.
    With all due respect Chad, this is not the kind of advice you should be sharing with others. It is, most likely, true, but you are telling a public forum that it is ok to break the law--not the responsible thing to be saying. You never know who is reading and compiling information on matters relating to public institutions and buildings. Paranoid? Probably. Still not a great idea.

VIP Member
    Section

The section dealing with firearms on postal property:
    "(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes."

The penalty for violating that regulation:
    "(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than $50 or
    imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations of any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated."

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    The IRS which is again another Government operation doesn't allow firearms even in vehicles in the parking lot.
    How ironic...since the IRS does all the robbing.
    Charles07 and Rock and Glock like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't go visibly strapping/unstrapping in the parking lot. Concealed means concealed.
    And if you get arrested you can plead insanity by telling the court you got your advice from Chad.

CANT is one thing....telling somebody to possibly break a law is just flat out wrong

Links